Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a good 'PC gone mad' thread

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, yes, I know the term PC is only used by the terminally ignorant ect etc yawn.

But in the wake of the 'Cop-out' Muslim policeman tale today, here's another one.

At my wife's work (banqueting venue) there is a Muslim waiter. It's Ramadan, so he's fasting, can't eat until 7pm which unfortunately is their busiest time, so the guy is famished and knackered by the time he gets to eat. Not ideal, but it's the same throughout the Muslim world. There are far more car crashes during Ramadan because concentration wanders due to lack of food and drink.

So far, so good (sort of). But this guy is a waiter. And during Ramadan, he is refusing even to touch wine bottles. His job, primarily, is to take full bottles to tables, and then take them away again afterwards. He is currently being used standing in a corner polishing cutlery, no one dares take him on over fears of what the race relations lobby might say.

How can you be a waiter and refuse to touch bottles?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm guessing that it would be quite easy to reasign him to another job during ramadan, rather than get worked up in a daily mail stylee. Perhaps he could be in charge of ham salads?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Why dont they just SACK him ?

:jester:

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
get him to carve the ham

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
racist

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think I might convert to Islam and refuse to touch the kettle. Then I wont have to make the tea at work for a bit.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Commander said:
I think I might convert to Islam and refuse to touch the kettle. Then I wont have to make the tea at work for a bit.

:lolol: :lolol:

Well in that case I'm declaring myself a Muslim and refusing to do any written essays.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Voroshilov said:
I'm guessing that it would be quite easy to reasign him to another job during ramadan, rather than get worked up in a daily mail stylee. Perhaps he could be in charge of ham salads?

I agree with your sentiments here, though not about the ham salads.

Also, re the Muslim cop with a Lebanese wife, who was asked to guard the Israeli embassy in London while the bombing was going on, that is a no brainer to me, the Met are stupid, how difficult would it be to move him to other duties.

Would you expect a cop to work on a case where his own family had had a crime committed against them if he didn't want to, or if his actions might be coloured by the case?

Like you said, it just fuels the Daily Mail and others, when common sense should prevail.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Superphil said:

Would you expect a cop to work on a case where his own family had had a crime committed against them if he didn't want to, or if his actions might be coloured by the case?

That's a very good point - but I don't think it applies in this policeman case. My gut reaction is that your analogy is a personalised situation (ie one family), whereas the Lebanon one is not. Therefore the guy should just do his job in a professional manner. Otherwise it's the thin end of the wedge, and you'd have a precedent for people crying off all sorts.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps Tooting, but his wifes home country was being bombed to oblivion by the Israelis, I think this justifies his request to be moved to other duties during this time.

Ian Blair loves a good investigation into his own force, and loves the publicity, Blair by name, Blair by nature ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Superphil said:
Perhaps Tooting, but his wifes home country was being bombed to oblivion by the Israelis, I think this justifies his request to be moved to other duties during this time. It doesn't need to be publicised, just do it and move on. The Met make a rod for thier own back a lot of the time.

Ian Blair loves a good investigation into his own force, and loves the publicity, Blair by name, Blair by nature ?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think having a muslim guard the Israeli embassy was a bit provocative for both parties.

Being a waiter does seem to be an odd career choice in the current circumstance!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Superphil said:
Perhaps Tooting, but his wifes home country was being bombed to oblivion by the Israelis, I think this justifies his request to be moved to other duties during this time.

Can you imagine if the Israeli embassy had asked for the guy to be moved? Could an Israeli tutor refuse to teach a Muslim student based on the experience of his family in Israel and suicide bombers?

Part of their attestation revolves around service before self - no justification for not doing the job that he is paid for, it just plays into the hands of the "PC gone mad" brigade. And the Supt Head of the Muslim Police group says that this sort of request is neither common, nor acceptable.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Time for a good 'PC gone mad' thread

Muzzman said:
Turn it off and on again.

I must admit, I was expecting a crap PC pun about the policeman story. But you've blindsided me with the computer angle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here