Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

to the people behind me telling me to sit down

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Lush said:
We were up and down like a whore's drawers in M5.

The only pain was having to help the kids on and off the seats they were standing on.

:clap:

That would have been us standing up in front of you then as I think I saw you towards the back of the section whereas we were in Row 6.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
Strikes me from most of the comments on here that the best distribution of tickets would have been to give regulars one side and irregulars the other. If you wanted to go in a mixed group you choose which side you want and don't moan about the consuquences.

RoyalAli said:
Whatever next, no Singing?

You lot seem to have mastered it. ;)

We were in the very front row but still stood from the first whistle until a few daytrippers started kicking off.

Was also concious of the fact there were kids directly behind us (regarding the standing, not the swearing) but still stood up as soon as anything half decent happened. You can't help it.

Again, the stewards were spot on. We asked the one nearest to us before the game if we'd get nicked for jumping over the little wall if we scored. He simply smiled and nodded, 'nough said.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can see what Lord B is getting at.

This is what Falmer is going to be like when we get it. I know to a certain extent we will be able to choose a certain area behind the goal where the regulars will go but there will be a lot of people who will want to go and sit down.

Are we going to lose these extra supporters by swearing at them?
We need additional supporters regardless of whether they sit down, drink out of a flask or eat a picnic.

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Inkerman said:
Strikes me from most of the comments on here that the best distribution of tickets would have been to give regulars one side and irregulars the other. If you wanted to go in a mixed group you choose which side you want and don't moan about the consuquences.
Doesn't this take us back to that arguement about season ticket holders being given first choice of tickets rather than the free for all which took place? They distributed tickets in order from the half way line around the stadium. This would have meant that most season ticket holders would have all been together down one side of the stadium. This would have created a regulars section straight away. I know that not all season ticket holders stand at Withdean but it would have gone a long way towards solving the problems encountered by a lot of people on this thread.
Don't really like to bring up the season ticket holders first arguement again after what was such a great day, but I feel that it's a valid point. Probably get told I'm talking a load of bollocks though!!!!
:glare:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
i got told off by 2 stewards for fininshing putting up banners (as someone had started to but was too scared to finish:angel: ).
he told me to take it down, my response was why?, oh and look at the banner over there, the one over there, the 10 up there, the 6 down to your left, the 8 to your right and the big one being put up to my left. he just left me alone from there on in.

also the poeple infront of me that gave me evil stares when i started jumping up and down going beserk, singing when sussex by the sea came on for the first time - FFS that is our club anthem you fools!!!

that was probably the highlight of the whole day

albionman

May 22, 2004
Sayers Common
Got told to sit down 30 minutes before kick off because "I haven't seen anything yet".

Told him to use his legs as God intended. Stand on the feckers ! This is football not the Theatre Royal.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
sounds like i missed all this fun in m35 stood up the whole game with no complaints

Oct 25, 2003
i was sitting directly infront of an 8ish year old boy, i didn't want to completely spoil his day by constantly standing up, unfortunately i couldn't help myself, stodd up pretty much the whole game:bounce:

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
sawardseagulls said:
if that was a reply to us Inkerman, we were fine, no problem, just an observation!! Cracking view!!

It certainly wasn't a reply to you - just a general observation, I wasn't intending to tell anyone in particular to not moan - just saying that if people had had a choice of which area to go into then they wouldn't have been able to moan (not sure if this is any clearer even now).
I understand your point about about some people being less mobile than others - Mrs Inkerman was in the same position earlier in the season following a knee op.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
we were in U6 , great seats, great stand, great people all around, miles away from the bristol, we had happy 50 year olds, 9 year olds , girls, tourists, season ticket holders, wheelchairs, didnt see any babies but everyone seemed to be loving it!!

or was i looking the wrong way

magic day

no complaints here

i used to complain much more in the northstand when i couldnt see a thing- if falmer is as third as good will take it! thanks john.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was in U11 with Krispies, and we did ask the supporters behind us if we could stand, to which they repilied "We would be disapointed if you did'nt."

