Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To all the Southgate haters / wrong again and again and again **SOUTHGATE NOW RESIGNED**

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The right decision by and for Gareth. Southgate goes out on his on terms and with his head held high. Southgate deserves all the plaudits his supporters have sent his way for how he has turned around what was a very moribund England set up. The culture change within the England set up has been immense and Southgate was the right man to oversee it.

As for on the pitch, as much as his detractors will protest (and I am one), two Euro finals and WC semi final cannot be dismissed, again thanks should be due for that.

And here comes the but.....as the modern game has developed and moved on, Gareth has not. His conservative brand of football allied with a squad of very good players is enough to get you a long way down the road, but ultimately not to the end of it. The football is dull, boring and I see more entertainment at the Albion every week. Southgate was still playing Boro and Palaceball when he should have been playing City and Real football and he literally had the players who do it week in week out.

I'm hoping the new manager can make England watchable as well as likeable.

Thanks for all you have done Gareth but I am pleased you have quit whilst you are ahead.

Last edited:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Had to go, had the best squad in the Euros and one of the best squads in the 2 comps before that yet, could never beat a team that was somewhere near decent!! Should have gone after the WC and wasted the Euros. Only manager to relegate his club and his country!
FA loved him because he was nice and dull!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Well, good riddance, but any hope of letting our talented England squad of young players off the leash will swiftly disappear if Potter gets the gig.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I hope something else "newsworthy" happens today.
The BBC seem obsessed with soon to be Sir Gareth Southgate.
Trump 5 minutes, the "Welch" also 5.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Manager needs to pick the up and coming who seem more able to adjust . The established ones are to used to playing with their club team mates and don`t seem able to adjust to England Team. Certainly Kane, Foden and Bellingham played nothing like they do for their clubs.Most of the subs did better than the so called stars.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's to his credit that he's read the room and made the decision himself here before the FA were involved either in contract renegotiation or otherwise.

However, I'm unashamedly delighted that he's gone and that England can move on with a tactician in place.

I'll now happily rejoin the England Supporters Travel Club ready for WC2026.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, good riddance, but any hope of letting our talented England squad of young players off the leash will swiftly disappear if Potter gets the gig.
No, not good riddance.

Gareth Southgate is a good man who has faced a lot of bile from immature neanderthals who should know better.

The players liked him and he was an excellent ambassador on the international stage. Tactical shortcomings are not a crime.

He has served the nations team with commitment and an impeccable attitude. It is time to move on. But those who have been spouting the bile would also do well to move on and learn some kind of civility.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just to say, and it shouldn't need it but it seems all of us who have criticised Southgate are increasingly being lumped together so it has to be done, I wish Southgate well and he's undoubtedly a top man. I just think England to reach the next level need someone with a bit more tactical nous.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No, not good riddance.

Gareth Southgate is a good man who has faced a lot of bile from immature neanderthals who should know better.

The players liked him and he was an excellent ambassador on the international stage. Tactical shortcomings are not a crime.

He has served the nations team with commitment and an impeccable attitude. It is time to move on. But those who have been spouting the bile would also do well to move on and learn some kind of civility.
Unfortunately for Southgate it was all about his tactical abilities or the lack of them.
Good riddance no but glad that he has gone because he was not the person to lead us to the next WC. TBH he wasn’t the person to take us to the Euro’s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, not good riddance.

Agree with all this. There are many positive aspects/outcomes from his tenure and he doesn't deserve the hate. He's run his time though, and personally wouldn't judge his record at significantly above par given the players at his disposal but he's done a decent job and leaves us in much better shape than when he took over. Feels a bit like the end of the Hughton era for us - thanks and best wishes but we all need a change.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agree with all this. There are many positive aspects outcomes from his tenure and he doesn't deserve the hate. He's run his time though, and personally wouldn't judge his record at significantly above par given the players at his disposal but he's done a decent job and leaves us in much better shape than when he took over. Feels a bit like the end of the Hughton era for us - thanks and best wishes but we all need a change.
That was my exact thought on Sunday.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Well that's a take!

Personally I think Guardiola is the best thing that's happened to football and the greatest coach/manager of all time.
Agree Man Utd prove buying best players doesnt make a team. Every game I have seen City play win or lose they go for win everytime and have 10 players wanting to attack. Remember when City were letting in a few goals and Guardiola was asked if I he had orted his defence out. He replied they do very little work on defence because if you keep the ball you dont have to defend.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, not good riddance.

Sorry Mrs Southgate ☹️

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This also confirms something I have thought for a long time, Pep Guardiola is ruining football.

Where once the game was about flair, individual brilliance and creating moments, it's now all about intricate patterns, possession at all costs and x-f***ing-G. You only need to look at how Guardiola has taken Jack Grealish, an undoubted flair player who could do things on his own, and turned him into a shadow of his former self who plays a safe pass rather than take on and beat a man. He's ruined a supreme talent. Who knows how many others he's ruined?
I agree, give me Klopp and his anarchy* football anyday.

*more anarchic... This was one the the interesting things about learning about the Malmo coach. Guardiola etc has taken some of the spontinaity out of the game. I want anarchy!!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not a fan, but it has to be said he has done a magnificent job.

He has demonstrated that being the best tactician, is not necessarily the most important factor in reaching the latter stages of a tournament.
However, it is the most important factor in winning finals.
He gave it his best, but it wasn't enough.
It was still pretty good though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This also confirms something I have thought for a long time, Pep Guardiola is ruining football.

Where once the game was about flair, individual brilliance and creating moments, it's now all about intricate patterns, possession at all costs and x-f***ing-G. You only need to look at how Guardiola has taken Jack Grealish, an undoubted flair player who could do things on his own, and turned him into a shadow of his former self who plays a safe pass rather than take on and beat a man. He's ruined a supreme talent. Who knows how many others he's ruined?
I don't agree with this.

I think Grealish went from a team where he was THE only creative source so one with an abundance of creativity, so he's chosen the safety first option. This has clearly vexed Pep, who went out and bought Doku to do the job Grealish was brought in for. Ergo Doku displaces Grealish in the starting line-up.

I don't see anyone saying Pep has ruined Doku.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No, not good riddance.

Tactical shortcomings as a manager are pretty damn important, if not the most important part of the job! As for the players liking him, that's just PR. What do you expect players to say in this media savvy world. Of course players in the team, particularly those like Kane, Trippier, Walker and to a certain extent, Maguire love him because he keeps/kept playing them. If you remember he came in saying he was going to pick players on form and not on reputation. He pretty much ignored that, keeping in the team players that weren't even playing for their clubs. I'm sure the likes of Dunk, Maddison, Grealish, White, Toney and a load of others aren't disappointed. Dunk has been consistently one of the best English centre backs over the last few years but has, until recently, been consistently overlooked by Southgate who picked Mings whose only real credit was how he spoke after the racist chanting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here