Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To Those Peple Who Wanted McGhee Sacked...

Before I start my rant I would like to make it quite clear that Wilkins has my full support & backing, but...

To all those people who were appalled by our progress under McGhee and insisted on him being ousted, I hope you are getting a well deserved reality check.

Surprise, surprise, results are no better (possbily worse) under a new manager. Is it due to management? No, it's due to the apparently irrelevant facts of:
1. No ground.
2. No money.
3. Players who had over-achieved in getting to Championship in first place (under McGhee's management ironically).
4. Difficulty in attracting players to an athletics track surrounded by golf spectating stands.

Personally, I think we're exactly where we should be, lower mid-table, and if we can stay there the future looks good with the youngsters. I like the way Wilkins talks and am sure he will be an excellent manager, BUT, if I had to put my house on it (not that I own/can afford one (but that's another rant)), I would back McGhee as an experienced manager of some success, to have lead us as least as high.

Rant over.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Let's bring back McGhee then.

:eek:

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
Zebedee said:

i'll have to agree lets bring him back and then by the end of the season we won't have a full team left to pick from lets face it this is mcghee's sqad that we are playing with:nono:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brightonfan_86 said:
NOT ANOTHER MCGHEE THREAD, HE HAS GONE PLEASE JUST GET OVER IT.

Can't we discuss him, even though he has left!?

If you don't want to talk or read about McGhee then disappear into over to another thread!

He was his own worst enemy (perversely). His success lead to his downfall. The fans got a taste of the big games again and he ultimately paid the price in failing to keep us up with one of the, if not THE smallest budget. I can't see why he was given the boot and Wilkins kept on. Surely they could have worked as a team using both of their strengths!!

We are still finding our natural level with the players and resources available to us.

Just making the point. A number of people where extremly vocal about having him sacked - just voicing my opinion.

As I said, Wilkins has my full backing, but I think some people need to take a reality check before the next manager is pushed out of the door.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
BarrelofFun said:
Can't we discuss him, even though he has left!?

If you don't want to talk or read about McGhee then disappear into over to another thread!

He was his own worst enemy (perversely). His success lead to his downfall. The fans got a taste of the big games again and he ultimately paid the price in failing to keep us up with one of the, if not THE smallest budget. I can't see why he was given the boot and Wilkins kept on. Surely they could have worked as a team using both of their strengths!!

We are still finding our natural level with the players and resources available to us.

We have this debate about him every f***ing time we lose with Wilkins in charge, I for one is getting sick of it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brightonfan_86 said:
We have this debate about him every f***ing time we lose with Wilkins in charge, I for one is getting sick of it.
Well. I got very sick of the McGhee character assasination after every single game last season and the start of this, plus those who chose to have signatures telling the man to quit/f*** off...etc.

Some people had very little respect for him.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wanted a new man with experience and contacts who could 'freshen' up the club.

Oh well

brightonfan_86 said:

Definitely not. This is the first time I have made the point and will be the last. However was it not true that this debate was also had (in much more detail) when we lost under McGhee?

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
mr cgull said:
... ... Difficulty in attracting players to an athletics track surrounded by golf spectating stands.

Personally, I think we're exactly where we should be, lower mid-table, and if we can stay there the future looks good with the youngsters. I like the way Wilkins talks and am sure he will be an excellent manager, BUT, if I had to put my house on it (not that I own/can afford one (but that's another rant)), I would back McGhee as an experienced manager of some success, to have lead us as least as high.

Rant over.

You forgot to mention his victimisation of players and insistance of getting anybody who could actually play out of the club for peanuts (Virgo excepted). The probable truth is no player would come to us because they know what he is like!

What chance does Wilkins have with just a bunch of kids and crocks? :nono:

mr cgull said:
I would back McGhee as an experienced manager of some success, to have lead us as least as high.

Higher. But no manager can defy gravity, make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just name your cliche, but we wouldn't have got promoted even if McGhee had stayed.

What we just face now is a worrying period where we watch to see if Wilkins can lift the players after a run of setbacks. We knew McGhee could do that because he did it so often in a higher league. I think Wilkins can do it too but it may take a bit longer. As ever, patience is needed. It is good we have Blackpool next because they are also a team that have struggled to gel this season, so hopefully we can get our confidence back in front of the Sky cameras.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
Re: Re: To Those Peple Who Wanted McGhee Sacked...

London Irish said:
Higher. But no manager can defy gravity, make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just name your cliche, but we wouldn't have got promoted even if McGhee had stayed.

What we just face now is a worrying period where we watch to see if Wilkins can lift the players after a run of setbacks. We knew McGhee could do that because he did it so often in a higher league. I think Wilkins can do it too but it may take a bit longer. As ever, patience is needed. It is good we have Blackpool next because they are also a team that have struggled to gel this season, so hopefully we can get our confidence back in front of the Sky cameras.

i'll have to agree with you for once I AM fully behind wilkins to turn it round i think things will get better and i truely believe after xmas we will be playing much better football and be the true brighton team thats hard to beat hopefully a few loan signings in the right places will kick of a new era for our beloved football club:bowdown:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Facts:

1. He fell out with CKR who is now starting games in the Premiership. We got 150k for him. Sign of a good manager?

2. He fell out with Kuipers who fortunately has settled his differences with the club. Sign of a good manager?

3. He got us relegated last season because he could not settle with one striking partnership and let them settle down and get used to playing together. Sign of a good manager?

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
goldstone said:
Facts:

1. He fell out with CKR who is now starting games in the Premiership. We got 150k for him. Sign of a good manager?

2. He fell out with Kuipers who fortunately has settled his differences with the club. Sign of a good manager?

3. He got us relegated last season because he could not settle with one striking partnership and let them settle down and get used to playing together. Sign of a good manager?

you forgot about that very poor player we had that was not good enough to play for us but good enough to go to another prem team (Watford) Albert Jarret his name was

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
brightonfan_86 said:

Yes almost as tedious as the Magoo out thread every time we lost when he was manager..........

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Zebedee said:

please please,i would be well happy,but the club shit on him and i fear he wouldnt

Well Mr cgull, the early cries of 'told you so' above has been wading through the quagmire of reality checks for you my friend.

The fact that we got rid of a duff manager and have, five minutes later, not done a complete u-turn on the strength of changing-room charisma, is a bit of a foregone.
Mcghee successfully stripped the side down to, what appears to be, a hopeful squad of triers who are now punching above their weight - just like we did with the handicap of MM (tactical genius) on the sideline.
In The Championship last year, we were fielding a 1st Division side, and this season we're fielding a 2nd Division side. No wonder we struggle, it's another foregone.

I would like to see the Deans instill a giantkiller attitude into the side, from the no-pressure pov of not expecting to win even at home. That means they have to put themselves out to take sides on and beat them, not imagine we have an 'even chance', at winning any game.

Although MM was ousted, he has actually left us 'out in the cold' squad-wise. We no longer even have Jarrett, or Alexis, or CKR anxious and hungry on the bench. The players still have everything to play for though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here