Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To all of those who thought...

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
larus said:
I think DW has done a good job, but this has been helped in no small part by the return of Butters/Hinsh.

The confidence that this has brought through the team is clear to see. They now don't appear to be scared of conceding goals.

I always supported MM, but towards the end I became dis-illusioned with him. How much was down to the man, the team selection, the morale within the team, the support for him from the directors, I don't know; but overall, I think it was the right thing for him to leave.

However, when pratts start saying that he was a crap manager, when it's clear that with what he had available to him, overall he did a good job in his time here, it just shows their own stupidity. Look at what he achieved with a crap stadium, low crowds, having to sell our best players. Your argument would hold more credence if it was backed up by facts.

On the other side though, the ardent pro MM posters must also acknowledge that we now appear to be playing attractive, attacking, fluent football with virtually the same players available for selection (Bowditch is the only addition). This does appear to blow holes through MM continually saying we needed a big target man. DW appears to have instilled some belief/confidence into Jake/Revell; Hammond is much better with El-Abd and not Carpenter as a central partner.

Overall, I'm glad MM has gone, although I think he did a good job.

Hard to disagree with that.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Arrid said:
"magnificent job" give me strength! You must think Wilkins is Alex Ferguson then.

I assume from your post that you are too young to remember him getting us promoted with a team not nearly good enough to go up, not forgetting the away wins against West Ham & Palace and the game where we matched Spurs for 89 minutes. Those games spring to mind but there are many more that prove the FACT that McGhee did a magnificent job.

ANd no, I dont think Wilkins is anything like Ferguson, if he turns out to be like him I'll be more than a little disappointed. Cheating Manc Scum!!!!!!!!

chez said:
I get it. So when the team lose 2 or 3 on the trot now, we all come on here and boast how right we were when we said that McGhee (thats his name by the way) was wrongly sacked.

:albion:

aaaHEM! But actually the MM fans (like what you seem to still be) did come on here and post threads about missing MAGOO, and what us 'Magoo outters' thought when Willikins was losing games.

I wasn't overwhelmed by DW either, personally, but the chance for him to do things was FAR BETTER than sticking with MAGOO, who watched dispassionately arms-folded as we got thrashed at home.

The lardy jock was RIGHTFULLY ousted.
He may have been the nicest bloke in Britain, but he wasn't nice enough to keep for taking The Albion down any further.

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Cocksucker Blue said:
McGhee did a good job in difficult circumstances.....I bet you feel bloody stupid now!

No I dont feel stupid. The man took us up in an amazing turn events against swindon and then gave me a fantastic day at cardiff

then kept us up when we were punching above our weight.

An unfortunate turn of events and a group of big mouthed morons who ousted him and he;s gone.

Am I glad Wilkins is in charge..Yes bigtime but am I glad how my football club and fans treated one of our most succesful managers..no!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Re: Re: To all of those who thought...

byf said:
No I dont feel stupid. The man took us up in an amazing turn events against swindon and then gave me a fantastic day at cardiff

then kept us up when we were punching above our weight.

An unfortunate turn of events and a group of big mouthed morons who ousted him and he;s gone.

Am I glad Wilkins is in charge..Yes bigtime but am I glad how my football club and fans treated one of our most succesful managers..no!

Ditto. DW is in charge and happily doing well at the moment, but I wont forget how Mark McGhee was treated.

We now have a reputation for sacking successful managers, whats Wendy gonna think if he does well and gets offered a better job? If the McGhee situation is anything to go by I reckon he'll be off straight away, after all no matter what your results are like your job isn't safe here.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: To all of those who thought...

chez said:
Ditto. DW is in charge and happily doing well at the moment, but I wont forget how Mark McGhee was treated.

We now have a reputation for sacking successful managers, whats Wendy gonna think if he does well and gets offered a better job? If the McGhee situation is anything to go by I reckon he'll be off straight away, after all no matter what your results are like your job isn't safe here.

It is in the past now, but the last 18 months under McGhee had not been all that successful.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Re: Re: Re: Re: To all of those who thought...

Uncle Buck said:
It is in the past now, but the last 18 months under McGhee had not been all that successful.

No manager would have survived in the championship another season after the players we lost and the finances offered for new players.

Chucking Mark Mccamon off a coach at burnley and getting rid of Leon Knight should be also viewed as success for MM aswell!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: To all of those who thought...

byf said:
No manager would have survived in the championship another season after the players we lost and the finances offered for new players.

Chucking Mark Mccamon off a coach at burnley and getting rid of Leon Knight should be also viewed as success for MM aswell!

I do think he had some serious dressing room issues, but the nature of some of the defeats last season and this suggested things were wrong.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I was gutted how he was treated by the fans...I am/was embarrased to be an albion fan after that.

But seing what wilkins is doing with youngsters and a fresh feel about the club..The decision to get rid was right!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The MM outers have as much right to gloat as the inners if we were doing badly, goes with the territory. I'd rather we were doing well myself rather than be able to say i told you so because Mm has gone. His position was always going to be under serious threat once he lost the backing of enough of the crowd who were so vociferous.

