Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
So you have one of these....
tardis.jpg

Or maybe one of these...
back-to-the-future-car-dolorean.jpg

Where do you go first?

What, if anything do you change?

Which ONE Football Match would you attend?

Remember, one cock-up and you can erase your own existance (apparently), or change the course of history.....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
There is an argument that if time travel is possible it won't change anything because if it has already been changed in the past we only know of it as the past.

For example if someone went back in time to kill JFK and done it then we would only know of it as our history so wouldn't have known that he was never assasinated in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tardis of course. change absolutly nothing, you dont know what it might affect even worse. and the match to see would be our FA Cup final. of course.

really, silly questions.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Les Biehn said:
There is an argument that if time travel is possible it won't change anything because if it has already been changed in the past we only know of it as the past.

For example if someone went back in time to kill JFK and done it then we would only know of it as our history so wouldn't have known that he was never assasinated in the first place.

I love the ridiculously complicated nature of time travel theory.

So going by that theory, presumably life is based around some sort of timeline that has already been written. The person who goes back in time to shoot JFK doesn't actually do it until 2080, but because it is written, we see that as the only event that occured?
So, therefore if that the case, then nobody would actually know there was a time that JFK wasn't shot? Interesting theory.
I'm confused already:)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Withdean Wanderer said:
I love the ridiculously complicated nature of time travel theory.

So going by that theory, presumably life is based around some sort of timeline that has already been written. The person who goes back in time to shoot JFK doesn't actually do it until 2080, but because it is written, we see that as the only event that occured?
So, therefore if that the case, then nobody would actually know there was a time that JFK wasn't shot? Interesting theory.
I'm confused already:)

You seem to have grasped it pretty well to me Potter.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Les Biehn said:
You seem to have grasped it pretty well to me Potter.

fair enough. Too many hours spent watching Back to the future me thinks....

So, as nobody appears to give two shits about the actual questions, can anybody reccomend any other time travel books/films?

Where should I start? Bill & Ted?:lol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Withdean Wanderer said:
fair enough. Too many hours spent watching Back to the future me thinks....

So, as nobody appears to give two shits about the actual questions, can anybody reccomend any other time travel books/films?

Where should I start? Bill & Ted?:lol:

Donnie Darko is a good one for this.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Les Biehn said:
Donnie Darko is a good one for this.

I will have to give that one a go, think there is a DVD of it somewhere about the house, came free with a newspaper or something.

Though it has just occured to me, if that theory is correct, then we have no control. We aren't making a chioce, as we've already made it????

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
without getting too techie - time travel is THEORETICALLY possible.

If you want to travel backwards, then I don't think this will ever be possible in itself but you can witness the past.

When you see things, it's just light reflecting from the object you're viewing onto your eyes. But, your eyes don't pick up all the light that hit that object/event and most of it goes flying off into the ether.

So...if you could travel faster than light (which is a moot point) you could catch up some light beams that reflected on the Kennedy killing/ 83 Cup final / Battle of Hastings etc.

If you want to travel forward in time then just travel very very fast.

Time slows down relative to you as you approach light speed, so if you went out in a spaceship for say 4 years and travelled exceedingly fast - faster even than a white van driver the earth would have aged quicker and the people on it would be relatively older.

Alternatively, 15 pints of stella and drop a few e's and you'll advance from 11 o'clock Friday night to 8 o'clock Saturday morning in the blink of an eye.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Withdean Wanderer said:
I will have to give that one a go, think there is a DVD of it somewhere about the house, came free with a newspaper or something.

Though it has just occured to me, if that theory is correct, then we have no control. We aren't making a chioce, as we've already made it????

Exactly. Whatever path you follow is the only path, there is no alternative path as it is only an abstract concept of what might have been.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
To carry on from what buzzer said, theoretically people at higher altitude age slower than those at a lower altitude because the rotation of the earth means they travel more distance but in the same time so are actually travelling faster. I think, or I may have that the wrong way round.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Buzzer said:
without getting too techie - time travel is THEORETICALLY possible.

If you want to travel backwards, then I don't think this will ever be possible in itself but you can witness the past.

When you see things, it's just light reflecting from the object you're viewing onto your eyes. But, your eyes don't pick up all the light that hit that object/event and most of it goes flying off into the ether.

So...if you could travel faster than light (which is a moot point) you could catch up some light beams that reflected on the Kennedy killing/ 83 Cup final / Battle of Hastings etc.

If you want to travel forward in time then just travel very very fast.

Time slows down relative to you as you approach light speed, so if you went out in a spaceship for say 4 years and travelled exceedingly fast - faster even than a white van driver the earth would have aged quicker and the people on it would be relatively older.

Alternatively, 15 pints of stella and drop a few e's and you'll advance from 11 o'clock Friday night to 8 o'clock Saturday morning in the blink of an eye.

Hmmm. Sounds easier to reach 88mph to me......!!
But basically, as soon as technology is advanced enough to travel faster than the speed of light, we'll be able to travel back in time. Marvellous! :down:

Think i'll see what Wikipedia reckons.

Withdean Wanderer said:
Hmmm. Sounds easier to reach 88mph to me......!!
But basically, as soon as technology is advanced enough to travel faster than the speed of light, we'll be able to travel back in time. Marvellous! :down:

Think i'll see what Wikipedia reckons.

But according to that clever bloke Einstein, as soon as you travel at the speed of light you get converted to pure energy anyway, and cease to exist... :down:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
sten_super said:
But according to that clever bloke Einstein, as soon as you travel at the speed of light you get converted to pure energy anyway, and cease to exist... :down:

Was he really that clever though

einstein.jpg

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Interesting.

If you were able to travel back in time, but arrived like the bloke in Terminator with no clothes or any modern stuff (watch etc.) would you actually be able to invent anything?

I reckon I could make some gunpowder if I was able to mess about a bit, I would be able to point out that infections are caused by germs so cleaning hospitals would improve survival, I would Know that Pennicillin is a fungus you can grow on bread...but what else??

Some bloke on the radio the other day (talking about time travel) reckoned he would be a God with all knowlege he has, but I reckon most people would be completely clueless about how to build engines or Guns or Radios etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here