Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to say bye to Cullip

Cullip made a couple of slips today but we'll really miss him when he goes for the op - think Blackpool a few months ago if you want soft goals. Kerry did well today, good call McGhee.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Even though he made a couple of errors today, Cullip was still probably our second best player this afternoon!

BatterSeagull

Aug 1, 2003
London
Didnt think the whole defence was shit today. Only Cullip, (who deserves an off day) and Harding (who is having far too many).

El-Abd is a good squad player and is not letting the side down. Kerry looked comfortable in the middle although agree left back is his best position. IMO he along with Currie were our best two players today based on the whole game and not just the first half, when most of the team were having their moments.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Danny may have not had a great game, but be fair - Mayo was weak at centre half and I have to agree with the guy on the phone in about Harding. He may have potential but I think he is way overated. I could hear the away bench telling their winger to go at 'the left back'. He obviously did'nt rate him either.

I accept that some of the goals we've conceded have been farcical at times, but is'nt the problem up front. This was only the second game in ten that we've scored more than one goal !

Oct 5, 2003
"Time to say bye to Cullip
Instead of looking to strengthen the forward line i think that its two solid central defenders we need to stop leaking these stupid goals. its quite clear to me that our defence is the weak link in our side and Cullip is unable to step up to the challenge of Championship forwards." :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BEING A GENIUS THATS WHAT I WAS SAYING AGES AGO ANYWAY SPOT ON CULLIPS HOPELESS HE MUST GO, to say Butters looks class when on field of play at same time as Cullip show ya just how sh1te Cullip is, we are carrying his sh1tty footballing skills and its become an even bigger joke get the :dunce: outta this once great football team its a DISGRACE CULLIP WEARS THE STRIPES

C U L L I P O U T

Oct 5, 2003
yep good point Ernest, trouble is little leon aint much cop at his job now he cant con the ref outta his diving all over the park, that our forward line needs a helping hand!

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
kinkygerbil said:
didnt think mayo was that bad

Watch the goals on tv.He lost Furlong for his goal.To big a gap between Mayo and Cullip.I also think it was Mayo who didn't clear the ball for their winner.He is a left back only.Why couldn't Hinshelwood play centre half then Jarrett might have got a start and Currie could have played on the right.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Braders7 said:
woah bit hasty isn't it

1 bad game c'mon be sensible about this

Blimmin' right!!!!

Cullip's been consistently excellent for for us for years. One ropey game does not a Palace defender make.

:clap2:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
oapdodge said:
Watch the goals on tv.He lost Furlong for his goal.To big a gap between Mayo and Cullip.I also think it was Mayo who didn't clear the ball for their winner.He is a left back only.Why couldn't Hinshelwood play centre half then Jarrett might have got a start and Currie could have played on the right.

Yep totally agree with you - thats what I was saying at the satrt ogf the match. Hinsh does OKAY at right midfield he defends well there but has no imagination going forward (yes I know he scored the goal but...). Hinsh should have started at centre back, jarrett or Jones could have played on lthe left and Currie could have played on the right. I think Harding 'needs a rest' and Kerry, who has actually played very well this year (I don't think makes much of a centre back of two - he's better as the left hand centre back of three) should have played at left back.

The other option yesterday was when we went two down and couldn't create a chance for toffee, was to bring Virgs back to centre defence to make a 5 at the back and then we could have left McPhee up on his own. Dare I say it Charlie could have come on for the tiring Hammond in midfield and we could have closed up shop and have got the point.

Virgs might have to play at the back next time if butters doesn't recover as I think as brilliantly as he has done up front - he may now well have been found out.

Aug 21, 2003
birmingham
kinkygerbil said:
if cullip was shit who did i see winning 90% of headers in our half?

thats all he does do! never have i seen him take it down and pass, he is supposed to lead the team when all he does is hoof it aimlessly upfield. we have width in the side for the first time in ages, and all moves should start at the back rather than danny hoofing it up to the smallest player on the pitch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disappointed with Harding today - we looked very weak on the whole of the left side.

Luckily QPR didn't exploit this otherwise the result would have been far worse.

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
I think without Cullip yesterday Furlong would have taken us to the cleaners. The fault was with MM, Hammond should have been taken off, so should Hinshelwood who is defender not a midfield player. He should have brought qn Charlie and Chippy to bolster the midfield and brought on Knight to replace one of the two forwards. How could you replace Nicolas and play 4 - 2 - 4 towards the end. Very confusing and worrying.

To my eyes Cullip needs to have his hernia op sooner rather than later. This year DC has not lived up to the high standards he has set himself over past couple of seasons. The first goal yesterday was very poor, and I don't think Danny would disagree. At the moment Butters is our best defender and we missed him big style yesterday.

Whilst Danny may be noble in carrying on with an injury, if it is impairing his ability to play well he should get it sorted, and quickly.

We should not have lost that game yesterday, but two defensive errors cost us not only one but three valuable points.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
bit drastic wanting to get rid of him but no doubt he wasn't on form yesterday but wasn't the only 1 especially in the second half

BALDISBEAUTIFUL said:
I think without Cullip yesterday Furlong would have taken us to the cleaners. The fault was with MM, Hammond should have been taken off, so should Hinshelwood who is defender not a midfield player. He should have brought qn Charlie and Chippy to bolster the midfield and brought on Knight to replace one of the two forwards. How could you replace Nicolas and play 4 - 2 - 4 towards the end. Very confusing and worrying.

I agree, but there were no simple solutions here. I think McGhee would have been worried about Chippy and Oatway's match fitness.

I personally think McGhee has been over self-critical. The main problem was that QPR played very well in the second half and I'm not convinced McGhee really had much ammunition on the bench to counter that.

He opted to try and last out with the players who did OK in the first half and have played well for 3 games. I'm not sure it was the wrong call given the options he had.

When Chippy came on, he didn't seem to me to be any more effective than Hammond. Maybe the situation was more suited to Oatway's destructive skills but it would have been a huge ask for him to come on with a half of reserve football behind him and match the QPR midfield who were flying at that stage.

I agree with Dunno that once Furlong scored, we should have tightened up rather than played that bizzare attacking shape.

This is not McGhee at all - he usually takes great care over protecting his defence with ball-winners in midfield.

That last 10 minutes was horrible. With no ball-winners on the pitch (except the sluggish Chippy), of course it was inevitable that QPR would keep the ball and our attackers wouldn't get a sniff. It was no great surprise QPR got a winner.

This was far bigger blunder by McGhee than the delay in subbing the tiring midfield.

But I don't think it is a mistake he will ever make again, because it is so out of character with the teams he usually puts out.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How has a wind-up thread got 1000 views?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here