Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

to Buzzer and others who hang to the right

How dodgy is Christiana?

I was with Ms LC, who hasn't spent her life in low life pubs like myself. We went there at night and obviosly when it was dark. The area has few streetlights, nor proper roads.

But we felt safe.

In the cafe's literally everyone was stoned, which did feel strange and a bit heavy.
I think it has definately lost its radical anarchist past, more people making cash on its old reputation.

We were told loads of times, the Police will not tolerate any drugs outside of Christiana, but whilst you're there its OK.

No red light there, no open dealers, an extreme version of the Amsterdam brown houses?

As long as the beer is of good quality why not?

We bought some Carlsberg brown beer about £4 in the centre, fantastic beer, I rather pay £4 for that than 3 quid for shit beer.

In the supermarkets in Denmark beer as cheap as the UK, you can buy proper Elephant beer for about 80p a bottle. What more would you want?

Gwlylan the nordics offer you quality, its quality hotels, service, food, beer, in Stockhlm we paid west london prices but the catering and service was on another plane. You get great coffee for £2.20 and then its free, you can have as much as you want.

You get the best hospitals, best pension, best cradle to grave service in the world all for £1 more on your beer in a pub.

So the locals instead get stoned on cheaper beer from supermarkets.

Anyhow I look for a nation where the rivers run really blue.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I was with Ms LC, who hasn't spent her life in low life pubs like myself. We went there at night and obviosly when it was dark. The area has few streetlights, nor proper roads.

But we felt safe.

In the cafe's literally everyone was stoned, which did feel strange and a bit heavy.
I think it has definately lost its radical anarchist past, more people making cash on its old reputation.

We were told loads of times, the Police will not tolerate any drugs outside of Christiana, but whilst you're there its OK.

No red light there, no open dealers, an extreme version of the Amsterdam brown houses?

Do they sell mushrooms in there ;)

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
We bought some Carlsberg brown beer about £4 in the centre, fantastic beer, I rather pay £4 for that than 3 quid for shit beer.

In the supermarkets in Denmark beer as cheap as the UK, you can buy proper Elephant beer for about 80p a bottle. What more would you want?

Never found the beer that expensive in the supermarkets. Even found a carlsberg trappist beer weird

Do they sell mushrooms in there ;)

I believe they do, in fact I recall mushroom cakes, burgers :angel:

I must admit I was expecting a more radical housing/ community/social/ political feel, aka Amsterdam late 70's or 80's or that area in WEst Berlin, trapped by 3 sides of the wall.

It came over more as a place to just chill out on dope.

Last edited:

Is the beauty the result of the Spanish political system? Perhaps it is, it was a particularly feudal place (to follow some of this thread) until relatively recently?

No it was never especially feudal, certainly not in the last few hundred years, even the rich people didn't have a lot of money.

It's just been undiscovered by the rest of the world and Spain generally - most Spaniards know little of the place.

And Spanish bureaucracy is pretty much the same all over Spain although here the locals tend to do what they want, certainly not what madrid tells them

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Staggering hypocrisy from the Barclay brothers. I remember The Telegraph in their own editorial campaining for heredatory peers remain in The House of Lords on the basis that it aint broke so don't fix it.
fairly sure that any editor of the telegraph would insist on editorial independence, so wouldnt call their personal views hypocrisy, just different from those of the telegraph editor at the time .

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And the Barclay Brothers have a reputation for being hands off. Certainly not half as bad as Conrad Black or Murdoch and even then Murdoch tends to use his red tops rather than the Times to peddle his propaganda.

Dunno too much about this Sark thing. Isn't Sark where cars are banned?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Stockholm

You get the best hospitals... in the world .

Strictly speaking you'll find the world's best healthcare in Belgium, according to the UN. I'm sure Sweden also far outshines that in the UK though.

You'll also find the best beer there, and a rare example of people who DON'T hate the English.

Mind you, there are plenty of reasons not to want to live in Belgium.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Strictly speaking you'll find the world's best healthcare in Belgium, according to the UN. I'm sure Sweden also far outshines that in the UK though.

You'll also find the best beer there, and a rare example of people who DON'T hate the English.

Mind you, there are plenty of reasons not to want to live in Belgium.

I thought the best health care was in Cuba?

Even though it clearly has some problems, I'm quite a fan of Svaneti. It is fiercely indepepndent - the local political system is based on the family (each family head has equal power in the big meetings which are roughly equivalent to their parliament). Eachfamily has its own church, and when there are disputes between families or individuals, the whole community comes together, makes a decision, and makes the head of each of the warring families swear in their own churches that the decision will be upheld.

It's the only place I've been to in the former Soviet Union with no noticeable Soviet mark. The reason is simple. When the Soviets took the Caucasus area in the early 1920s, they came up to Svaneti, met the family heads, said we own the land now - the families said, leave us alone and we won't object. So the Soviets did.

When Georgia became independent on the collapse of the Soviet Union, their territory included Svaneti. They built the region's very first police station in the capital, Mestia. The next day the locals gathered outside it and burnt it down. It has never been rebuilt, and the community still runs things.

But two key posts are NOT elected - how is that fully democracy ?
I never said it was "full democracy". You (and the Barclay twins) are the ones who want this thing you call "full democracy". But at least you've now defined it - it's a system where there are NO key positions that are unelected.

The only two posts that are problematic for you are those held by the Seigneur and the Seneschal. The Seigneur is the representative of the Queen. The Seneschal is appointed by the Seigneur.

I'd be pretty happy with a system in the UK where there were only TWO individuals with power that derived from the Crown. We have to put up with THOUSANDS of such people.

Sark only managed to get rid of feudalism on Wednesday. We think we achieved something similar centuries ago. I'm prepared to give the Sarkees a bit of slack. One step at a time. Sure, it would be nice if they could overthrow the last vestiges of the monarchy in time for Christmas. But let's be patient.

I thought the best health care was in Cuba?

best health care on a budget, I have been a benefactor of that great system,

to a post above, it is a good system, a free good health system, i be back as they say, my son needs me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Or maybe I'm misreading the situation in Sark? Perhaps this new "full democracy" is a system that allows people to vote for who they want and the consequence is that the richest people in the land get the message and feck off.

And take their jobs and money with them

the words turkey and Christmas come to mind

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here