Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for Gay Football Players to Come Out?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
The first (few) will have to be quite mentally strong as the vocal idiot-minority will no doubt cause a lot of abuse to go their way. I do hope it happens soon though - there have (statistically) to be some, and they shouldn't have to hide in this day and age.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've got nothing against them coming out, or homosexuality in general, but why do they need to come out at all? Surely the sexuality of any footballer is no one's business but their own?

Just don't see why being straight or gay matters enough to mention it :shrug:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This isn't just a football issue - Gareth Thomas was in semi-retirement before he came out. Although Nigel Owens, the Welsh Rugby Union ref is openly gay.

Nevertheless, I think Matt Jarvis is right. [MENTION=19028]zeetha[/MENTION] talks sense too - the first person to come out will have to be very mentally strong.

[edit] - Joey Barton (of all people) has spoken a lot of sense on this subject in the past.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
I don't care what their sexual preferences are, if CMS wanted to hang out the back of a pony, I wouldn't give a monkeys so long as he was doing the business on the pitch. IMO it's a "taboo" that's just not there, why should anyone give a shit whether player x is gay, straight or indifferent?? The only thing I care about is the quality of their play.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Difficult one this. I'm not convinced that outing has any tangible effect on homophobia. If you're stupid/mixed-up enough to be homophobic in the first place, seeing a gay footballer declare his sexuality openely isn't going to suddenly change your attitude or behaviour. The whole role model thing is blown way out of proportion imho. It certainly wouldn't decrease homophobic chanting etc at games, it is more likely to increase it due to their being more targets for victimisation. What will continue to change things is peer pressure. We'll never get the point where everybody just shrugs their shoulders when they find out someone is gay, but the more people that do the better, and the knock-on effect will continue. The fact that anyone feels compelled to air their sexual orientation in public is systematic of a tacit acceptance of homophobia in the first place, otherwise why is it anyone else's business?

Jan 30, 2008
I don't care what their sexual preferences are, if CMS wanted to hang out the back of a pony, I wouldn't give a monkeys so long as he was doing the business on the pitch. IMO it's a "taboo" that's just not there, why should anyone give a shit whether player x is gay, straight or indifferent?? The only thing I care about is the quality of their play.

YOU'LL FIND THAT OUT WHEN cms is HANGING OUT THE BACK OF YOUR PONY :wink:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If there is a gay footballer and they are thick skinned then they could certainly make a lot of money out of being the first out the closet

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Assuming there are gay footballers out there do you think they will walk off the pitch if they get homophobic abuse?

If so will this prevent us signing one in the next 10 years?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not a good idea, considering how long it is taking football to overcome racism. A player coming out would forever be in the tabloids and the amount of homophobic abuse he'd get both on and off the pitch would be unmanageable.

Papers could have some marvelous pun headlines though

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I've got nothing against them coming out, or homosexuality in general, but why do they need to come out at all? Surely the sexuality of any footballer is no one's business but their own?

I agree with you entirely. Unfortunately, I also believe a minority will make something bad out of it.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Agree - its irrelevant. If a player chooses to 'come out' and they receive abuse, then it should be condemned with the same fervor as racial abuse. However, whether they should or should not come out is entirely irrelevant to football - its a matter for the individual.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Indeed at the moment they are known as a "footballer" if they come out then its "gay footballer" and thats not what its about. People shouldnt be defined by their sexuality.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Surely the only thing that matters about footballers is how well they play football.

Gay, straight, ACDC, who cares.

Come out if you wanna. Dont if you dont. Just play well and the crowd will still love you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i find it counter-productive that we insist players come out, assuming there are gay players.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is it with people requiring confirmation of someone's sexuality.

Generally, especially here in Brighton most people are at ease with homosexuality, so I cannot think of any reason why this might progress the issue, if one actually exists.

Why should a footballer be defined by his sexuality anyway ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here