Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time To Change The Management Team?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
Our essential problem this season boils down to one thing - none of our players can shoot straight. Step forward Dean Hammond (main culprit), Jake Robinson, CKR and others guilty of missing absolute dolly sitters.

And the ones they do get on target (half a dozen a match) are saveable.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think bad finishing is largely to blame for our current position. Apart from Norwich, we have not been conceding a lot of goals. On Saturday, Jake missed an absolute sitter when he was one on one with the Ipswich keeper. Instead of burying it, he shot weakly at the keeper. He also missed a sitter at Palace, and Leon should have scored when he was through. We were rather fortunate that we totally dominated Palace. On top of that, how many chances has Hammond missed?

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I'm sorry to say that my thread is not looking so comical as some of you make out.

Albion's poor showing is matched by your replies. One guy is unable to put a sentence together, and then five sheep follow him. After that some replies take on board the seriousness of the situation.

Let's get the John Gregory suggestion, and posters' obvious ignorance out of the way first. I didn't say that John Gregory should replace Mark McGhee. I posed the question, "Is it time for somebody of his calibre to be considered to replace our current manager?"

It is obvious that most of you only know John Gregory from a reported comment he made after our clever chairman managed to take the piss out of Aston Villa, and some very useful money at the same time. Gregory does not pussyfoot around and typically told it as it was. HE TOLD THE TRUTH!

When the two players the Albion received 'compensation' for, were on our books, the youth set-up was in total disarray. Barry and Standing were treated like all of the youngsters under Jacko and Cyclops' care, and were allowed to leave without any fuss. It was not unusual for the youths and the parents to be treated shabbily.

As an Albion player Gregory gave one hundred per cent every game, and was very much a team player. He was always one of the first to turn up for training and one of the last to leave. He had endless conversations with Mullers about the rudiments of the game and he ate, breathed and slept football. Somehow he managed to find time for some voluntary (unsung) community activities as some non-football fans living in the Ovingdean, Rottingdean and Saltdean districts will remember. These are the attributes he takes with him in to football management.

By leaving Leon Knight back in Brighton (?) Mc Ghee at long last has endeavoured to bring some much-needed discipline to the squad. Leon returned from the close season seemingly a new man, and it showed in his efforts on the pitch. Unfortunately it didn't take long for him to revert to his "I am the man" attitude. We have too small a squad to accommodate an overpaid prima donna, and he should have been slapped down much sooner. He is a bad influence on the young players.

I spoke of my disappointment that the players were given a free day last Sunday. I expected them to train. After the latest defeat I also expect them to train tomorrow, and to be working on many aspects of their play over the next couple of weeks on the training field.

I pose some questions:
Are we as Albion fans content to take our only achievements for the season as "Yes to Falmer" and "Victory over Palace" even if we are relegated?
Are the board content with that?
Is the present management team too comfortable and it does it need changing?

Last edited:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
It seems to me that a lot of the NSC sheep are quite happy with sub standard performances both individually and collectively.
The fact is Magoo has had more money than most if not all of his predecessors and what has he done with it? Bought an Argie that can't get a game and as for the "coke boy". I'm sorry all this 1 for the future rubbish is no good.1 for the future won't keep us up this season.
We're gonna have a 22000 seater stadium in 3 years and if we're not in this league we'll struggle to get the 12000 that DK needs.
I'll wait for the 1st person to slag me off about all this and watch everybody else that can't think for themselves to follow suit.
The fact is that Magoo needs a good kick up the gary and so do a lot of the players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
McGhee has tried to change things around by playing adventurous football this season, I applaud him for that. It may be that it is time to change to a more boring and defensive style to try to stay in this division. You are entitled to think me a sheep, and I to find your short sighted knee jerk reaction to a defeat that, from the commentary, did not sound justified until we went 3-0 down an over reaction. Remember Crew got stuffed 6-1 a couple of weeks ago and have have turned it round. I believe McGhee is the man for the job, and I believe he is doing a good job in difficult circumstances. Yes we've spent a bit of money but we have also lost 3 key players to other clubs. There are no quick fixes and John Gregory is a prize twat who tried to f*** this club over. The guy played for us, I would have expected him to have a bit more class than he showed. His short rise and fall as an egotistical manager is no suprise to me, thank f*** we don't have a twat like him as manager of this club.

