Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to boycott the world cup in Qatar...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wonder if enough Sky subscribers gave Sky advance notice that they were cancelling their subscription as of November 2022 would it set alarm bells ringing among the money me - who are, after all, the only people wh have any power in this.
Could a campaign to get Sky subscribers, worldwide, to do this actually be possible? It would be a wonderful gesture for humanity if it could.

I'm thinking more about the underlying Sky sponsors that keep the whole shitshow spinning: the Budweisers, the McDonalds, the Qatar Airways...

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Religion has little to do with them getting the world cup, and a topic that should not derail any serious conversation about it.

No I know that's not why they got the WC but it's a reason (for me at least) to have nothing to do with the middle east.

I know this country isn't perfect but you're allowed to be gay here and you're free to say whatever you like without being imprisoned for years.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Countries boycotting the Qatar WC would have a major impact for sure. But, would probably have limited impact. In this social media age the biggest impact would be a concerted campaign against the major commercial sponsors of the thing shirley? These guys are very easily spooked nowadays

Yes the sponsorship is a good point,I will be watching closely to see who is sponsoring and why they are sponsoring an event a country where homosexuals face the death penalty.
Companies are(quite rightly)happy to fly the rainbow flag but if they then go and sponsor an event in this country then they are really showing their true colours and deserve a boycotting too.
That goes for the FA and players too,going to Qatar kind of makes a mockery of the rainbow laces.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
And how many of you have been on holiday to Dubai? Do you think the conditions for those building your luxury hotel etc were much different.
Fact check - very little of UK’s hydrocarbons comes from Middle East. Qatar probably sends us some LNG but has no oil.
Qatar doesn’t always get on with its neighbours due to difference on versions of Islam, so us boycotting Qatar will have little impact on Saudi’s defence purchases

It would be interesting if Israel qualifies and they don’t allow Israeli fans, knock on effect Israel withdraws, USA withdraws etc

I have a friend in Dubai serving 37 years in prison for allegedly bouncing a few cheques. It appears he hasn’t even had a fair trial. I wouldn’t go anywhere near the Middle East corrupt nations all of em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The current England team won't qualify so problem solved.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

San Marino and Albania, should give a team containing Grealish, Sterling and Kane a stern test ... yes, I think you might be right

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
OK, more threatened boycotts needed. Though I'd find it difficult to boycott the Wanda group, never having heard of them!

Chinese property developer

Atlético Madrid is to have the new stadium named Wanda Metropolitano. WC sponsor till 2030

Hilltop

Banned
Mar 20, 2021
No way am I watching this tournament. I don't want to take any pleasure from the expense of 6,500 lives, and more to come, lost through slavery and corruption. It's disgusting what's going on over there. Probably the most shameful thing ever to be associated with our game and it needs to be stopped.

This would be a Fans United Spectacular if we could get some sort of mass boycott on the go.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The exploitation of Indians and phillipines people has been allowed to go on for far to long in the Arab states.
The world cup in Qatar is the peak of this modern slavery over there and to see so many poor people risking their lives simply to feed their families or not returning home to their families because they have died just so the rich can get richer and the planets football fans can sit on their arses in front of their TVs getting fat on takeaways and beer is a
Disgrace.
I will be boycotting it and the FA should too.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With 6,500 migrant workers sadly losing their lives in Qatar ever since World Cup was criminally awarded.
Sepp Blatter has had his ban in football extended a further six years, cementing the accusations of the world cup being fraudulently being awarded to Qatar.
During this pandemic work has continued in Qatar getting ready for the world cup, putting the lives of desperate migrant workers lives further at risk.
Surely the footballing world, fans, clubs, countries, governments should stand united and say....

No we will not send a team.
No we will not travel as fans.
No we will not watch on tv.
No we will not advertise.
No we will not be part of this murderous event held in the name of people of the world.

It is disgusting in this day and age, so many are turning a blind eye.

I for one will not watch it, will you ?
What can be done ?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...37 deaths,by the event's organising committee.

Unfortunately as we've seen on TV this week, you're dealing with the FA, an organisation who turned a blind eye to widespread child abuse in football in this country.

Never mind sport, commercially the FA cannot even think about any kind of boycott, which is obscene in itself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain'

bkgD1A.gif

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Much as I would love to see a boycott, all the time the Middle East is pumping oil they have the rest of the world over a barrel.

Times will change as the reliance on oil diminishes but we are not there yet.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No way am I watching this tournament. I don't want to take any pleasure from the expense of 6,500 lives, and more to come, lost through slavery and corruption. It's disgusting what's going on over there. Probably the most shameful thing ever to be associated with our game and it needs to be stopped.

This would be a Fans United Spectacular if we could get some sort of mass boycott on the go.

Out of interest, did you watch any of the world cup when it was in Argentina or Russia or maybe you watched the Olympics in Beijing?

Not going to condone anything the Qataris are doing or have done but the same moral outrage should have applied to the above as well. Fair play to you though if you did boycott those other events.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Unfortunately as we've seen on TV this week, you're dealing with the FA, an organisation who turned a blind eye to widespread child abuse in football in this country.

Never mind sport, commercially the FA cannot even think about any kind of boycott, which is obscene in itself.

You have a valid point, considering there are now reports that the other two contenders for the new PFA role have objected to an unfair process that sees Maheta Molango the front runner.....

hmmm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here