Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's LOVE or HATE debate : Rod Stewart

Most of his stuff with the Faces IMO is a bit overated. They were mostly a dull pub blues band with the odd exeption (Handbags, Maggie May etc)
I met him a few years ago whilst working on Tonights the Night the musical written by Ben Elton bassed around Rods songs and he was a complete cock. Arrogant,self opinionated, unfriendly piece of slime in fact.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
The Faces stuff was quality. Would rather pour boiling water into my ears than listen to pretty much anything he's done for the last 30 years. Why would you want to pretend to be a sweatie? There's something not right with the bloke.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Brilliant! Quite fit too (must be the hair and slim physique that does it for me!!!) I do prefer his earlier music rather than his latest rehashes of old songs.

Went to a concert of his years ago at the Brighton Centre. After waiting a long time for him to come on stage, with apologies being made by the compere about the late start, we were finally told he was indisposed and couldn't make it. The tickets were valid for a later date. Rumour had it that he was not ill but had been "enjoying himself" too much the night before!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Rod is excellent. Occasionally cheesy, but a brilliant voice.

Apparently all his ex-wives are great friends and they meet up with the kids at Rod's for Christmas! If any of my ex's met up it would be carnage.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
I think Rod is excellent. Occasionally cheesy, but a brilliant voice.

Apparently all his ex-wives are great friends and they meet up with the kids at Rod's for Christmas! If any of my ex's met up it would be carnage.

I would rather, I would rather go blonde boy
Than to see you walk away from me, child

*COAT*

Rod's early singles were great, and those records with Jeff Beck stood out.

The torch-singer-gone-lounge is especially crap though. I always hoped he would go back to the blues stuff and do a tribute to BB Muddy etc, but I don't think he can because he's 'too satisfied' to sing blues.

His house is like an antique shop, something your great grandma would have liked.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
jimmyseagull said:
His really early stuff with Jeff Beck was quite good but went downhill after that.

I agree with that. I have those albums somewhere.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Great stuff with Jeff Beck, Faces and solo up to 1975. Utter tosh ever since.

To qoute Greil Marcus no artist 'has ever prostituted their talent so completely'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Love him and most of his stuff.
I got the American song book volume 4 for Christmas and want more.
Do you think I'm sexy, Maggie May - Sailing
great stuff

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Went to see him at Earls Court just before Christmas - with wife and some friends. Must admit I was slightly sceptical, but it was a FANTASTIC show!

30 songs in 2.5 hours - with a great mix of old stuff and some American song book.

He's very into CELTIC - scarves, big logo on the stage, clips of video etc...

He is a great entertainer - and it was a great night out :clap2:

It's a bit weird how he fixates on his heritage (his pop's from Glasgow) so much, I think he surrounds himself with sweaty socks like Dennis Law, and whenever the charity game between England and Scotland takes place here in Los Angeles, he's puffing away for the Scots (sub nowadays and puts in only about 25 minutes).
He also thought himself a bit of a negro soul for a while, so I spose he's always been searching for identity.

His earliest singles included Good Morning Little Schoolgirl(Muddy tune), Gonna Move to The Outskirts (BBKing number), Shake (Sam Cooke). He also did a pretty decent 'Old Man River' with Jeff Beck - though the flipside 45 version of Beck's 'Rock My Plimsoul' (reworked from 'Rock Me Baby' another BBKing/Hosea piece) is still my all-around favourite rendition by him and JB.

One has to nod respect for the outstanding vocal on 'I've Been Drinking', and 'In A Broken Dream'. His solo period produced the material that brought him fame, such gems as 'Mandolin Wind', 'Reason To Believe' and 'Maggie May', which he parleted into hits with The Faces, - with who he replaced The voice of the 60's, Steve Marriott - such as 'You Can Make Me Dance, Sing, or Anything', 'Stay With Me', and 'I Wish It Would Rain'.

Personally I despised his disco shite like 'Sexy' and the torchsongs like 'Rhythm of My Heart' and 'Sailing' - but occasional redemptions came in the way of 'I Don't Wanna Talk About It', 'Tonight's The Night', 'Downtown Train', 'My Heart Can't Tell You No' and the WONDERFUL Beck re-union for 'People Get Ready'.

footnote;- discovered drunkenly crooning on Twickenham Station after a night on the lash by Long John Baldry, he joined the 'Hoochie Coochie Men' with Baldry and sang duet with Long John on 'Up Above My Head'. Brief appearances in many other bands along the way included Quiet Melon with Art Wood (Ron's bro and leader of the great 60's R'n B band; The Artwoods), and Steampacket with Brian Auger, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Baldry. Worth seeking out, is his one amazing orchestrated tune with Pete Bardens' 'Shotgun Express' called "I Could Feel The Whole World Turn Round".

footnote2; the stomach-pump rumour has to be bullshit, and perhaps started by a disgruntled bandmember chucked out of his band....i.e. Gary Grainger ex-axeman of the band Strider maybe, who was unceremoniously elbowed (just a theory, that is mine, ahem).
Anyway, why would anyone need their stomach pumped for that, and even then, why would the contents get tested for it?

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would doubt it. He was already doing well with the Faces in the mid 60's.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Yorkie said:

i meant early 60s (it was early when i did the post :yawn: ) i suppose the clue was in "before he hit it big time" :D im almost sure he did either stay on a houseboat with a friend, or live in one for a while though, im sure he once made referance to it in an interview on telly, Parkinson maybe ? .........not that its any big deal i suppose anyway :lolol: :lolol: hardly life saving info really:p

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every Picture Tells a Story and Never a Dull Moment are excellent albums. He still sounds good today even if a bit schmaltzy but in comparison to the "sold out" Paul McCartney, Rod's recent recent stuff is outstanding :p

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:

Mid sixties was the Small Faces with the massively better Stevie Marriott as lead singer. I believe Rod was asked to join when Marriott left and that wasn't until late 60's early 70's?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I went to see him at the hieght of his powers in 1976 and he was great - Britt Eckland at the side of the stage, kicking footballs into the audience, long versions of Maggie May, lots of drinking etc (fond memories of scantily clad women at the gig too)

Every Picture.... and Smiler are great old albums.

Went to see him again about 5 years ago and he was a parody of himself - big stadiums, poor quality and just went thru the song book and promoted the new album.

"Sailing" - possibly the worst song ever recorded by a "serious selling" artiste (perhaps second to "Ebony and Ivory")

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here