Last edited:

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Whoa there Icy. My thread was posted just after the Palace victory. It is not a knee-jerk reaction.

Whilst we are talking bluntly. The only person to " try to f*** a club over" (as you so delicately put it) was Dick Knight. I for one am very pleased he succeeded.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
nobody's dupe said:
Whilst we are talking bluntly. The only person to " try to f*** a club over" (as you so delicately put it) was Dick Knight. I for one am very pleased he succeeded.
Can you elaborate on that ? I've read that sentence three times now and its still not making any sense, so I'm clearly missing something.

E

enigma

nobody's dupe said:
Whoa there Icy. My thread was posted just after the Palace victory. It is not a knee-jerk reaction.

Doughnut.

We have trouble scoring, the strikers are flimsy in front of goal and players seem afraid to have an 'instinctive' dig - opting to tee the ball up allowing defenders get in front of the ball. We don't score, while playing good competitive football, and players are trying hard - so there must be a problem with coaching, somewhere.

Sweeping change isn't necessarily the cure, but it's obvious that something needs to happen - and no man is too old and wise to learn and recognise his mistakes.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
nobody's dupe said:
It is obvious that most of you only know John Gregory from a reported comment he made after our clever chairman managed to take the piss out of Aston Villa, and some very useful money at the same time. Gregory does not pussyfoot around and typically told it as it was. HE TOLD THE TRUTH!

When the two players the Albion received 'compensation' for, were on our books, the youth set-up was in total disarray. Barry and Standing were treated like all of the youngsters under Jacko and Cyclops' care, and were allowed to leave without any fuss. It was not unusual for the youths and the parents to be treated shabbily.

Does this help Easy?

Barry and Standing were not lured to Villa. They were treated badly by the people who represented this club in those days. They left of their own accord and were allowed to leave without a whimper.

A few seasons later after they were successfully doing well in the top division our clever chairman went for the earth, and got it.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
nobody's dupe said:

Whilst we are talking bluntly./B]

John "spiv" Gregory has that effect on me, sorry about that :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
nobody's dupe said:
Does this help Easy?

Barry and Hendrie were not lured to Villa. They were treated badly by the people who represented this club in those days. They left of their own accord and were allowed to leave without a whimper.

A few seasons later after they were successfully doing well in the top division our clever chairman went for the earth, and got it.

I am happy to be proved wrong, but I believe DK went after Villa for compensation as soon as they left. Standing was the one expected to succeed but Barry walked, almost immediately, into the Villa team This was just after DK had taken over at the club, and he is blameless for the previous regime and it certainly wasn't once they were succesful (although Standing never made it and is playing in league 1 now I believe). That is not at all clear from your post???

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
nobody's dupe said:
Does this help Easy?

Barry and Hendrie were not lured to Villa. They were treated badly by the people who represented this club in those days. They left of their own accord and were allowed to leave without a whimper.

Nope. I've still not got a scooby what you're talking about. Sorry, I must be fick.

And wasn't it Barry and Standing ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh hang on, Dick f***ed over VILLA
Sorry, the pennys dropped. Must lay off these wifebeaters.

:shootself

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Easy 10 said:
Nope. I've still not got a scooby what you're talking about. Sorry, I must be fick.

And wasn't it Barry and Standing ?

You're absolutely right Easy. It was Michael Standing.

In my mind's eye I'm seeing Standing, but for some reason I want to call him Hendrie. It could be old age coupled with dementia.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Icy Gull said:
I am happy to be proved wrong, but I believe DK went after Villa for compensation as soon as they left. Standing was the one expected to succeed but Barry walked, almost immediately, into the Villa team This was just after DK had taken over at the club, and he is blameless for the previous regime and it certainly wasn't once they were succesful (although Standing never made it and is playing in league 1 now I believe). That is not at all clear from your post???

I believe that I'm right in saying that Barry made his debut for Villa ten seasons ago. Certainly it was a long time before Dick Knight had anything to do with the running of the Albion. There were at least three seasons in between, maybe four.

I am very happy to agree with you. The man I admire enormously Dick Knight, had nothing to do with, and is blameless for the actions of the previous regime.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hey. we all get confused.
I put a telephone in the fridge this morning.

(don't ask)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here