Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time Travel....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Seagullible said:
The only way to get out is if time travel opens a parrallel(sp) dimension where the first instant exists in it's own time line but the second line where the change is made start a fresh

or something like that!

Wikipedia explains that that's one of the Time Travel theories - can't remember what it's called though! BTTF2 shows that quite well.

*only a film and all that*

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'd go watch the Beatles live in the Cavern.
I'd watch the Brazil National side of the early 1970's.
I'd meet Shakespeare while he was writting A Midsummer Night's Dream.
I'd go look at some Dinosaurs..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sten_super said:
But according to that clever bloke Einstein, as soon as you travel at the speed of light you get converted to pure energy anyway, and cease to exist... :down:

Of course.

But if you the human body was protected then that wouldn't be an issue. You wouldn't be able to run at faster the speed of light (without appearing to go backwards anyway) so you'd need some kind of device, like the TARDIS.

As you say, if you travelled at 299 792 458 miles a second and you didn't want to be transfered into pure energy then you need to be inside some protective sphere. Like a egg shaped ball that would protect you from the forces acting upon it.

When they suss out how to travel at such an emmense speed (it would take 5 minutes to travel to the sun..) AND protect the human body from the forces acting upon it while travelling at such speeds, then time travel will be an actuality.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Time slows down relative to you as you approach light speed. The faster you go, the further back you see.. put simply.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
12 Monkeys is a good example of a film where certain events are already pre-written, like the example at the top of this thread where JFK is shot, but the guy who does it won't be born for another 80 odd years.

Great film.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ringo said:
Time slows down relative to you as you approach light speed. The faster you go, the further back you see.. put simply.

I didn't really understand that, so I thought I'd test how simply you had put it...

First I went to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_travel

and then, wikipedia led me to here:
http://www.theculture.org/rich/sharpblue/archives/000089.html

and a quick detour to here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

at which point I gave up for tonight.

Anyway, after conducting my very own experiment, it turns out that what you said was put simply. Very simply. Although I still don't get 'the faster you go, the further you see back' bit.:( :dunce:

Time travel will NEVER be possible - why? Think about it, we'd be visited by tourists from the future now!

(sorry if this has already been covered somewhere in the 3 pages of this thread but like f*** am I wasting my lunch break to read all this nerdy shite)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
¤D?En¥ §?EG?EL¤ said:
Time travel will NEVER be possible - why? Think about it, we'd be visited by tourists from the future now!

(sorry if this has already been covered somewhere in the 3 pages of this thread but like f*** am I wasting my lunch break to read all this nerdy shite)

Well, you might think that, but I happen to postulate that:

time travel may only be possible in a region of spacetime that is warped in the right way, and that if we can't create such a region until the future, then time travelers would not be able to travel back before that date, so 'This picture would explain why we haven't been over run by tourists from the future.'

Or, in other words...

A proposed time-travel machine using a traversable wormhole would (hypothetically) work something like this. A wormhole is created somehow. One end of the wormhole is accelerated to nearly the speed of light, perhaps with an advanced spaceship, and then brought back to the point of origin. Due to time dilation, the accelerated end of the wormhole has now aged less than the stationary end, as seen by an external observer. However, time connects differently through the wormhole than outside it, so that synchronized clocks at either end of the wormhole will always remain synchronized as seen by an observer passing through the wormhole, no matter how the two ends move around. This means that an observer entering the accelerated end would exit the stationary end when the stationary end was the same age that the accelerated end had been at the moment before entry; for example, if prior to entering the wormhole the observer noted that a clock at the accelerated end read a date of 2005 while a clock at the stationary end read 2010, then the observer would exit the stationary end when its clock also read 2005, a trip backwards in time as seen by other observers outside. One significant limitation of such a time machine is that it is only possible to go as far back in time as the initial creation of the machine[9]; in essence, it is more of a path through time than it is a device that itself moves through time, and it would not allow the technology itself to be moved backwards in time. This could provide an alternative explanation for Hawking's observation: a time machine will be built someday, but has not yet been built, so the tourists from the future cannot reach this far back in time.

So there you go.:)

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
Ah, but we're in the first run of the universe - you know like in BTTF 2 when there is regular 1985, then the Doc and Marty create a new one.

This opens up the whole parallel universe type thing where anything that could happen has happened somewhere - my brain hurts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..and if you did discoveer that you could travel back in time, you would probably post how you did it on NSC only to get back loads of the following reply:

FIXTURES!

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Mark you anarach (if thats how you spell it) i can see you watching Back to the Future whilst wearing your Dr Who scarf that your mum knitted for you :lolol:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I think I'd go wherever this took me.

Time_Tunnel.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here