Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to say bye to Cullip

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
fatboy said:
How many centre backs did we have on the pitch?

El-Abd, Hinshelwood, Virgo.

Yet we play Mayo at centre back.

Yes i did wince with incredulity when i heard he was centre back. And at least one of the goals was his fault, their 2nd i think.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
MidlandSeagull69 said:
Instead of looking to strengthen the forward line i think that its two solid central defenders we need to stop leaking these stupid goals. its quite clear to me that our defence is the weak link in our side and Cullip is unable to step up to the challenge of Championship forwards.

My own opinion obviously but this is a discussion board.

Yeah, a couple of mistakes and let's sell the best centre back we've ever had. Din!

Re: Re: Time to say bye to Cullip

magoo said:
Yeah, a couple of mistakes and let's sell the best centre back we've ever had. Din!

Danny C. is a good defender and inspiration to other players ( Well, sometimes! ) but the best central defender we've ever had? Mark Lawrenson? Steve Foster? Gary Stevens? Norman Gall? Steve Gatting even? Danny is good, but I don't rate him among the greats......

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Danny slips for their first goal, and people are calling for his head!!... absolutely ridiculous... his footwear was to blame...

The big mistake MM made was playing Mayo as a central defender... I said that we would greatly enhance our chances of conceding if Mayo played there before the game... and I was right... I would have played Virgs in the centre of our defence... or, possibly, Hinsh... who is not a midfielder, and never will be... Hinsh has certainly played well in the centre of our defence in the past...

If Virgs dropped back, then Leon could have partnered McPhee... Leon always has a chance of scoring, even if out of form... and, unless we sign someone, this is our best strike pairing...

If Hinsh had played in central defence, then Jarrett or Jones could have got their chance... Jones slightly more defensive, Jarrett if we wanted to go for the jugular...

I just hope MM has learnt his lesson for Gillingham...

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Re: Re: Re: Time to say bye to Cullip

Zeitgeist said:
Danny C. is a good defender and inspiration to other players ( Well, sometimes! ) but the best central defender we've ever had? Mark Lawrenson? Steve Foster? Gary Stevens? Norman Gall? Steve Gatting even? Danny is good, but I don't rate him among the greats......

Yes, yes i knew i'd get nitpicked for it. He's certainly up there though isn't he!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here