Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

to Buzzer and others who hang to the right

Strange Labour abolished heriditory peers but when two business men support the abolition of a similar system in Sark they're in the wrong :shrug:

While I don't support their action of pulling out, it is their right. Of course, if Sark had bothered to go fully democratic then maybe they'd have stayed. If I didn't agree with a system of government I could fight it or move somewhere else - much like the options the Barclay brothers have.
I'm still stuck on this concept of "full democracy". You seem to think that an election that has one in eight of the population standing as candidates, where almost ninety per cent of the electorate vote, and where the people who get the most votes get elected somehow falls short of what is required.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
LC , you may be surprised,but for me it would be canada, it seems to work pretty well , everybody gets along and there seems to be quite a lot of social justice, i.e good healthcare etc.

I've just fainted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
LC , you may be surprised,but for me it would be canada, it seems to work pretty well , everybody gets along and there seems to be quite a lot of social justice, i.e good healthcare etc.

Mind you the gerimandering of Toronto was a bit of a poor show.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tubthumper Turme is my idea of utopia. The drawbridge is currently up and inside everyone is happy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm still stuck on this concept of "full democracy". You seem to think that an election that has one in eight of the population standing as candidates, where almost ninety per cent of the electorate vote, and where the people who get the most votes get elected somehow falls short of what is required.

But two key posts are NOT elected - how is that fully democracy ?

Denmark appears to have a stong sense of National Identity without being xenophobic. I have mainly visited Jutland. It reminds me of old England in a way.

It always amuses me how they leave loads of goods outside their shops. A shopliffters paradise in England. I am visiting Copenhagen for the first time in June to see Depeche Mode

Great city, as you be aware quality of life good, if you want any tips let me know.

Extremadura will do me nicely thank you. No crime, very family orientated, decent weather, great quality of life, nobody in a rush, roads pretty empty and motorways toll-free, historic towns, pretty villages, beautiful countryside, lots of birds and wildlife, cheap property prices.

What's not to like?

But you do have to put up with Spanish bureaucracy though!

Is the beauty the result of the Spanish political system? Perhaps it is, it was a particularly feudal place (to follow some of this thread) until relatively recently?

Are there any differences between French and English Canada?

I visiting Canada a couple of times in my teens, my Dad's family all emigrated there, I was even offered a job there!!

Despite its gigantic size, Toronto felt villagey, the English accent seem to be welcoming:lolol::ohmy:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I visiting Canada a couple of times in my teans, my Dad's family all emigrated there, I was even offered a job there!!

Despite its gigantic size, Toronto felt villagey, the English accent seem to be welcoming:lolol::ohmy:

I went to Toronto with work for a couple of weeks a few years back. Had a lot of spare time and I loved it. Some great neighbourhoods, friendly and interesting people and basically just a fun place.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I visiting Canada a couple of times in my teans, my Dad's family all emigrated there, I was even offered a job there!!

got to admit to never having been there! but as i've been told on other threads , that shouldn't stop me having an opinion. there are quite a few differences between quebec and the rest of canada , one of the main ones being that in the rest of canada both languages are afforded equal status ,whereas in quebec french is the only official language, when this policy was first implemented a hell of a lot of english speakers moved out of quebec to other provinces , however recently the french speaking attitude has softened to english speakers so i'm told.

Need a good Hotel within easy reach of the sites and not too far from the Parken. I hear taxis are expensive.

we stayed with in apartment shared with an owner, but she went away for the weekend, like most Danes into her hut in the countryside, leaving us with the whole place.

Hotel tres expensive, we couldn't afford it.

Copenhagen isn't that big - we stayed at frederiksberg have, further out than Parken, but we walked in every day.

Transport excellent fast and relatively cheap. everything goes thru the main central station.

In the 80's whilst interrailing I slept under one of Parken stands, it served as a Youth Hostel!

Easily walkable into town.

got to admit to never having been there! but as i've been told on other threads , that shouldn't stop me having an opinion. there are quite a few differences between quebec and the rest of canada , one of the main ones being that in the rest of canada both languages are afforded equal status ,whereas in quebec french is the only official language, when this policy was first implemented a hell of a lot of english speakers moved out of quebec to other provinces , however recently the french speaking attitude has softened to english speakers so i'm told.

I know friends rate Vancouver, one was seriously thinking of buying an island there.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
we stayed with in apartment shared with an owner, but she went away for the weekend, like most Danes into her hut in the countryside, leaving us with the whole place.

Hotel tres expensive, we couldn't afford it.

Copenhagen isn't that big - we stayed at frederiksberg have, further out than Parken, but we walked in every day.

Transport excellent fast and relatively cheap. everything goes thru the main central station.

In the 80's whilst interrailing I slept under one of Parken stands, it served as a Youth Hostel!

Easily walkable into town.

Those Danish huts are not bad. Stayed in quite a few .Many have their own indoor pool and sauna. Think I will splash the cash on a hotel. Thanks for the info

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Staggering hypocrisy from the Barclay brothers. I remember The Telegraph in their own editorial campaining for heredatory peers remain in The House of Lords on the basis that it aint broke so don't fix it.

However any move towards more democracy is to be applauded IMO. You may be cycnical of their motives but I can't see how it's that wrong what they were campaigning for.

Oh, Sweden or Denmark for me too. It wouldn't work here for a long time though - we have a culture of underclass and handouts for nothing, and a lack of personal responsibility across all sectors of society.

Those Danish huts are not bad. Stayed in quite a few .Many have their own indoor pool and sauna. Think I will splash the cash on a hotel. Thanks for the info

the area between the city centre and Christiana was a great area to really chill out in, we stayed in Feb and it never got above freezing, the bars, cafe's all seem to have waterfronts and the hotels were chic!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Would all the people opting for Nordic countries be willing to pay £5 for their pints?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here