Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three places in Brighton & Hove rated 0 out of 5 for food hygiene...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hygiene is overrated. Very occasionally eating exceptionally unhygienic grub will give you food poisoning, but chances are the more you're exposed to the nasty bacteria's such as salmonella etc the better chance your immune system has in the future & you probably won't get ill at all.

Cockroach particles and the occasional trace of faeces isn't going to do anyone any harm (as long as you don't know about it)
:sick:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Could it be from your user name that, in fact, all the information in the report has been actually gleaned by your goodself visiting all the establishments? Just asking like!

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Hygiene is overrated. Very occasionally eating exceptionally unhygienic grub will give you food poisoning, but chances are the more you're exposed to the nasty bacteria's such as salmonella etc the better chance your immune system has in the future & you probably won't get ill at all.

Cockroach particles and the occasional trace of faeces isn't going to do anyone any harm (as long as you don't know about it)
Please don't ever open a restaurant :)

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Never mind the rights and wrongs of the hygiene ratings. It tells me something about the people too. Are they prepared to care enough and make the effort to obtain the top mark. Anything less could be construed as a bit sloppy in the things they do and their general outlook. I will only go to 5 stars now thank you.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
BEEN eating in SING Li for 30 years AND there is NOTHING wrong with me

I noticed the other day that the Cliftonville earned 5 stars and they are proud of it with a large sandwich board outside advertising the fact. Your full English is in safe and hygienic hands

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The chinese chip shop on upper lewes road that i used to frequent some 20 years or so ago had the ratio of one moustache hair in every ten packets of chips. Of course, the average chinese moustache must have about 22 hairs in total, so where these little thick follicles came from i couldn't be sure.
I think wherever one moves one'll find their local chipshop for times of emergency or when no one's looking. Tis a dark, squirmy secret mostly and i doubt many tell their partners exactly what they've ordered and eaten.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Food Standards Agency - Frequently asked questions about food hygiene ratings

A food safety officer inspects a business to check that it meets the requirements of food hygiene law. The officer is from the local authority where the business is located.

At the inspection, the officer will check:

• how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
  • the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
  • how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe

The hygiene standards found at the time of inspection are then rated on a scale. At the bottom of the scale is ‘0’ – this means urgent improvement is required. At the top of the scale is ‘5’ – this means the hygiene standards are very good.

The rating given shows how well the business does overall. The business may do better in some areas and less well in others and the rating takes this into account. This includes those areas that need improving the most.

The officer will explain to the person who owns or manages the business what improvements need to be made and what action they can take to improve their hygiene rating.​

Worked in a couple of locations, where staff and policies were the same in both, the only difference was the quality of paperwork - one place got 5 the other got 3.

The food storage thing would include things like labels - sometimes when one person works in the kitchen they tend to treat it like their space and sometimes think labels aren't necessary if, for instance, something is prepared one day to be used the next. Another aspect is constantly changing guidelines. Over the course of fives years, whether eggs should be refrigerated or not changed about 5 times.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went into Sing Li today and as I was the only person in there, I asked them about it. They said they have a sticker for the window. :lolol: I begged them to dispaly it proudly, but it was lost in translation.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I went into Sing Li today and as I was the only person in there, I asked them about it. They said they have a sticker for the window. :lolol: I begged them to dispaly it proudly, but it was lost in translation.

Every NSCer who goes in there should ask them to display. All the folk I know who get food from there say they will go there MORE now they know it has a zero. I personally would love the chutzpah of somewhere putting a zero sticker in the window. All the 5 rated places and many of the 4s do, yet zeroes are WAY rarer.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Every NSCer who goes in there should ask them to display. All the folk I know who get food from there say they will go there MORE now they know it has a zero. I personally would love the chutzpah of somewhere putting a zero sticker in the window. All the 5 rated places and many of the 4s do, yet zeroes are WAY rarer.

I'd like to support this campaign! I am more likely to go there now, they have become legends in my eyes.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I'd like to support this campaign! I am more likely to go there now, they have become legends in my eyes.

This MUST happen. If Mr Li (or whatever the lovely if quite mad owner guy's name is) has genuinely been given a 0 out of 5 sticker there has to be a campaign for it to be up in the window. Like I said in the OP my mates who eat there love the place even more since I told them it was zero-ed. Elsewhere an FB lady mate who is a writer of bestselling books on child-rearing says she will get more food for her kids there now it's zero rated! The campaign to window that sticker starts NOW.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Essentially, anyone who uses and likes Sing Li on here, next time you go in mention you heard it got 0 out of 5 and you don't know why they don't advertise that fact. Better still, people who have never been there before go in and say you have sought it out because you heard it has 0 out of 5. I love Sing Li (the chippy not the slightly odd man) and will love it way more if it had a 0 out of 5 hygiene certificate stuck in the window/door/inside...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Food Standards Agency - Frequently asked questions about food hygiene ratings

A food safety officer inspects a business to check that it meets the requirements of food hygiene law. The officer is from the local authority where the business is located.

At the inspection, the officer will check:

• how hygienically the food is handled – how it is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored
  • the condition of the structure of the buildings – the cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
  • how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe

The hygiene standards found at the time of inspection are then rated on a scale. At the bottom of the scale is ‘0’ – this means urgent improvement is required. At the top of the scale is ‘5’ – this means the hygiene standards are very good.

The rating given shows how well the business does overall. The business may do better in some areas and less well in others and the rating takes this into account. This includes those areas that need improving the most.

The officer will explain to the person who owns or manages the business what improvements need to be made and what action they can take to improve their hygiene rating.​

Worked in a couple of locations, where staff and policies were the same in both, the only difference was the quality of paperwork - one place got 5 the other got 3.

The food storage thing would include things like labels - sometimes when one person works in the kitchen they tend to treat it like their space and sometimes think labels aren't necessary if, for instance, something is prepared one day to be used the next. Another aspect is constantly changing guidelines. Over the course of fives years, whether eggs should be refrigerated or not changed about 5 times.

this is the correct answer
the paperwork involved in working with food is ridiculous

common sense seems to leave the building and it seems the paperwork is more and more about litigation or the possibility of it.

the guidelines change all the time,usually due to the fact the FSA will come up with some bollocks because they have nothing better to do,dont get me wrong we should all expect to be served food from a hygienic kitchen but there are regulations and there is bullshit added paperwork because we can control you and i am Hitlers cousin with a clipboard.

something like that anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here