Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tinkerman Gus

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Gus has admitted in today's Argus that he was to blame for yesterday's performance by picking the wrong team.

That is clearly one of his problems. Why does he feel the need to constantly tinker with the starting line-up?

Sure he needed to bring Vicente back into the team if fit, but why drop Hammond after a run of good displays?

I reckon if we played a more settled starting line-up we would find that our form is more consistent. And once we've got our new striker registered I hope that Gus will play two up front HOME and AWAY. Why get all defensive for away games? We have a good squad that can beat most teams. Get a settled line-up and maybe, just maybe we can make the playoffs.

GUS, PLEASE STOP TINKERING.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why does Gus always play Barnes no matter what?! He's so STUBBORN. Needs to mix up the side a bit more.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We could all see that tactically things weren't right yesterday. I'm encouraged that Gus is man enough to admit that and to shoulder responsibility.

If I was in his position I'd probably tinker quite a lot, too. Our squad has a lot of options available, especially in midfield, and when a player like Vicente comes back to fitness you're probably going to build your game plan around him.

As for Barnes ... he just suits the way Gus works and as we've discussed several million times on here, he does stuff that is necessary but often overlooked. Plus he's one of our more reliable goal-getters.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I honestly don't think he knows what his best side is, or combination or formation. How can he???...I challenge anyone to name what the best team is. One thing I do know is you don't play players out of position, just to accommodate them in the side. If anything this weakens the side. We all know if fit Vicente is head and shoulders the best player at the club. But you don't start him up front just for the sake of it, because you can't justify dropping Orlandi or Lopez. We all know Vicente is wasted playing up top.If he has only got 60 mins in his legs, then he should be on the bench until he has got 90 in them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought he picked the right side for last night. CMS needed a rest looking at the Birmingham performance, Dicker in for Hammond made sense. Didn't work, but I had no problem with the changes he made from Saturday for a game 3 days later.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As for Barnes ... he just suits the way Gus works and as we've discussed several million times on here, he does stuff that is necessary but often overlooked. Plus he's one of our more reliable goal-getters.
Scored in last two games? contender for man of the match for both??

I think you may have missed Mellotron's point. i.e. Gus gets criticised when he doesn't change things (such as people calling for him to make changes including replacing Barnes, CMS, Hammond, Dicker, Crofts, Greer, Orlandi, Lopez, etc and/or calling for Lualua, Hoskins, Dobbie, etc. a run in the team) and criticised when he does (e.g. this thread). He can't win.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I nearly said the same thing, however I think [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] was perhaps being sarcastic. Either that or I misread his own post from a couple of days ago stating Barnes couldn't be dropped in his current form.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Gus has admitted in today's Argus that he was to blame for yesterday's performance by picking the wrong team.

That is clearly one of his problems. Why does he feel the need to constantly tinker with the starting line-up?

Sure he needed to bring Vicente back into the team if fit, but why drop Hammond after a run of good displays?

I reckon if we played a more settled starting line-up we would find that our form is more consistent. And once we've got our new striker registered I hope that Gus will play two up front HOME and AWAY. Why get all defensive for away games? We have a good squad that can beat most teams. Get a settled line-up and maybe, just maybe we can make the playoffs.

GUS, PLEASE STOP TINKERING.

So we keep the same team every game?

I agree with you about Hammond, as we are a better side with him in it...However, if we'dve won 0-1 last night, everyone would have said Gus was a tactical genius.

Things will work and other times they won't...EVeryone wanted Vicente to play...he did and it didn't work last night. Not worth worrying about...Can't do anything about it now.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think you may have missed Mellotron's point. i.e. Gus gets criticised when he doesn't change things (such as people calling for him to make changes including replacing Barnes, CMS, Hammond, Dicker, Crofts, Greer, Orlandi, Lopez, etc and/or calling for Lualua, Hoskins, Dobbie, etc. a run in the team) and criticised when he does (e.g. this thread). He can't win.

Ok fair enough...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I was joking. Half the time people say he tinkers too much. Half the time he's too stubborn.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. January form - 4 games, 2 won, 2 drawn, - 8 points - 2 points per game.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I do feel as though sometimes he changes the formation/squad to stop the other team playing and focuses too much on stopping the other team from playing.

I would rather let teams worry about us, and go for it, and turn some of these 1 points into 3.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought it a shame that Buckles didnae get a start last night. The side lacked pace throughout and i could see Buckles playing off of Vicente, if it was determined he would start as our front man, bursting through when he wished. Gus must have thought with the likes of Vicente, Orlandi and Lopez that we'd play a beautiful possession game, dazzling and bamboozling in equal measure, with flicks and shortballs. ALthough Orlandi has scored a couple recently i haven't really seen him in form, so a Buckles in for him may've worked well.
We may've also thought this was a relatively easy match, which in ways i might have been considering Blackburn weren't so excellent, and put a couple of stand-ins in there to rest our ever-so-regulars for bigger matches to come. Gus was right to say it was a mistake, but one he'll learn from, i think.
Ulloa is surely the frontline answer, or certainly the one to command a starting place either with or instead of CMS. He'll give us options if we're tripe.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm devastated with being 7th.

I'm devastated with our recent wins.

I'm devastated with two consecutive draws at ex-premier league teams Birmingham and Blackburn.

Just to clarify.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here