Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Time to boycott the world cup in Qatar...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
With 6,500 migrant workers sadly losing their lives in Qatar ever since World Cup was criminally awarded.
Sepp Blatter has had his ban in football extended a further six years, cementing the accusations of the world cup being fraudulently being awarded to Qatar.
During this pandemic work has continued in Qatar getting ready for the world cup, putting the lives of desperate migrant workers lives further at risk.
Surely the footballing world, fans, clubs, countries, governments should stand united and say....

No we will not send a team.
No we will not travel as fans.
No we will not watch on tv.
No we will not advertise.
No we will not be part of this murderous event held in the name of people of the world.

It is disgusting in this day and age, so many are turning a blind eye.

I for one will not watch it, will you ?
What can be done ?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...37 deaths,by the event's organising committee.

It's shocking to think how many lives were lost to let us all watch a football match!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I will probably watch it just like I watched the Russia one and just like I'll watch the one in US.

Human rights is a paper tiger. Its a cute concept states and organisations are waving around, but when it really matters it doesnt really matter.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
When did we become the overlords of the world and tell people how to behave and what laws they should follow?

Simple answer, Nuremberg post defeat of the third reich.

While the world moves on, lessons of history shouldn’t be forgotten. Berlin 1936 was I think a well run Olympics but showed anyone that cared to pay attention the disgusting reality of fascism.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Countries boycotting the Qatar WC would have a major impact for sure. But, would probably have limited impact. In this social media age the biggest impact would be a concerted campaign against the major commercial sponsors of the thing shirley? These guys are very easily spooked nowadays
I wonder if enough Sky subscribers gave Sky advance notice that they were cancelling their subscription as of November 2022 would it set alarm bells ringing among the money me - who are, after all, the only people wh have any power in this.
Could a campaign to get Sky subscribers, worldwide, to do this actually be possible? It would be a wonderful gesture for humanity if it could.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
And how many of you have been on holiday to Dubai? Do you think the conditions for those building your luxury hotel etc were much different.
Fact check - very little of UK’s hydrocarbons comes from Middle East. Qatar probably sends us some LNG but has no oil.
Qatar doesn’t always get on with its neighbours due to difference on versions of Islam, so us boycotting Qatar will have little impact on Saudi’s defence purchases

It would be interesting if Israel qualifies and they don’t allow Israeli fans, knock on effect Israel withdraws, USA withdraws etc

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This just demonsttrates that the game of football has not a shred of integrity left. If it did, the World Cup would never have been awarded to Qatar.

A corrupt organisation awarding the biggest football tournament in the world to a corrupt country.

Quelle surprise

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
With 6,500 migrant workers sadly losing their lives in Qatar ever since World Cup was criminally awarded.
Sepp Blatter has had his ban in football extended a further six years, cementing the accusations of the world cup being fraudulently being awarded to Qatar.
During this pandemic work has continued in Qatar getting ready for the world cup, putting the lives of desperate migrant workers lives further at risk.
Surely the footballing world, fans, clubs, countries, governments should stand united and say....

No we will not send a team.
No we will not travel as fans.
No we will not watch on tv.
No we will not advertise.
No we will not be part of this murderous event held in the name of people of the world.

It is disgusting in this day and age, so many are turning a blind eye.

I for one will not watch it, will you ?
What can be done ?

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...37 deaths,by the event's organising committee.

Completely agree. I have no interest in this tournament whatsoever

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if enough Sky subscribers gave Sky advance notice that they were cancelling their subscription as of November 2022 would it set alarm bells ringing among the money me - who are, after all, the only people wh have any power in this.
Could a campaign to get Sky subscribers, worldwide, to do this actually be possible? It would be a wonderful gesture for humanity if it could.

Sponsors include Adidas, Coca-Cola, Wanda Group, Hyundai, Qatar Airways, Visa, Budweiser, McDonald's and Vivo.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
The World Cup has historically been an event I’ve greatly looked forward to. I suspect I will end up watching some matches, but have already determined that I won’t be taking time off to watch matches, won’t buy products sponsoring this World Cup, and there will be no additional spending on my part related to it.

Have to agree with the sentiments expressed by the OP, but am not sure I can boycott it entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
They have opened a debate in Norway about a boycott:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...human-rights-stand-before-world-cup-qualifier

As much as I love watching England in a World Cup, I think if the FA were to take a stand and not go, I'd support that.

It was a pleasant surprise to read in the news recently here that top clubs and international players in other countries have already sat down and talked about a boycott of the tournament. My instant reaction was that if I was Norwegian (I partly am I suppose) I would be immensely proud if my country took a stand.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Apparently the Scottish FA have stated categorically that their national team will not be playing at the 2022 World Cup Finals.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There would also be a lot of British construction companies and associated consultants working on the World Cup projects. I am sure that their safety standards and employment standards would be above reproach, but it is still work being carried out for the Qatari authorities. They could take a stand once they found out about what was happening in other areas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here