Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To those that want Mickey out...

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So why are we playing so shit then ?

because the players are better, but not playing where they are best at, i.e.

Virgo - upfront, right midfield, centre midfield, left midfield, right back
Livermore - left midfield, left back
El Abd - centre midfield, right back
Anyinsah - upfront
Richards - centre midfield

Then there are the players that kept being picked when clearly injured - Hawkins, Forster, McLeod, Murray, Virgo

I think the the biggest problem is picking to similar players next to each other, instead of picking players that compliment each other.

It all ends in shoehorning players in where they shouldnt be, and it badly effecting the team when they play.

Also the continual use of tactics that DO NOT work, never worked, and never will

All basic mistakes that can be rectified, and we will soon be back on track. How quickly Micky spots it and does something about it is the key

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So why are we playing so shit then ?

The clue was in the previous line - perhaps your attention span doesn't stretch that far?

Because there have been a lot of changes to the team, and as yet there is not a settled line-up that has gelled. Micky's made nothing of all the injuries, but how often has there been a full squad to choose from?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
because the players are better, but not playing where they are best at, i.e.

Virgo - upfront, right midfield, centre midfield, left midfield, right back
Livermore - left midfield, left back
El Abd - centre midfield, right back
Anyinsah - upfront
Richards - centre midfield

There's probably some truth in that, but then the majority of the switches have been to cover for players who are injured or unavailable.

Okay, so you could say we have a sizeable squad ... but that's not much use if a lot of the players the manager has inherited are not good enough.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
He was given time to build a team last time around, the fans weren't calling for him to go then, were they? QUOTE]

Yes, they were. Remember '99 / '00?

If truth be told on this issue, many people are on his back because, rightly or wrongly, they cannot get over what they see as the unfairness or inadvisibility of sacking Wikins. Personally I think these people are wrong and that Adams is the better manager. If given time, he will show this. That said, the removal of Wilkins and the return of Adams has been the single most divisive issue on the playing side of the club since Chris Cattlin's sacking in the 80s. This one is just going to run and run....:nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The clue was in the previous line - perhaps your attention span doesn't stretch that far?

Because there have been a lot of changes to the team, and as yet there is not a settled line-up that has gelled. Micky's made nothing of all the injuries, but how often has there been a full squad to choose from?

Piss poor argument.
We've a MASSIVE squad, and we've never had more than 2 or 3 key players injured at any time.

Do you not think other club's players ever get injured?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
There's probably some truth in that, but then the majority of the switches have been to cover for players who are injured or unavailable.

Okay, so you could say we have a sizeable squad ... but that's not much use if a lot of the players the manager has inherited are not good enough.

I think the biggest problem is picking players so similar next to each other in the 3 key areas.

Elphick, Elphick, Virgo and Hawkins are both quite slow, no nonsense, body on the line defenders who dont have great deals of footballing brains, so they go for safety first.
They need someone with a bit of pace next to them, someone who can pick a pass and has a bit more of a footballing brain to complement their style. Maybe Lynch and Hinslewood are the answer. So when 2 of them are paired together we get a whole load of needless hoofing

Thomson, Livermore, El Abd, Virgo, Fraser are all combative midfielders, who win the ball, and play it simple, they sit deep infront of the defence, and try and break up the opposition attack.
They need someone next to them who can pick out passes, burst forward, make runs past players and shoot on goal. Obvious candidate is Johnson, we also have Thornton and Loft who can do that job (obviously Loft not quite as well)
As we seem to use 2 defensive midfielders together a lot, we leave massive gaps for the opposition to run at us, and put us under pressure. And with 2 slow defensive midfielders infront of 2 slow centre backs, we get pulled all over the show and conceed goals for fun

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Piss poor argument.
We've a MASSIVE squad, and we've never had more than 2 or 3 key players injured at any time.

Do you not think other club's players ever get injured?

As I said, there's no point having a massive squad if the players that a manager inherited are not good enough.

Mendoza's banging on about players being played out of position... like Anyinsah and Virgo up front, for instance. But that's been because Murray and Forster have both had spells on the sidelines... so what's the alternative?

Let me guess? Jake.... anyone who really offers that option has immediately undermined their own argument. If he's a League One striker, then Mark Farrington would have got a game for Liverpool.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I suppose shit performances under Wilkins are acceptable but not for any other manager?

Last season we were shit for a lot of the time-we picked up points when we had no right to. I can't remember the number of times I left Withdean wondering how such a shit performance didn't see us on the end of a deserved battering- but it was a considerable number. It seemed to be a regular feature of last season hearing large numbers of fans yelling "Wilkins, do something" or "Sort it out Wilkins". Not just one or two games either. I sit in Block E close to the dugouts and witnessed many heated exchanges between supporters-bought about by the standard of play so I'd say that all was not as rosy last season as you'd like us to believe.

