Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tinkerman Gus

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
we have the strength in our usual first choice, ..

I thought the whole point of this thread was that we DON'T have a 'first choice'.

The logic that we shouldn't adapt our team to the opposition is LUDICROUS.

If Gus feels the opposition have a naive, perhaps slow full back he can play KLL to terrorise them. If he feels they will pressure us he'll put Barnes there to put in a shift.

The fact we've bought in a different kind of striker in Ulloa is the BIGGEST chance Gus has ever had to adapt his team even more from game to game.

What's the point of a squad if it's not providing you with options that you are happy to use? Would you rather have a core 11 that leaves us in a mess if 3 get injured (like Newcastle United)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No I would start every game with

Kuszckak

Bruno/Calderon
Greer
El Abd
Bridge

Buckley
Hammond
Bridcutt
Orlandi

CMS
Ulloa

with Barnes, Vicente Hoskins Lua Lua Dicker and Dunk/Painter on the bench. Adding or dropping subs according to form, but stick with the same starting XI except for injuries and suspensions or serious loss of form.

I think they would cope with whatever is thrown at us and then make substitutions as seems appropriate as the game progresses.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Reading between the lines I believe Gus will be with us for the foreseeable he is going to make the odd blunder now and again, its frustrating yes but he is also learning his trade. To point the finger every time something does not go to plan is not really very constructive.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Any away point is a decent point in reality in this division

It is IF you're winning the great majority of your home games, which we are not. Assuming, that is, that you're wanting promotion or at least the playoffs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is IF you're winning the great majority of your home games, which we are not. Assuming, that is, that you're wanting promotion or at least the playoffs.

Other teams also have a say in this. If you're expectations are high then you will be disappointed no matter which team you support. Teams like Leicester, Cardiff and Hull have been trying to get promoted longer than us. Enjoy the ride.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We should start with:

Kuszczak
Greer
Bridge
El Abd
Bruno

Bridcutt
Buckley
Hammond
Orlandi

Barnes
Mackail-Smith

Because they are the players who have been on the pitch for most of our goals, i.e. Bridcutt has been on the pitch for 95% of our goals, Buckley for 67%.

Then when, we've got the lead, switch to:

Brezovan

Painter
Dunk

Vicente
Hoskins
Lualua
Dicker
Lopez
Orlandi

Agdestein
Dobbie

As we've conceded fewest goals with them on he pitch (we haven't conceded any with Painter, Agdestein or Harley on the pitch).

There, sorted. Success guaranteed.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Some good points on this thread. Whilst Poyet has done exceptionally well, if he tinkered less we could be comfortably in the top 6. Get it wrong in this league and you get found out, Millwall at home 1st half, last night for example. Get it wrong if/when we go up you get battered, Liverpool & West Ham away spring to mind.

Gus stresses the need to rotate yet the back 4, bar injuries, is rightly never changed. Why..? He knows his best back 4.
Midfield however is a different story. Gus tried all kinds of combinations of players before seemingly settling on consistent midfield that has served us well since the new year. So what does he do, drop Hammond for Dicker and jettison Buckley. Strange to say the least, especially with the lack of game time Dicker has had with no reserve side.

He seems to be trying to accommodate all his favourite spanish players at the expense of some kind of winning formation. Vicente upfront away at Blackburn?! Bonkers. Talk about no outlet. He's making problems for himself. Its a simple game after all Gus, don't make it complicated.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We also had injuries earlier in the season, whereas there's only one at the moment. We also have a new player who will, hopefully, be a piece of the final jigsaw.
The form is good now, so let's hope it continues. There are still lots of points to play for.

Agreed, but if you took away the first 7 games and based our points average on the last 20 odd, I shudder to think what our average points per game would be. The fact is, we do need a dramatic up turn in form, which is possible. But we have got to make it happen, not just hope that it does.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed, but if you took away the first 7 games and based our points average on the last 20 odd, I shudder to think what our average points per game would be. The fact is, we do need a dramatic up turn in form, which is possible. But we have got to make it happen, not just hope that it does.

Which is why I pointed out that in January our league form is 2 points a game. 4 games, 2 wins and 2 draws. Hopefully we can stay on track but in football, you never know what's around the corner or the next game. It isn't that simple.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I don't think we have named an unchanged starting eleven since August. I would like to see a more settled side as I think this helps form. However, if we can make those play offs then Viva La Change!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Which is why I pointed out that in January our league form is 2 points a game. 4 games, 2 wins and 2 draws. Hopefully we can stay on track but in football, you never know what's around the corner or the next game. It isn't that simple.

But I disagree that we are in form. The win against Ipswich was a good result, we beat a Newcastle second string who are in free fall and we were favorites to win the game. We held on for dear life against Derby when the game should have been dead and buried. An unlucky draw against Birmingham, evened out by a lucky draw last night....and people are shouting from the roof tops we are in good form. We aren't but if people want to kids themselves, that's fine....I do however believe with a more possitive attitude on the pitch, this can still be a very very memorable season in deed.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
A win ratio of 60%, coupled with 0 losses is good form.

We have a squad of players. Rotation of players is normal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here