Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To all the Southgate haters / wrong again and again and again **SOUTHGATE NOW RESIGNED**

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The right decision.

Second best tournament record and win % ever but this time round we were dire and very lucky.

Still think this is three way between GPotty, Fat Frank and Carsley.

Please not Lampard.
Still think Potter has been waiting for this moment, hence he hasn’t taken anything else.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Farewell Gareth.

I'm mixed on this.

His tournament record is incredible. Way more consistent than any other England manager. I personally think Span were very deserved winners this time round

But the football we were playing has been poor. And yes there are tactics that I just don't get. His loyalty to key players is admirable and I see why they trust him, but it continues to cost him as those key players frequently let him down.

Hope he goes on to manage Palace after the Austrian guy

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We said exactly the same. We’d scored, the noise from the English crowd was much louder, we were pinging it around and looked full of energy…………the momentum had evidently shifted. Within minutes it was gone though, a tale of two teams/tactics. The Spanish wrestled back control pretty quickly because we played right into their hands.
They knew they had to win it in normal time, because they knew we had a stronger bench, and that was Southgates target extra time.
Another weak, uninspiring tactic, wait for the stories to emerge now he has left about how negative he was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They knew they had to win it in normal time, because they knew we had a stronger bench, and that was Southgates target extra time.
Another weak, uninspiring tactic, wait for the stories to emerge now he has left about how negative he was.
Already emerging……..apparently Bellingham had a significant disagreement with him during the game

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I’m torn with this one. He’s done much better than any other England manager for over 50 years, but at the same time he’s not been able to win 2 finals so it feels like he’s taken England as far as he can. We’ve had established names in the past that haven’t worked out and the Spain manager that just won the Euro’s wasn’t a big name either so the grass isn’t always greener.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Farewell Gareth.

I'm mixed on this.

His tournament record is incredible. Way more consistent than any other England manager. I personally think Span were very deserved winners this time round

But the football we were playing has been poor. And yes there are tactics that I just don't get. His loyalty to key players is admirable and I see why they trust him, but it continues to cost him as those key players frequently let him down.

Hope he goes on to manage Palace after the Austrian guy
I am absolutely sure he is a nice fellow but in all honesty he should have gone after the last tournament.
@FIVESTEPS gave him 2 out of ten for tactics but i disagree.......... that was way too generous!

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I’m torn with this one. He’s done much better than any other England manager for over 50 years, but at the same time he’s not been able to win 2 finals so it feels like he’s taken England as far as he can. We’ve had established names in the past that haven’t worked out and the Spain manager that just won the Euro’s wasn’t a big name either so the grass isn’t always greener.
Indeed, like Southgate, he was an internal appointment.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
This is fantastic news. The team has been absolute rubbish under Southgate, miserable to watch and getting progressively worse because the quality of players has increased dramatically throughout his tenure. He doesn't have a tactical brain at all, is purely interested in defending at all times. Totally the wrong manager for the England squad now.

All that said, he's been a fantastic man in the role. He has totally changed the perception around the national team and he speaks brilliantly well. There is no doubt at all about his enthusiasm, his determination and his pride in the England national football team. Unfortunately, he isn't quite up to the job from a football perspective but he's done an excellent job and if you completely ignore the matches themselves, his record is unlikely ever to be beaten.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Lots of praise for Southgate predictably, and he has done a good job. I never felt any joy watching England like I did watching Brighton, especially under RDZ. Probably never will tbh.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Whilst I am strongly against Man City's funding sources and apparent strategy of buying the best players off other PL teams to sit on their bench, it cannot be denied that they play beautiful football.
I profoundly disagree. Man City are a boring team to watch. In recent seasons, Liverpool & Arsenal have been far more entertaining than they have been as a neutral to watch. Maybe I just don't get excited by three million passes to setup a tap-in.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lots of praise for Southgate predictably, and he has done a good job. I never felt any joy watching England like I did watching Brighton, especially under RDZ. Probably never will tbh.
It's interesting contrasting Brighton fans' views of him with other clubs. I'm on a whatsapp group with some mates who are big England fans but not Brighton (two Spurs, one Villa, one Cambridge). I watched the game with the two Spurs lads on Sunday, one of whom regularly watches us at Wembley and was in Russia in 2018. He's absolutely devastated and contrasts the feel good of three of Southgate's tournaments with the shitshows that proceeded it.

A lot of travelling England are also lower league fans who aren't treated to Pep / Klopp / Arteta / Ange / RDZ / GO'N week in, week out but rather Barnsley or Port Vale hoofing it. A lot of praise on social media from those fans.

Lots of "hooray, he was boring" stuff from others though too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here