Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today is my first day of signing on........

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well it ain't as much fun as I hoped for one thing they made me apply for a position at Worthing Job Centre which I aint got to take until 13 weeks or something!!! I was there ages by the time I got to Mcdonalds they had stopped serving brekkie.

Bill my advisor was a bundle of laughs, I actually got a bollocking for not turning up yesterday but I already told them I had a lunch appointment with a view to obtaining a specially created position with the R/I market, but I still had to fill out another form . I didn't even get any dough I get that Wednesday apparently!!! Good Job we didn't go to a titty bar yesterday as I had to sign a sort of affidavit as to where I was and a what time when I should have been signing..............and you can't lie it says so on the wall posters got to go on the 18th at 11am.

:thud:

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
HB&B - did you complete your job seeking planner thingy with the job seeking activities you've done in last 2 weeks?

I've done way more than the 3 required a week so hoping they'll see I'm trying and give me an easier ride than you had!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
HB&B - did you complete your job seeking planner thingy with the job seeking activities you've done in last 2 weeks?

I've done way more than the 3 required a week so hoping they'll see I'm trying and give me an easier ride than you had!

All my work comes via email application so all I do it copy the applications from mu In box to a text file that I print off. I have only once had anybody query it (that was in Worthing) but as it tends to have rather a lot of applications on it they seldom bother.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
All my work comes via email application so all I do it copy the applications from mu In box to a text file that I print off. I have only once had anybody query it (that was in Worthing) but as it tends to have rather a lot of applications on it they seldom bother.

Ah thanks for that.

Well I've just listed all the actions I've taken, emails sent/received, phone calls made/received etc on the planner thing they give you

It's my first ever time of signing on so not sure how it all works anyway. If I get grief, I'll plead ignorance and ask them to guide me to doing it properly.

Nothing on my planner is a lie, it's all traceable if I do need to provide evidence

Getting a bit nervous now haha! Expecting to get a major dressing down or something! When I went in to apply, they were all very pleasant. I usually try and act quite humble in situations like this. I don't think being too assertive/bolshy stands you any favours with DWP, but more to be grateful what what you are getting from them

The assertiveness you save for getting employers to employ you instead of the other 500 applying for the same job! :lol:

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Yes I had 4 entries in my Job Search Diary I put I looked in The Argus, Post Magazine, Insurance Times and of course yesterday's luncheon I will follow all up next week of course (what will you do next) I put on my Job Seekers agreement that I would consider a position within the Civil Service hence the Worthing Job which I am not going to take if offered I would rather sign off!!!

Thing is I wouldn't mind that job! I might ask them about it. sorry to steal it off you :lol: but needs must and all that!

Off now, report back later!

D

Deleted User X18H

AVS don't go yet the Job Number is' WRT16085 Executive Officer 'the closing date has been extended

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Now that's avery good idea.

Maybe a list of online job application sites would be good here

Always use http://www.jobserve.com meself :thumbsup:

It's all so much easier now than it was in the days when I signed on to the old Professional and Executive Register.

What I needed to do then was tell them that I had a degree in social anthropology, and that I was hoping to get employment as a social anthropologist in Brighton (or Hove, since I was prepared to travel). This set the regular stream of giro cheques flowing. I then had to call into their office six months later and tell them I wasn't having much luck finding the job I wanted. They were very sympathetic and wished me better luck in the following six months. The giros kept coming.

You young people just don't realise how HARD it used to be for us OLDIES.

D

Deleted User X18H

But where did you obtain this fanciful degree my Lord??

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Now that's avery good idea.

Maybe a list of online job application sites would be good here

Always use http://www.jobserve.com meself :thumbsup:

I use Jobserve but recently I've been using Job Site as well. To be honest the Job Centre web site is quite useless. I actually had to complain about one form on there. They were advertising for PC engineers but only on an Ad Hoc basis. The problem was that they wanted you to pay £350 for 'spares' before you started. You can see how carefully the Job Centre vetting is, bear in mind that advertisers pay nothing to use their site and you'll realise why they're not much use.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's all so much easier now than it was in the days when I signed on to the old Professional and Executive Register.

What I needed to do then was tell them that I had a degree in social anthropology, and that I was hoping to get employment as a social anthropologist in Brighton (or Hove, since I was prepared to travel). This set the regular stream of giro cheques flowing. I then had to call into their office six months later and tell them I wasn't having much luck finding the job I wanted. They were very sympathetic and wished me better luck in the following six months. The giros kept coming.

You young people just don't realise how HARD it used to be for us OLDIES.

There was a brief period where you signed by post ! Love to meet the idiot that thought of that ! Naive isn't the word.

Yes, but you only got half a crown and three farthings a week back then.
Not at all. I got Unemployment Benefit AND they paid my rent in full.

How the hell I was supposed to afford to keep myself in beer never crossed their minds. I had to fall back on what I had managed to save out of the student grant I had previously received.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well it ain't as much fun as I hoped for one thing they made me apply for a position at Worthing Job Centre which I aint got to take until 13 weeks or something!!! I was there ages by the time I got to Mcdonalds they had stopped serving brekkie.

Bill my advisor was a bundle of laughs, I actually got a bollocking for not turning up yesterday but I already told them I had a lunch appointment with a view to obtaining a specially created position with the R/I market, but I still had to fill out another form . I didn't even get any dough I get that Wednesday apparently!!! Good Job we didn't go to a titty bar yesterday as I had to sign a sort of affidavit as to where I was and a what time when I should have been signing..............and you can't lie it says so on the wall posters. Got to go again on the 18th at 11am.

That sounds bleak. Seriously Tim its all been jolly hockeysticks and 2 month trips to Cornwall and no work for 6 months but the game is up. You are lucky you got paid for 6 months for doing diddly squat and have a lump sum which you would not get if you were self employed and your profession had been dessimated. I think the fun and games may be over and the lump sum won't last for ever. You must have 25 years + working life yet and its time to Man up and stop taking the piss out of everyone mug enough to have to work for a living. Its a serious comment to a bloke I know is a decent sort really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here