You're not very bright really are you?

Glad to hear you are enjoying this year's utterly utterly utterly absymal hideously awful shit football which puts in 15th more than last year's shit football which left us in 7th place. Out of interest, which particular "batterings" last year did you think we were lucky to escape with a win from?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
As I said, there's no point having a massive squad if the players that a manager inherited are not good enough.

Mendoza's banging on about players being played out of position... like Anyinsah and Virgo up front, for instance. But that's been because Murray and Forster have both had spells on the sidelines... so what's the alternative?

Let me guess? Jake.... anyone who really offers that option has immediately undermined their own argument. If he's a League One striker, then Mark Farrington would have got a game for Liverpool.

Jake is not the answer to anything, yes there have been a lot of times where we were FORCED to play people out of position, but loads of times when he has just done it, for no explainable reason.

Millwall, we started with Virgo upfront despite having Murray and Fleetwood on the bench.

We have had Livermore on the bench most of the season, yet Adams has persisted with El Abd, Virgo, Richards, Thornton, Johnson, Fraser, Anyinsah, Cox, you, me or anyone he could find to play there instead of him

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Glad to hear you are enjoying this year's utterly utterly utterly absymal hideously awful shit football which puts in 15th

Nicely put :clap:
It's simply called ugly football.Gone are the days we are playing on the deck.It's either hoof ball or very direct.Now if we play direct football at least get it right.This is Adams style which worries me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They were good enough to 'FLUKE' a league position 8 places higher than we currently reside in. That is the point.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Glad to hear you are enjoying this year's utterly utterly utterly absymal hideously awful shit football which puts in 15th

Nicely put :clap:
It's simply called ugly football.Gone are the days we are playing on the deck.It's either hoof ball or very direct.Now if we play direct football at least get it right.This is Adams style which worries me.

What amazes me is that people are arguing "Well, we may have finished 7th last season but we were absolutely shit all season" as if we are somehow desperately unlucky to be in 15th and have been playing fantastically week in week out but just somehow been losing games we have totally dominated.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
For me Adams inherited the core of a very good squad.

Kuipers, Sullivan

Whing, El-Abd, Lynch, Elphick, Pearson

Fraser, Cox, Thomson, Loft, Chamberlain

Murray, Forster, Robinson, Gatting, Dixon

Maybe a couple I've forgotten, and there is some dead wood there, but overall it is decent and Wilkins obviously had plans of what he was going to do build on the promising base. Adams added six players of his own in the summer. He inherited a bad squad? Doesn't wash.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

He inherited a bad squad? Doesn't wash.

Exactly, last time out we had players like Omerod, MIcky Bennett, Hobson, Minton, Mayo, Keith McPherson, Storer, Rod Thomas, Peter Smith, Moralee, Darragh Ryan, Paul Sturgess, the only two players at the time I though were much good were Richie Barker and Gary Hart

And the twelve players that the current manager has brought in?
Mendoza's banging on about players being played out of position... like Anyinsah and Virgo up front, for instance. But that's been because Murray and Forster have both had spells on the sidelines... so what's the alternative?.
See above - 12 is enough for a whole team! Murray and Forster were our only effective strikers when Micky Adams was appointed in May so if lack of cover is a problem then there's been ample time to address that don't you think?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Kuipers, Sullivan

Whing, El-Abd, Lynch, Elphick, Pearson

Fraser, Cox, Thomson, Loft, Chamberlain

Murray, Forster, Robinson, Gatting, Dixon

Maybe a couple I've forgotten, and there is some dead wood there, but overall it is decent and Wilkins obviously had plans of what he was going to do build on the promising base. Adams added six players of his own in the summer. He inherited a bad squad? Doesn't wash.

Indeed, but don't let the facts get in the way of the apologists' 'need to rebuild' argument..

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think the biggest problem is picking players so similar next to each other in the 3 key areas.

Elphick, Elphick, Virgo and Hawkins are both quite slow, no nonsense, body on the line defenders who dont have great deals of footballing brains, so they go for safety first.
They need someone with a bit of pace next to them, someone who can pick a pass and has a bit more of a footballing brain to complement their style. Maybe Lynch and Hinslewood are the answer. So when 2 of them are paired together we get a whole load of needless hoofing

Thomson, Livermore, El Abd, Virgo, Fraser are all combative midfielders, who win the ball, and play it simple, they sit deep infront of the defence, and try and break up the opposition attack.
They need someone next to them who can pick out passes, burst forward, make runs past players and shoot on goal. Obvious candidate is Johnson, we also have Thornton and Loft who can do that job (obviously Loft not quite as well)
As we seem to use 2 defensive midfielders together a lot, we leave massive gaps for the opposition to run at us, and put us under pressure. And with 2 slow defensive midfielders infront of 2 slow centre backs, we get pulled all over the show and conceed goals for fun

Post of the day.:ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here