Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three places in Brighton & Hove rated 0 out of 5 for food hygiene...

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Probably old news, but found a website that tells you food hygiene ratings for everywhere (pubs, restaurants, takeaways, sandwich shops, etc etc). There are only three places in Brighton & Hove that score zero out of five (by contrast 1,372 places score 5 out of 5). The places with this zero 'honour' are Wing Hing in Hollingbury, Tiffany's in North Road and Sing Li chippie by the station. Many of my mates love Sing Li. Their reaction when I told them of its zero rating: "I doubt anywhere could make chips that good WITHOUT a zero rating." Some big name places amongst the 114 places that only score 1 out of 5 (the Dome venue, BBQ Shack at World's End, Mesmerist, Marwood, etc). You can search several ways (eg via local council and rating) here: Food Standards Agency - Search for food hygiene ratings

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I eat in Tiffany's in North street before pretty much every home game, never been ill or had any issues. Bit worrying though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sing Li? Nooo. Loved that place when I lived on the Buckingham Rd. Still, hardly surprises!

"Yoo won saltyfinger?" Would Sir like salt and vinegar?

"Opera rap?" Shall I leave this open for you to enjoy now or perhaps wrapped so they stay warm for your journey?

Never had an issue with the place though or Tiffany's. One place I have an issue withg is that Marlowes place, yes all very Withnail but it really is a shithole and full of tossers. Ghastly place.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Sing Li chips are extraordinarily odd. Dunno how many times they re-use the fat to fry those things, but it must be in the triple figures. A reliably queasy experience. Love the decor and the classic Chinese chippie nature of the place though

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Should be law that every restaurant has it on their front door. I see no reason not to have that law in place?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sing Li chips are extraordinarily odd. Dunno how many times they re-use the fat to fry those things, but it must be in the triple figures. A reliably queasy experience. Love the decor and the classic Chinese chippie nature of the place though

Have you seen the state of the bloke himself, Mr Sing Li I presume? Sometimes you see him hobbling along at speed in the outside world, christ that man has collect some stains on his trousers through the years.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sing Li's huge portains of chips! Love them. in fact after the next home game I will be getting my dinner from this fine establishment.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I recall the Argus reporting that Sobs on the Dials was shut down as they had no hot water among other infractions, they installed a kettle and were allowed to re-open so don't put too much stock in Food Hygiene Inspectors! I used to get pizzas and burgers from there when I was a massive boozer and lived on Vernon Terrace. I have a memory of heartburn a lot at that time but hardly surprising.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
RFC by the Steine has a five star rating... Wonders never cease

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Had food from Wing Hing a few times, not for over a year now, last two times my wife was sick after eating chicken curry from there. Won't be going back!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Ahh. Good old Sing Li!

"Sore finger you want?"

Went there for a battered sausage & chips after the match on Saturday. Never had any ill affects, but might think twice in future!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Casual racism aside, I love Sing Li too! :lolol:

I honestly couldn't care less that they store their chips on the floor, or that their fish is kept for years in the big freezer in the garden.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm reliably informed that you can get a very low rating for just incorrectly filling in paper work. No surprise re sing lees. Surprised at Murasaki getting 1/2 stars though.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Hygiene is overrated. Very occasionally eating exceptionally unhygienic grub will give you food poisoning, but chances are the more you're exposed to the nasty bacteria's such as salmonella etc the better chance your immune system has in the future & you probably won't get ill at all.

Cockroach particles and the occasional trace of faeces isn't going to do anyone any harm (as long as you don't know about it)

Really !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here