The only time I saw a steward in action was in the second half, due to Krispies running up and down the isle getting people to sing. Believe me it was funny, and I could see it happening a long way off, and tried to catch his attention.

Love him to bits. Bloody nutter!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
s.stubbs said:
Some tit behind me (N2) said to his wife"I didn't think it would be this loud,I'm getting one of my heads,shall we go?":ohmy:
Laugh , I nearly paid My council tax.

And he'd probably already checked his ticket for that vital piece of information: "If wet, in the vicarage"...

Lord Bracknell said:
As a regular "stander" at away matches, I stick with my estimate of a "few hundred" who stand throughout a game. Usually in stadiums where there is enough empty space for us to work the"go where you want system" that wasn't available in the Millennium Stadium.

On Sunday, I was able to deal with the "Sit down" request that came from behind me with a simple explanation that the people in the eight rows in front of me were also standing.

Two minutes after kick-off, those eight rows were all sitting. Throughout the game, there were intermittent episodes of standing - all with no grief.

I just think it is incredibly unwelcoming to non-regular Albion supporters in a situation like Sunday to deal with a reasonable request to sit down by immediately asserting that standing is a right that "real" supporters will exercise regardless.

Let's hope these new supporters (or returning supporters) DO come back. We need their money.

Wise words. Can't see why this has to be such a huge issue - it's obvious in a big and mixed crowd with kids everywhere that people would have to apply some commonsense - popping up and down during the exciting bits was surely the obvious compromise and worked well in our block and there was no aggro of any kind among the Albion family.

The unspoken tragedy about Sunday is that we have at least 20,000 Albion fans who went to another country to watch their team who will probably not have another chance to watch us for years.

It's a damn shame. If people don't go regularly, the psychology of it is that they do get out of the habit and won't pop down to check if there are unsold tickets in the shop, and they get involved in other stuff that takes up their leisure time.

The club have an interesting challenge now. Hopefully we didn't all write Mickey Mouse, c/o Disneyland on those application forms we handed in for the people we bought tickets for - so the club now have a huge list of names and addresses on their database. If they could just THINK of something to send them that would remind them in some way that they are not forgotten about, that would be an EXCELLENT thing, something to tell them about our future that is a bit more optimistic than 'f*** off and don't sit down when you next come'.

Hove Old Fart

Jun 2, 2004
Hove
Standing is often selfish and inconsiderate. One person stands, two or three behind him have to stand to see, then five or six behind them. and so on. I was in the second row of the top tier with two standers immediately in front of me in the front row. They had a perfect uninterrupted view of the whole stadium so why did they need to stand at any time? Their view was no better from a standing poition and it meant that supporters behind them were unable to see the action.

I am not a "casual" - I have had a season ticket for fifteen years. I was not happy at spending more than £40 for a Cardiff ticket and then finding I could see only part of the game. So much of this thread seems to say that real supporters have to stand?

I hope these people get their standing section at Falmer. I shall be first in the queue for a sitting section.

Hove Old Fart said:
Standing is often selfish and inconsiderate. One person stands, two or three behind him have to stand to see, then five or six behind them. and so on. I was in the second row of the top tier with two standers immediately in front of me in the front row. They had a perfect uninterrupted view of the whole stadium so why did they need to stand at any time? Their view was no better from a standing poition and it meant that supporters behind them were unable to see the action.

I am not a "casual" - I have had a season ticket for fifteen years. I was not happy at spending more than £40 for a Cardiff ticket and then finding I could see only part of the game. So much of this thread seems to say that real supporters have to stand?

I hope these people get their standing section at Falmer. I shall be first in the queue for a sitting section.

That's right, you should have a right to sit and watch the game.

I want a right to stand. I love standing, I feel free, I enjoy myself, when I sing its feels natural. When I sit down, I feel contained, restricted. In a cage. The game is never a good.

I had kids behind me on Sunday. I did my best to stay sat but no way. In the past I have asked parents if they wanted to sit in front of me, generally welcomed. But not pratical on Sunday.

LC:flameboun :bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here