Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Gay Football Players to Come Out?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I've got nothing against them coming out, or homosexuality in general, but why do they need to come out at all? Surely the sexuality of any footballer is no one's business but their own?

Just don't see why being straight or gay matters enough to mention it :shrug:

Completely agree with this and was going to say much the same. Who cares who footballers sleep with?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Difficult one this. I'm not convinced that outing has any tangible effect on homophobia. If you're stupid/mixed-up enough to be homophobic in the first place, seeing a gay footballer declare his sexuality openely isn't going to suddenly change your attitude or behaviour. The whole role model thing is blown way out of proportion imho. It certainly wouldn't decrease homophobic chanting etc at games, it is more likely to increase it due to their being more targets for victimisation. What will continue to change things is peer pressure. We'll never get the point where everybody just shrugs their shoulders when they find out someone is gay, but the more people that do the better, and the knock-on effect will continue. The fact that anyone feels compelled to air their sexual orientation in public is systematic of a tacit acceptance of homophobia in the first place, otherwise why is it anyone else's business?

Disagree- I think you have to realise that a lot of "homophobic" males are exhibiting their reaction to being challenged, maybe in their past when they were not as physically pwerful to combat what can be an extremely threatening posture by miklitant homosexuals. If (let's say) a homosexual player tried to wind up an opponent by whispering "sweet nothings" in his ear, or say climbed on his back as they went up for a header, I wonder what reaction would be tolerated.

Dio homosexual players get erections on the field of play? How would contact in a senstive area between a heterosexual player and a homosexual in a state of excitement be received? Then there's the question of post-goal celebrations..

It's no good talking in the abstract about homosexuality, it is a physical act, not a mental abstraction. Football is a very physical game, and behaviour which upsets other players is not able just to be left to psychoanalists and gay apologists.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Disagree- I think you have to realise that a lot of "homophobic" males are exhibiting their reaction to being challenged, maybe in their past when they were not as physically pwerful to combat what can be an extremely threatening posture by miklitant homosexuals. If (let's say) a homosexual player tried to wind up an opponent by whispering "sweet nothings" in his ear, or say climbed on his back as they went up for a header, I wonder what reaction would be tolerated.

Dio homosexual players get erections on the field of play? How would contact in a senstive area between a heterosexual player and a homosexual in a state of excitement be received? Then there's the question of post-goal celebrations..

It's no good talking in the abstract about homosexuality, it is a physical act, not a mental abstraction. Football is a very physical game, and behaviour which upsets other players is not able just to be left to psychoanalists and gay apologists.

That is without doubt the strangest post I've ever read on here. Good work chap.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

That has got to be the biggest load of crap I have read in my time here.

Also, what in this context is a 'psychoanalist'?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Not bothered by a players sexuality either way tbh. However, I would imagine that the next big name player to "come out" is likely to have already hung up his boots before any big name current player opens up to the media. It's bound to happen sooner or later though.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Can you introduce me to them. I will say I play for Brentford or something (they wont know I dont)

This approach works, as my brother can testify to following him and his mates pretending to be Carlisle players in Tenerife.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
That has got to be the biggest load of crap I have read in my time here.

Also, what in this context is a 'psychoanalist'?

"We are on the 90 minute mark and neither side has managed to break the deadlock. But here comes Buckley, past one, past two, the cross comes in and CMS is there to knock it in the back of the net......with his massive erection."

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A fairly large percentage of the public love the gossip of a famous person in a couple with someone. They'll make an assessment of the rightness for each other and on occasion greater success is gained by being attached to someone famous and a partner lucks out. There should absolutely no difference whether a player is gay and in a couple or straight and that, but at the moment there is no way out, it seems, of having to hide yourself away. Think of all the effort put into concealing and fearing a revelation so likely criticised and ridiculed. It must be bloody exhausting. Most of society has at least begun to overcome any archaic fears and discomforts of anyone's homosexuality, so really football should get rid of its determination to belittle or class as sinful anyone for being gay. The first couple of players who come out will ideally be followed by others, and then no news story will in the slightest come from it.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Personally, I've never seen football as a sexual act. Are any players thinking about sex while they're on the pitch? Doubt it.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

You're weird.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Personally, I've never seen football as a sexual act. Are any players thinking about sex while they're on the pitch? Doubt it.

Of course 'normal' hetrosexual players never do, but those sadistic militant gay chaps do for pretty much the whole game. If they started coming out in their droves it would inevitibly lead to mass buggering of poor defenceless recently-promoted pretty development squad players during goal celebrations. I'm with Danny-Boy now I think of it. It's just WAY TOO RISKY.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I've got nothing against them coming out, or homosexuality in general, but why do they need to come out at all? Surely the sexuality of any footballer is no one's business but their own?

Just don't see why being straight or gay matters enough to mention it :shrug:

As a gay man I support this post 100%. But folk, however well disposed, must have something to gossip about. There are gay footballers, and the media know who some of them are, they just can't 'out' them anymore as it is frowed upon-even by many of the salivating tabloid devotees.

However, I also agree with Dougal, some footballers will feel that it is not worth the hastle as there will be people who want to make an issue of it.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

That's so funny. I love your sarcastic, subtle send up. Great wit... Hold on.... I have got this right haven't I ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Admit it, you got a hard on watching Deliverance didn't you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that's a matter for Joey Barton to decide, and not NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here