Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Timewasters at the FA. AGAIN.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow.

Something he said when he was a kid and getting punished as an adult.

The world (FA) has gone mad [emoji2357]

I've read it a couple of times but can't see where it mentions punishment.
What did he get?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 hours with you. [emoji6]

Probably best wait for the actual punishment before getting your knickers in a twist about the punishment.

Not saying there won't be ample opportunity to get titsy.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
When I was 10 I repeated a joke I heard about being gay, I can't remember how it goes but I'm sure it was very offensive to any gay person. Many decades later, whilst not perfect, I very much would not do such a thing. So does this mean I am I now a big, fat homophobe and should be punished publicly or is it possible that I grew up as a person and learned to be less of a knob?

Cancel culture is a serious problem in society today. It is like we took the miracle of the internet and used it to transport ourselves back to the middle ages where self appointed witch hunter generals destroy lives for some sanctimonious thrill.

I am against this by the way.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
When I was 10 I repeated a joke I heard about being gay, I can't remember how it goes but I'm sure it was very offensive to any gay person. Many decades later, whilst not perfect, I very much would not do such a thing. So does this mean I am I now a big, fat homophobe and should be punished publicly or is it possible that I grew up as a person and learned to be less of a knob?

Cancel culture is a serious problem in society today. It is like we took the miracle of the internet and used it to transport ourselves back to the middle ages where self appointed witch hunter generals destroy lives for some sanctimonious thrill.

I am against this by the way.

The difference there is you told a joke, to a limited audience, presumably mates.

You didn't post the same joke on a public forum for the world to see for ever more!

If you dont want to be caught out by your mistakes, don't make them public...!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Which is true, but 14 year olds are terminally stupid. :dunce:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If I got punished for all the stupid things I said (that I would no longer say or think) when I was 13-14, I'd get a lot of punishment. I dont think I'm the only one in that position.

Everyone is entitled to a view, some people are offended, some are not, some people cry with upset, some people are grown up, ignore it, and get on with life.

No they aren’t.

But is it acceptable to retrospectively punish someone for making a mistake 9 years ago that they may now regret, have apologized for and educated themselves about? I assume this is the what the FA wish to establish.

It’s not like he retweeted the post last week. He really should have deleted it though.

If I understand your logic, any 14 year old around the world currently posting something homophobic, racist, misogynistic or otherwise bigoted online should face no repercussions as long as they are sorry after the fact.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If I understand your logic, any 14 year old around the world currently posting something homophobic, racist, misogynistic or otherwise bigoted online should face no repercussions as long as they are sorry after the fact.

When its brought up 9 years later, yea pretty much.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

14 year olds shouldnt of course be making such comments, but I don't think charging grown ups publicly with misconduct for comments they made when they really were a child 9 years ago is particularly right either, what repercussions should they expect?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No they aren’t.

But is it acceptable to retrospectively punish someone for making a mistake 9 years ago that they may now regret, have apologized for and educated themselves about? I assume this is the what the FA wish to establish.

It’s not like he retweeted the post last week. He really should have deleted it though.

And that is the only reason that it is an issue for the F.A.

It's the same deal as if he had hung an offensive message on his front door when he was 14, if it is still hanging there when he is 23, it looks as though he might stand by that message.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
The difference there is you told a joke, to a limited audience, presumably mates.

You didn't post the same joke on a public forum for the world to see for ever more!

If you dont want to be caught out by your mistakes, don't make them public...!

So this person is fair game due to a lack of social media savvy when they were a child? No. This attitude sickens me. I'm all for iconoclasm when the victim is scum of the earth but a kid who was a bit of a bellend when younger? How has this vindictive bullying taken over the whole world? And defended by so many on here. I despair.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So this person is fair game due to a lack of social media savvy when they were a child? No. This attitude sickens me. I'm all for iconoclasm when the victim is scum of the earth but a kid who was a bit of a bellend when younger? How has this vindictive bullying taken over the whole world? And defended by so many on here. I despair.

The BBC piece does not make it clear, but he is charged with a breach of FA rules E 3.1. and E 3.2. This means he made comments to or about match officials after leaving the field, and that there was an aggravating factor. He would have been an Arsenal Academy player at the time.
Once the F.A. are aware of it, what should they have done, if not what they have done so far?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The BBC piece does not make it clear, but he is charged with a breach of FA rules E 3.1. and E 3.2. This means he made comments to or about match officials after leaving the field, and that there was an aggravating factor. He would have been an Arsenal Academy player at the time.
Once the F.A. are aware of it, what should they have done, if not what they have done so far?

Exactly.

I don't understand why anyone has a problem with what the FA have done too date.

It's what they do next that may or may not be of concern.

But why wait that long when you can throw your toys out of the pram now.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another logic is that people who are so judgemetal of what a 14 year old said on the internet 9 year ago - without knowing anything about his upbringing; his family could have belonged to one of those religious groups that regard homosexuality as a mortal sin, and he could simply have been re-iterating the values he'd been taught. Maybe, maybe not. None of us knows - but as I was saying, the other logic is that people who are oh so judgemental of a 14 year old boy's actions 9 years ago are bloody lucky the internet wasn't around when they were fourteen!

Last edited:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
jeeez, i just hope every child born comes with the wisdom of adulthood.

f sake, who, of us never did, said, wrote something offensive to someone whilst we were growing up that we are shameful of later in life.

problem is in this life there seems no room for anyone to make a mistake without being hounded to the ends of the earth.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

Calm down ol’ chap. I don’t think he should be made an example of, people make mistakes, young people especially. However that still doesn’t detract from the fact he obviously made inappropriate comments, which presumably he wasn’t forced to do, and must have believed in (at the time).

I refer back to my previous, don’t post crap online that you wouldn’t want someone to throw back in your face - might sound sanctimonious, but think it would be good advice for some to follow...!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
So… I’m taking that as nobody knows what he actually said? :lolol:

Classic NSC, an argument about whether a punishment was harsh when nobody knows what the crime actually was. Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here