Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toads Hole Valley - Argus Letters Page

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Anybody care to write to the Argus putting this chap straight about how "free" the site is.

From the Argus:

"Letter: A new park?

The best site for Albion in Brighton may be Falmer but the best site of all is at Toad's Hole and the last obstacle has now been overcome with a free offer of the land.

Access is easy via the bypass from a new slip road, Hove Station is not much further than it was from the Goldstone and for thousands of locals, as before, it's not far to walk. Who would walk to Falmer?

With careful landscaping and planting, this could be a new park for the people of Hove.

-D Higgins, Hove"

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh dear.

This is one of the problems of believing a story written in the Argus; a story written by some lazy hack not in possession of all the facts, and leapt on by a pillock with no sense of direction, distance or cost.

The Argus really does pick 'em.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
How does he figure it's not much further from Hove than the Goldstone was? The Goldstone was right next to the station.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I saw that. Why is it that it's only the people that know the least, that seem to write to the Argus?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
dougdeep said:
I saw that. Why is it that it's only the people that know the least, that seem to write to the Argus?

They just put those ones in to stir up a reaction. The sad thing for the Argus is that it is written in response to an article written by an ill-informed journalist who didn't use all the facts.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What a f***ing DILNUT. Him and the ARGUS who had worked there way back into many people's good books with some very supportive writing about Falmer. Now WHY would you KNOWINGLY print lies on your letters page?

Free offer of land? Please.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Now WHY would you KNOWINGLY print lies on your letters page?

Well they printed them in the original article that he is probably using for the basis of his argument so I don't think the letters page makes much difference really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
f*** sake.
The Argus are well aware of the strings attached as regards Toads Hole and the so called "free site" for us there - the Argus were present at the Inquiry. It pisses me off when they go ahead regardless and publish crap like this fully in the knowledge that it is ill-informed shite. All it does is spread more misinformation and inaccuracies into the public domain.

TWATS.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This D.Higgins person is quite entitled to their opinion, and the Argus is quite right to print it in order to stimulate debate. All I was suggesting is that we use this opportunity to write to the Argus explaining exactly why D.Higgins opinion is wrong.

Let us not have an Argus bashing session, as it isn't warranted.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Perhaps we should swamp them with our own letters. There haven't been any pro-Falmer ones for ages. The inquiry people must think we don't care.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
dougdeep said:
Perhaps we should swamp them with our own letters. There haven't been any pro-Falmer ones for ages. The inquiry people must think we don't care.

great idea !

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
If you didn't know much about the enquiry and you saw a headline in the Argus about "free" land for a stadium, you'd think it was a great idea.

I imagine they'll be a few people at Withdean tonight who'll be under the impression that the owners of Toads Hole Valley have ridden to our rescue.

The Argus reporter left the enquiry before the cross-examination of the witness had finished, therefore missing out the true cost of the site. That's just plain lazy and leads to a story that was completely mis-leading.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Curious Orange said:
This D.Higgins person is quite entitled to their opinion, and the Argus is quite right to print it in order to stimulate debate. All I was suggesting is that we use this opportunity to write to the Argus explaining exactly why D.Higgins opinion is wrong.

Stimulating debate is one thing, but if the story is going to be hyped, it ought to hyped it with the facts. The Argus got the story wrong, and they haven't printed a retraction or correction. It was an extremely lazy piece of journalism. As Lord Bracknell stated, the Argus hack left before the discussion at the Inquiry finished. He may have had a deadline to meet, but he could have submitted the story the following day when the whole picture would have emerged.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
dougdeep said:

Could it be that the ArseGas has taken a new direction with new people in charge? Maybe they are now bordering on being anti Falmer but haven't got the balls to say so-I mentioned some time ago that they've taken off the banner along the bottom of the back page that supported the Falmer campaign. That was quite significant for me-why remove it at the most crucial phase of the campaign? Just a thought!

An organised campaign would be good-maybe we should keep track of who writes in verses who gets their letter published? As it stands, I've never believed the ArseGas was 100% behind us getting Falmer-it (in my mind) has only ever been a ploy to keep Albion fans buying their shit paper-an appropriate term if ever I saw one!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Curious Orange said:

Sorry, have to disagree with that. Higgins letter states:

"the best site of all is at Toad's Hole and the last obstacle has now been overcome with a free offer of the land."

Thats not opinion - that is just plain wrong, wrong, WRONG. Opinion is one thing, but opinion presented as FACT is quite another (and we see plenty of that on here). Thanks to the Argus's lazy journalism, people like Higgins are now under the impression that we've got a swathe of free land for us to build a stadium on, and no obstacles stopping us from doing so. How much further from the truth can you get ? ?

The Argus would be better served putting right their totally inaccurate headline reporting in the first place, rather than perpetuating a complete inaccuracy in their letters page.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Toad's Hole is inferior to Falmer because of the lack of transport provisions, cost of policing, rather than the costs as neutrals and opponents will not care how much it costs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Neutrals and opponents might not "care" how much it costs, but it IS relevent for the Inquiry, as those singing the praises of THV have to demonstrate that its financially viable...which it ain't.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Easy 10 said:
those singing the praises of THV have to demonstrate that its financially viable...which it ain't.

But it's free :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here