Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] To all the Southgate haters / wrong again and again and again **SOUTHGATE NOW RESIGNED**

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Venables had one brilliant game demolishing Holland. As someone on another thread reminded me we were shit against the Swiss, shit against Scotland until the Gazza moment and dull against Spain.... it's just for my age group that tournament in England was a joy and that 4-1 moment was one highlight amongst some awful England years. Venables is over rated and then viewed better because he didn't continue after the unlucky penalty loss, it was more what could have been under him.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
A little rant culminating in referring to those that are not as enthusiastic about the national team as you being referred to as “woke”. What a cop out that is.

Why should I support England? I don’t really like many of their players (nor do any of you lot most weekends) I’m not a big fan of their style of play (I find international football dull generally)
I’m not a big fan of their support, I’m not getting pally with some Burnley fan singing about World War 2 or the IRA like he’s some sort of long lost brother just because he’s wearing an England shirt, and what the f*** have they done to Neil Diamond!? The support for them at the moment is akin to Man United, most of the “it’s coming home” mob at work or in the pub have never been to a Wembley home match in their lives (I’ve been to several home and abroad) and when England play Moldova on a wet Wednesday in November these super fans will be watching The Appearance.
Yes I want them to win but I won’t be crying my eyes out if they don’t

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But he had one chance, with a tougher draw, against better teams, including Spain and Holland and did…..

Racist team selections? Who wasn’t selected? Ince was, Sol Campbell, Les Ferdinand? Can’t think of any obvious omissions. 😃
Three out of 22 players? Hmmmm....

1720724856059.png

But you have a point. Perhaps. Here is the 96 Spurs squad. Very white. As were all.
Although not English, there is one standout name in the Spurs squad :ohmy: .

1720725153189.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I actually thought he found it somewhere, but I now see he wrote that he did knock it up.
It was a less-than-5 minute job. Inspired by 'Fact times Interest equals News' (Brass Eye).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That certainly looks like a who's who of European football, but the truth is that Croatia and Italy were shocking this tournament, and France were nowhere near as good as they should have been. The only team France could score against in open play was Spain!

Germany aren't as good as they've been in previous years (ranked 16th), but they were decent in this, their home tournament. Spain have certainly well earned their place in the final, while we got a lucky draw.
Precisely.

If it weren't for this dumb-arse thread we could all just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Instead we get a lairy willy-waving contest by proxy. Now, call me old fashioned, but I don't need to think about someone waving someone else's willy, while I'm watching the football :shrug:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Why should I support England?…….
Right, I’ve got that off my chest, onwards and upwards. I’m off work till Tuesday so I’m gonna be on the sauce all weekend, I’ll be out Sunday night with the wife and boy (who ARE England mad) so I’ll be joining in. I’m quite looking forward to it (but I’m looking forward to Basingstoke Saturday too, especially if I can get a curry!)
What will get me going is this (bear in mind Sweet Caroline sucks arse and Three Lions is old and tired now) Enjoy…..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Right, I’ve got that off my chest, onwards and upwards. I’m off work till Tuesday so I’m gonna be on the sauce all weekend, I’ll be out Sunday night with the wife and boy (who ARE England mad) so I’ll be joining in. I’m quite looking forward to it (but I’m looking forward to Basingstoke Saturday too, especially if I can get a curry!)
What will get me going is this (bear in mind Sweet Caroline sucks arse and Three Lions is old and tired now) Enjoy…..

Have a great time :thumbsup:

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
A little rant culminating in referring to those that are not as enthusiastic about the national team as you being referred to as “woke”. What a cop out that is.

Why should I support England? I don’t really like many of their players (nor do any of you lot most weekends) I’m not a big fan of their style of play (I find international football dull generally)
I’m not a big fan of their support, I’m not getting pally with some Burnley fan singing about World War 2 or the IRA like he’s some sort of long lost brother just because he’s wearing an England shirt, and what the f*** have they done to Neil Diamond!? The support for them at the moment is akin to Man United, most of the “it’s coming home” mob at work or in the pub have never been to a Wembley home match in their lives (I’ve been to several home and abroad) and when England play Moldova on a wet Wednesday in November these super fans will be watching The Appearance.
Yes I want them to win but I won’t be crying my eyes out if they don’t
Fair enough, well said.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not saying Venables was bad, and as I have said, my instinctive response favours him over Southgate. Even though the evidence does not justify it. As you say, Venables wasn't there long enough to allow anyone to fairly judge.

I think the evidence does justify favouring Venables. Look at both how he had England playing, and how he did at other clubs. He's one of the forerunners of moderns football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the evidence does justify favouring Venables. Look at both how he had England playing, and how he did at other clubs. He's one of the forerunners of moderns football.
I was referring to evidence of his achievements as England manager, not his intrinsic abilities based on his wider achievements. I am sticking to the level of appreciation for their respective England achievements in order to explore a point about the appreciation of Southgate, in this thread about Southgate as England manager. Perhaps I shouldn't have brought up Venables at al. I only got involved with the thread because it annoyed me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was, and he was also clever enough to have Don Howe on his staff as well, a defensive mastermind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was referring to evidence of his achievements as England manager, not his intrinsic abilities based on his wider achievements. I am sticking to the level of appreciation for their respective England achievements in order to explore a point about the appreciation of Southgate, in this thread about Southgate as England manager.

Yeah understood. But if just sticking to achievements as England manager, we have to look at what they did in the time they had. Venables did more in his couple of years, than Southgate did in his first couple. We can't compare what Southgate has done since those first couple of years, because Terry didn't have that time.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
One solution could be England have an extra round of qualification after qualifying for a tournament?

Maybe play three more matches and everyone’s allowed to vote on the style and manner of play rather than the result - in case we won all these games too due to a ref or VAR decision going our way, Harry Kane scores, the angle of the run and winning volley wasn’t perfect, subs weren’t made early enough.

Thereafter, a decision is taken nationally as to whether we then take part in the tournament or not, after everyone’s view has been considered.

Once underway in the tournament itself, a golden buzzer in reverse should be deployed so that if we play badly but look like winning or drawing to progress further, it can be pressed so that we immediately and instantly exit the tournament. England winning on penalties could also be disallowed.

If in the final we still manager to win, then post presentation a decision - again after the nation is consulted on the style and manner of the victory - could be taken as to whether we want the trophy or give to the other team*

This approach isn’t without challenges I concede, but it’s better than what we currently have which has produced a genuine risk that we might actually win something by sheer luck again.

*acknowledging other teams participating always play perfect football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps a non-issue?
Shouldn’t a squad be picked on ‘fit to playing style’or dare I say it ‘ability’?
Of course. It is notable how the proportion of black players getting caps has increase in the last 20 years, along with the increase in the proportion of black plyers per se. Of course we can never know the reason. Certainly however 10 years earlier managers were told to not pick 'too many' black players.
Yeah understood. But if just sticking to achievements as England manager, we have to look at what they did in the time they had. Venables did more in his couple of years, than Southgate did in his first couple. We can't compare what Southgate has done since those first couple of years, because Terry didn't have that time.
Fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here