Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ticket Prices - The club were right, we were wrong

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They cut the prices, and still hardly anyone turned up. Attendance today was virtually the same as for the Wycombe game I think.

Wouldn't blame them if they kept the prices at the normal level in a similar situation next time.

Well maybe they just need to keep cutting. 10 quid and kids for a quid.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They cut the prices, and still hardly anyone turned up. Attendance today was virtually the same as for the Wycombe game I think.

Wouldn't blame them if they kept the prices at the normal level in a similar situation next time.

Why exactly were 'We' wrong?

No way was 1st round of the cup worth 24 quid. Just ridiculous. Should have been priced same as today. OK, so the club made a little bit of revenue out of that 1st round game off the backs of the coalition of the willing. So well done there then.The accountants must be very proud. But worrying the club felt they had to charge it in the first place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I haven't seen Barcelona play today but I still know they're bloody good. Which is how I know we're shit.

I've seen more than enough games this season (and last) to know exactly what today was like because, quite simply, it's happened dozens of times before. It's about time we had a manager who won't put up with it any longer.

So you won't be having tea and cakes with Gus tomorrow afternoon then.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nor have they pointed out the poor run of form leading into a game in which our the goal keeper is a guy who had conceded 24 in 7 games.

It's about perspective. If the tickets had been £22 the attendance v non-league opposition would have dropped. £17 against a team in the same division, and the attendance would have risen.

But, it isn't simply price, as this thread is showing. Whether someone goes depends on multiple things:

Price, form, weather, opposition, chances of a win, other factors (such as first home game of a new manager), etc.

The low attendance at this game doesn't show that the club was right to only discount a couple of quid v wycombe. The fact we got the same(ish) number of fans for non-league opponents in the rain, on the back of a couple of big losses, with smith in goal as we did for league one opponents isn't proof they were wrong

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why exactly were 'We' wrong?

No way was 1st round of the cup worth 24 quid. Just ridiculous. Should have been priced same as today. OK, so the club made a little bit of revenue out of that 1st round game off the backs of the coalition of the willing. So well done there then.The accountants must be very proud. But worrying the club felt they had to charge it in the first place.

Lots of us, ME included said that if they cut the prices we would get more people to go than went to Wycombe match. The attendances were virtaully identical, therefore factually we, including me, were wrong.

That's not to say it isn't the right thing to do though. Disapointing to see so few in the family stand though. I guess the rainy season killed that.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Differences between Today and vs Wycombe

1) Wycombe was our first home game in a while, this was our third in a fortnight (with Charlton on Tuesday)

2) Wycombe was Poyet's first game

3) Wycombe included a free t-shirt

4) Wycombe are League 1 opposition, not conference

5) The first game against Wycombe was 4-4 - an attractive proposition

6) We were coming off the back of an unbelievably good performance at Southampton in front of the TV cameras.

I wouldn't have been there at £20+ today, and I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We were going to go yesterday as the prices were reasonable. However being literally 'fairweather fans' the weather forecast put us off. I'm sorry, I know some people say that the likes of us will always look for excuses not to go but that simply isn't true. We've been soaked to the skin at Withdean too many times in the past to enjoy going through the experience again to watch a not-very-inspiring Albion side play (and struggle against) a good Conference side.

However IF we get Man U then yes, I'll queue for tickets and I won't give a toss about the weather. I'd also be happy to pay £30 but the laws of Supply and Demand don't seem to apply to football and I know (and accept) that many fans would be upset at paying a premium.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought today's attendance was shocking. Okay it rained, but that's life. Shocking turnout from Rushden as well for what I assume is their biggest game of the season?

At brighton? I give credit to anyone who turns up at our away end, they brought a decent amount and made some decent noise and were rewarded with a decent game (from their point of view)

Last edited:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I didn't mean my post to read as I DON'T think Gus is the tough man we need. He might be. We'll see in January. And until then I'm not going to blame him if we lose every single match because it's not his fault he's working with deadwood. But if he's not a tough manager ready to wield the axe then I genuinely think our league one days are numbered.

As much that I think most of your posts are ill-informed, over-opinionated bollocks, in this case you have - just about - got it right.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
i prob would of payed full whack if there had not been a price reduction , but it was interesting to see the amount of moaning fannies who posted on yesterdays matchday thread that complained at the wycombe price , got what they asked for and still didnt bother going with the price reduced, cant please some folk i guess

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fact of the matter is that the club could charge a fiver to get in and there would still be the whingers on here coming up with any excuse under the sun (or cloud) not to go but they still like voice their twopennies worth about how the team are playing. What a dumb comment to say that we're a shit team just because someone knows Barcelona are a good team. When, in the history of the Albion have they been better than Barcelona but crowds have been higher in the past.

And all these people whinging yet again fail to realise that any price reductions have to be agreed with the opposition. Still, in one ear and out the other.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I've seen more than enough games this season (and last) to know exactly what today was like because, quite simply, it's happened dozens of times before. It's about time we had a manager who won't put up with it any longer.

Agree

I was talking to a STH yesterday in the North Stand who'd been to every game played at Withdean and we both said the standard of football for the past 2-3 years had deteriorated. All we got yesterday was the defence panicking on the ball and hoofing aimlessly forward, missing out the midfield...

Against Wycombe in the replay, I felt optimistic, because we were building from the back and going through the midfield and played some nice stuff at times. Against Leeds, we tried the same thing but were outclassed all over the park...

Yesterday it was back to same old same old :(

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We were going to go yesterday as the prices were reasonable. However being literally 'fairweather fans' the weather forecast put us off. I'm sorry, I know some people say that the likes of us will always look for excuses not to go but that simply isn't true. We've been soaked to the skin at Withdean too many times in the past to enjoy going through the experience again to watch a not-very-inspiring Albion side play (and struggle against) a good Conference side.

However IF we get Man U then yes, I'll queue for tickets and I won't give a toss about the weather. I'd also be happy to pay £30 but the laws of Supply and Demand don't seem to apply to football and I know (and accept) that many fans would be upset at paying a premium.

there were lots of empty (and dry) seats in the £2 dearer North Stand yesterday - not sure if the club advertised this

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe if Stockport prevail in the 2nd round they will make it a tenner for adults and kids for a quid to boost the gate at Edgeley Park.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
there were lots of empty (and dry) seats in the £2 dearer North Stand yesterday - not sure if the club advertised this

I paid the extra, as I normally do in heavily discounted games, and reaped the benefit in the end. Also, you get a different perspective sitting lower down :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here