I'd add my voice to those who were ashamed at the way he was treated by some fans and the pathetic reason given by DK for his dismissal though

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Icy Gull said:
The MM outers have as much right to gloat as the inners if we were doing badly, goes with the territory. I'd rather we were doing well myself rather than be able to say i told you so because Mm has gone. His position was always going to be under serious threat once he lost the backing of enough of the crowd who were so vociferous.

I'd add my voice to those who were ashamed at the way he was treated by some fans and the pathetic reason given by DK for his dismissal though

I am sorry to disagree but any MM Inners that gloat if we start playing badly are not supporters of the Club. I wanted MM to say and still have my doubts about DW but even if we lost the next 20 games I would still not gloat as I love the Albion and anyone who can gloat at defeat is a very sad individual.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
B.M.F said:
I am sorry to disagree but any MM Inners that gloat if we start playing badly are not supporters of the Club. I wanted MM to say and still have my doubts about DW but even if we lost the next 20 games I would still not gloat as I love the Albion and anyone who can gloat at defeat is a very sad individual.

But you don't deny it would happen, which was really my not very well put point, as it did after DW's shaky period after a good start.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Icy Gull said:
But you don't deny it would happen, which was really my not very well put point, as it did after DW's shaky period after a good start.

It probably would happen and I am not having a pop at you but more to those who would consider gloating about it.

byf said:
I was gutted how he was treated by the fans...I am/was embarrased to be an albion fan after that.

But seing what wilkins is doing with youngsters and a fresh feel about the club..The decision to get rid was right!

Icy Gull said;

Why do people play violin for that one manager - EVERY CLUB sacks managers who do not bring in the bacon, and lardy jock clown was NOT heaping up the points.
Fans are not tolerant of failure either, and our chairman is of the fans and for the fans (who were beginning to stay away)

It's not exactly 'inhumane', it's a business.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
NMH said:
Why do people play violin for that one manager - EVERY CLUB sacks managers who do not bring in the bacon, and lardy jock clown was NOT heaping up the points.
Fans are not tolerant of failure either, and our chairman is of the fans and for the fans (who were beginning to stay away)

It's not exactly 'inhumane', it's a business.

The fans are still staying away if you hadn't noticed?

Your constant ott slagging of MM convinces me that you wouldn't choose to understand anyway, so I won't bother giving more indepth reasons for my disgust at the way he was treated by some, too many in fact.

Icy Gull said:
The fans are still staying away if you hadn't noticed?

Your constant ott slagging of MM convinces me that you wouldn't choose to understand anyway, so I won't bother giving more indepth reasons for my disgust at the way he was treated by some, too many in fact.

How do you know if they are staying away? If you hadn't noticed, we haven't played at Withdean in the league in about three weeks, and the results before then weren't really all that much to write home about. Against Northampton though, I noticed a certain draft of change breezing through the team.

I only slag MM in threads where the subject arises. Should there only be posts praising him then, with nobody responding otherwise?? There is NOTHING to "choose to understand" mate, in this wonderful world of reality I saw the results, the performances, the team spirit, the deployment of players, and the lack of success ....oh, and the repeated ad-infinitum tactics that were reaping that lack of success.

The result of all this, is that I DID say I was going to stay away from our games while he was mismanaging the team, and have since come back, and am looking forward to the next one with enthusiasm. I'd say that is already a 'result' - and I don't imagine I'm the only one.

Icy Gull said:

and why is your defending MM not 'ott'?

Oh, I didn't realise that there was only one opinion worthy of 'understanding', sorry :rolleyes:

larus said:
I think DW has done a good job, but this has been helped in no small part by the return of Butters/Hinsh.

The confidence that this has brought through the team is clear to see. They now don't appear to be scared of conceding goals.

I always supported MM, but towards the end I became dis-illusioned with him. How much was down to the man, the team selection, the morale within the team, the support for him from the directors, I don't know; but overall, I think it was the right thing for him to leave.

However, when pratts start saying that he was a crap manager, when it's clear that with what he had available to him, overall he did a good job in his time here, it just shows their own stupidity. Look at what he achieved with a crap stadium, low crowds, having to sell our best players. Your argument would hold more credence if it was backed up by facts.

On the other side though, the ardent pro MM posters must also acknowledge that we now appear to be playing attractive, attacking, fluent football with virtually the same players available for selection (Bowditch is the only addition). This does appear to blow holes through MM continually saying we needed a big target man. DW appears to have instilled some belief/confidence into Jake/Revell; Hammond is much better with El-Abd and not Carpenter as a central partner.

Overall, I'm glad MM has gone, although I think he did a good job.

That seems quite fair in assessment.
For some time, MM was not a crap manager, and did get something out of the little he had to play with. However, he could not unstiffen that neck enough for the tasks that continued to face him - and maybe did not have faith in the 'wood that trees are made of'.

We are still faced with the same challenges, if not more so than ever. With lads that have faith though, mountains be afraid! It's no good keep thinking about what we don't have when that won't change soon - but instilling something with the assets already here under noses is making things happen, and rightly so.

If you put Chelsea on a pitch against Macclesfield - you still start with 11 men against 11 men, a ball and a flat field.
Football always has limitless possibilities. Always.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here