Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to let Duffy go?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Strength in depth is what we need to develop as a PL team. Duffy is an international centre half and our player of the season last year. We need him, a couple on suspensions or injuries and he is the safest of stand ins. Useful goals as well!

Yes White might be the future but he can take Balogun’s place in the squad - another home grown option as well.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
This is fairly obvious tbh. Pretty clear Potter doesn’t fancy him, he’s a great old school CB but not a ball player. Still has plenty of seasons in him so should get good value when we sell.

I do agree that it makes complete sense to have Ben White take his spot in the squad, which would again provide a clear pathway for our young prospects.

Shows how far we’ve come where we’re able to comfortably let a quality player like Duffy go.

*comfortably* let him go? It's an interesting point of view. Probably not a correct one :)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Strength in depth is what we need to develop as a PL team. Duffy is an international centre half and our player of the season last year. We need him, a couple on suspensions or injuries and he is the safest of stand ins. Useful goals as well!

Yes White might be the future but he can take Balogun’s place in the squad - another home grown option as well.

he also offers something the other 3 don't , a strong physical prescence and have to say maupay might need to take some lessons from him about finishing....

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We can argue all day, whether Duffy can adapt to GP new philosophy about playing out from the back.
It will down to SD to show he can adapt.
I think that he can do it, but he'll need to do it quick sharp, as he'll find chances limited.
At the moment there is only competition from Balogun, but as time ticks on, it'll be Ben White.
I think SD will eventually go, but GP will need him until the end of the season, seeing where we end up.
I mean staying up or relegation.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's always easy to bounce these sort of threads when a player puts in a good performance!

Although IMO what the OP said is madness, when you're playing 3 centre backs you're always likely to require at least 5 players who will play a part and Duffy is a very good player.

There's pros and cons to Webster and Duffy, Webster is more comfortable on the ball and a better passer, but Duffy is a better defender, better aerially and is the defender who offers the biggest goal threat in our squad.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's always easy to bounce these sort of threads when a player puts in a good performance!

Although IMO what the OP said is madness, when you're playing 3 centre backs you're always likely to require at least 5 players who will play a part and Duffy is a very good player.

There's pros and cons to Webster and Duffy, Webster is more comfortable on the ball and a better passer, but Duffy is a better defender, better aerially and is the defender who offers the biggest goal threat in our squad.

Quite, its not about the perfornance though, and its hardly unexpected he would be good, it's just the sheer logic of having a top back up in case of injury.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Clearly, to be a top 15 PL side you need strength in depth, i.e. At least 18 proven first team quality players, not only to rotate formations and styles, but to cover injuries and suspensions, which are inevitable. We got lucky in that respect season 17/18.

Duffy is an integral and proven part of that 18. To come off the bench and achieve what he did today was perfect professionalism.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was SO chuffed for Duffy and from the celebrations it looks like the team were too. Fantastic

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Can we stop with these stupid threads and second guessing the careers of players who have been good servants to the club.

Just leave the recruitment and "letting go" of players to the people who know what they are doing and appreciate the service they provide on the pitch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought it was interesting that when he came on he played on the left, with Lewis Dunk taking Webster's position, rather than the right where he usually plays.

I thought that he played more centrally when Dunk moved to Websters position and also that we looked a lot better. although I do not wish injury to any player.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
QUOTE=Harry Wilson's tackle;9123014]We have a recall clause.

I have no patience with BG, but it's humour him or, frankly, kill him and eat him. And I am a humane and kind elderly gentleman. As my record will attest. Ahem.[/QUOTE]

There is a simple answer if you dont agree with something posted just ignore it or is that below you?

I can't believe you asked him, of all people, that question!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is fairly obvious tbh. Pretty clear Potter doesn’t fancy him, he’s a great old school CB but not a ball player. Still has plenty of seasons in him so should get good value when we sell.

I do agree that it makes complete sense to have Ben White take his spot in the squad, which would again provide a clear pathway for our young prospects.

Shows how far we’ve come where we’re able to comfortably let a quality player like Duffy go.

Quite clearly Graham Potter simply doesn’t rate Duffy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here