Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid Potter Bashing - the staying up tracker - season 2019-2020 Game 38 UPDATE

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've been through and edited out the 4-pointer results so, assuming home wins in all of the Bottom 6 clashes:

Norwich 30

Villa 31

PLB 30

Wham! 40

Watford 34

The Albion 38

Assuming draws:

Norwich 27

Villa 32

PLB 30

Wham! 37

Watford 33

The Albion 39

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can't believe that there are posters on this thread that don't understand how the tracker works...

It's been essential reading for a long time now.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Comforting to see that Villa's only win between now and the end of the season is against Palace.
I like your Super Duper Computer.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To Avoid Potter Bashing - the staying up tracker - season 2019-2020 Game 32 UPDATE

Can't believe that there are posters on this thread that don't understand how the tracker works...

I understand it just fine, I just question it’s merit.

You’re extrapolating results on lots of pre suppositions. Ie, we were expecting 0 points vs the big teams at home. Yet the Arsenal result, and Man U win (last season belies that).

What’s the harm? No harm, it’s a bit of fun I agree.

But this place was in meltdown last season and people took this tracker as gospel (oh no we didn’t win our last winnable game, there we’re down).

So i just hope people keep this in perspective.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I understand completely how the tracker works, and find it helpful for the first half/two-thirds of the season; its usefulness subsides thereafter because, since we've been in the PL, survival is around 35 points, not 40.
What I hadn't picked up on is that the OP was using the same principle and applying it to all teams in the bottom six.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Correct me if I am wrong but the point Villa gained at Newcastle seems to have lifted them to 28 points on the tracker when in reality it is 27.

I am confused ? :(

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Here you go.

Thanks!

OK, so here's my stab at the final 7 rounds (well, 6 now):

6-to-go.png

How this'll work:

1: As the results come in, I change the team names on the left side to reflect the result.
2. Once all of the bottom 6 have played, I update the remaining available points.
3. The "Max" row on the right will auto update once I've done that. The orange (oops, I chose orange...) highlight will change to green as soon as any team is unable to catch our current points even with max points.
4. The "Current" points row also updates automatically as I enter the results on the left.
5. Each round I've entered predicted results. The template for this is the same theory as Giraffe, except any games where it's bottom 6 vs bottom 6 I've used the form guide from the last 6 matches played to amend the result so there's no extra points being allocated.
6. I'll update the form-based predictions as we go, in case any of the teams have a change in fortunes.
7. That gives us a final "Predict" row at the bottom that shows where my method thinks each team will end up.
8. I might yet decide to use the form guide to predict all the matches instead of the tracker method - eg Newcastle don't look like easy wins right now.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
8. I might yet decide to use the form guide to predict all the matches instead of the tracker method - eg Newcastle don't look like easy wins right now.

I've done this, using the following theory:

- Cross reference the form table position for each remaining game.
- If the teams are less than 5 places apart, give a draw.
- If the teams are 5 or more places apart, give a win to the higher team.

Villa and Bournemouth situation looks dire - no points at all for the rest of the season. I'm too lazy to update the chart image until after the next round is complete :p, but the summary result then becomes:

West Ham - 37
Brighton - 35
Watford - 30
Villa - 27
Bournemouth - 27
Norwich - 23

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Plus 1 indeed. First time we have been over since Feb. Lovely stuff.

Look at that little, but almost sexual, rise above the graph. A thing of beauty.

Attachments

• NSC Graph 33.png
    NSC Graph 33.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 760
  • NSC Fixtures 33.png
    NSC Fixtures 33.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 427

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005