Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Today’s Euros Games

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Given how low scoring we are, fair chance it goes to pens.

Would be the ultimate ghost slaying if we could beat the Germans on pens.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Wondering if we've ever met the Germans this early on in a tournament?

Usually it's at the quarter finals and beyond, isn't it?

Euro 2000 we were in the same group and both got eliminated by Portugal and Romania.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Wondering if we've ever met the Germans this early on in a tournament?

Usually it's at the quarter finals and beyond, isn't it?

1982 WC - we played them first game in the second group stage, which I guess is the equivalent.

2010 WC - played them in the second round (last 16).

Not sure we have ever met them in the quarter-finals? [edit - oh, see post #180] I think we have only actually met them about 5 times in tournaments (outside of qualifiers) - the first of which was 1966.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spain, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, France all in the other half of the draw to us :rave:

Say what you like about Southgate, and I frequently do, but he can't half pick the right side of the draw.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's take all the history out of it for now.

Germany have played well once this tournament having had terrible form over the last few years and are replacing their manager.

We're at home and haven't conceded a goal so far.

It's not like we're likely to start as clear favourites, but I fancy our chances with what we've seen of Die Mannschaft so far.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Would’ve been great to have had Hungary, but in the end that Germany goal saw us miss France so on balance I think you have to take the draw we’ve ended up with. Yeah, Germany seem to have an Indian sign over us when it comes to knockout games but this time I genuinely think we are better than them. Look at it this way:

• 5 out of the 6 top ranked sides at the tournament are in the other half of the draw. The only one that isn’t is England.
  • Denmark, ranked 10th in the world, are the highest ranked team in our side of the draw.
  • Only one side (Austria) in the other half of the draw are ranked outside the top 14. Germany are ranked 12th.
  • The average ranking of the other half of the draw is 8.9. Ours is 17.3 (minus England).

It’s indisputable that we have a more favourable route than those in the upper half of the draw. Germany: we mustn’t fear the name or the history. They’re ranked below the likes of Denmark and Mexico for a reason - they ain’t all that. They’ve just laboured to a 2-2 draw against Hungary with home advantage, and were very recently beaten by the footballing powerhouse that is North Macedonia.

They will be more frightened of us, at Wembley, than we are of them. In many ways, this draw is better than Hungary. If we had beaten them, we’d be no more than the flat track bullies we apparently were at the World Cup. In Germany we have a ‘name’, and in beating them confidence in the team will grow and the dissenting voices will dissipate.

And we will beat them. Mark my words.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets see how many tedious "I don't give a shit about England" GUMBO'S turn their noses up for England vs Germany next week then.

Not that they'd ever admit it.

I'm now in my conflicted stage.
(I'd still be 'out, out out' were it not hypothesised GS might have looked at our squad and thought 'actually we're a little bit shite' so if we're going to win we need to win like the 'losers' win, not win like 'Champions').

Win on Tuesday, I'm in the bus queue & will I'll stop calling Jnr a penis for wearing his knock off England hat.

Next up Quarter Finals - hesitantly getting on the bus.

After that, well we'll cross that bridge if England come to it.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
What's the point of being at the Euros if we don't play Germany? If we lose, that's what we all expected. On the other hand if we win no other team would give that same feeling of the script being miraculously torn to pieces.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Germany match has given Southgate a chance to exorcise his own demons. I think he will embrace that and may lead him to be more positive in his mindset and team selection.

The draw has been kind.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Would’ve been great to have had Hungary, but in the end that Germany goal saw us miss France so on balance I think you have to take the draw we’ve ended up with. Yeah, Germany seem to have an Indian sign over us when it comes to knockout games but this time I genuinely think we are better than them. Look at it this way:

• 5 out of the 6 top ranked sides at the tournament are in the other half of the draw. The only one that isn’t is England.
  • Denmark, ranked 10th in the world, are the highest ranked team in our side of the draw.
  • Only one side (Austria) in the other half of the draw are ranked outside the top 14. Germany are ranked 12th.
  • The average ranking of the other half of the draw is 8.9. Ours is 17.3 (minus England).

It’s indisputable that we have a more favourable route than those in the upper half of the draw. Germany: we mustn’t fear the name or the history. They’re ranked below the likes of Denmark and Mexico for a reason - they ain’t all that. They’ve just laboured to a 2-2 draw against Hungary with home advantage, and were very recently beaten by the footballing powerhouse that is North Macedonia.

They will be more frightened of us, at Wembley, than we are of them. In many ways, this draw is better than Hungary. If we had beaten them, we’d be no more than the flat track bullies we apparently were at the World Cup. In Germany we have a ‘name’, and in beating them confidence in the team will grow and the dissenting voices will dissipate.

They looked to me as though they were trying (for a while) for a third goal. Maybe they were trying to avoid England?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

This.

It's the perfect time to play a decidedly average German side who are there for the taking.

Time to unshackle ourselves from the past and create new memories of Germany which young England fans will look back on with pride in years to come.

I can't wait.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Good post, still not sure if I share your optimism that we will beat them though! Just feels like the hoodoo lingers over us and can just envisage us putting in a lethargic display, if we play to our strengths and play an attacking line up I'll feel a bit more buoyant.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Good post, still not sure if I share your optimism that we will beat them though! Just feels like the hoodoo lingers over us and can just envisage us putting in a lethargic display, if we play to our strengths and play an attacking line up I'll feel a bit more buoyant.

I felt the same about our penalty hoodoo against Colombia at the last World Cup. Ultimately, I believe that any so-called hoodoo is of our minds own making, some kind of collective inferiority complex as a nation. The fact is I believe that in the here and now we have a better side than Germany, simple as that.

This is England, managed by Gareth Southgate, versus Germany at Wembley - almost exactly 25 years since Gareth Southgate himself missed the decisive penalty against Germany at Wembley at Euro 96.

The story is simply waiting to write itself.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji123]

I’m with you. But I do recall feeling similarly at WC 2010. And Germany destroyed us that day.

Fortunately very different circumstances now. That team of ours was at the end of its cycle, now we’re at the start of a new exciting generation. And we’re at home. So we definitely have a great chance.

I’ll happily take a tight 1-0 or 2-1, but god help us if it goes to penalties against the Germans. That could be brutal.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some great games coming up. Hopefully Sweden should be able to beat Ukraine. Not too afraid of England or Germany. O

bviously those teams should be able to beat Sweden but its no mission impossible - got a good record against England. And going from 4-0 down to 4-4 vs Germany is still in fresh memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQ6KOG4TEk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
[emoji123]

I’m with you. But I do recall feeling similarly at WC 2010. And Germany destroyed us that day.

Fortunately very different circumstances now. That team of ours was at the end of its cycle, now we’re at the start of a new exciting generation. And we’re at home. So we definitely have a great chance.

I’ll happily take a tight 1-0 or 2-1, but god help us if it goes to penalties against the Germans. That could be brutal.

I hear you, and I can hear that voice in the back of my head as well. But for context, in 2010 Germany were ranked 2 places above us, whereas now we are 8 places ahead of them.

I can see why people get frustrated by Southgate’s approach, but one thing I think he is very good at is getting players in the right mental state, and that will be crucial against the Germans (who themselves are approaching a the end of an era with what could be Low’s last game in charge). Add to that the Wembley advantage and we have every right to be bullish and feel confident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here