Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Lions In The Dirt

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"I think it's bad news for the English game" (Alan Hansen)
"We're not creative enough; we're not positive enough" (Trevor Brooking)
"We'll go on getting bad results" (Jimmy Hill)

These comments would not have looked out of place if they had been made after last night's match. Instead, they were statements made about the Graham Taylor years prior to Euro 96 and can be heard in the intro to the original 3 Lions song.

Can someone convince me things aren't as bad now as they were under Taylor? In my opinion the team that lost 2-0 to Holland in October 1993 is better than the side we've got now: Seaman, Parker, Dorigo, Pallister, Ince, Adams, Platt, Palmer (Sinton), Shearer, Merson (Wright), Sharpe.

I think the FA should sack Cappello now, appoint Shearer as caretaker for the Wales match in March, then look to appoint Redknapp immediately after the end of this season, ready for the June qualifier at home to the Swiss.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with everything except the last paragraph. Firstly because Shearer is a useless manager and secondly because if Redknapp gets the England job, Gus may just have done enough by them to be snapped up by Spurs :down:

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Also, isn't Redknapp up for tax issues in April ? The real problem is the foreign players in the Premier League; The year you're highlighting was very early into it. Funny how the 3-4 French Premier League players practically ran the midfield?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Is the clamour for Redkanpp just beacause of the dearth of half-decent candidates?

I can't quite see how a man who has throughout his career relied heavily on spending his way out of trouble can suddenly transform himself into a master tactician who can bring the best out of a limited group of players.

And as for Shearer as caretaker...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"I think it's bad news for the English game" (Alan Hansen)
"We're not creative enough; we're not positive enough" (Trevor Brooking)
"We'll go on getting bad results" (Jimmy Hill)

I think the FA should sack Cappello now, appoint Shearer as caretaker for the Wales match in March, then look to appoint Redknapp immediately after the end of this season, ready for the June qualifier at home to the Swiss.

That last sentence has made me begin to GENUINELY think you might be a wind up account.

Also, our win draw loss record in the last couple of years has been as strong as it has pretty much ever been.

I really hope you are on a wind up, in which case you are a genius and I bow down to you.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's a loveless marriage with Capello, the Gerrard stuff last night shows how little he cares. We need a technically astute British manager - O'Neill is the best candidate, Bruce, Hodgson, Moyes and Ferguson should all be flirted with. It would cost £8 million to disembowel him and the Mafia so we'll stagnate til 2012, but if we instead spend £5 million on a new National Football Centre there is still a chance for the future. You could have picked fewer better teams to underline the need for investment in coaching than France.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a loveless marriage with Capello, the Gerrard stuff last night shows how little he cares. We need a technically astute British manager - O'Neill is the best candidate, Bruce, Hodgson, Moyes and Ferguson should all be flirted with. It would cost £8 million to disembowel him and the Mafia so we'll stagnate til 2012, but if we instead spend £5 million on a new National Football Centre there is still a chance for the future. You could have picked fewer better teams to underline the need for investment in coaching than France.

All far far far better suggestions than Alan shearer and Harry redknapp.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Best not to get too concerned, England have always had mostly lows since '66 and nothing is going to change no matter who the manager is.

We are in decline due to many reasons but mostly because of the huge amount of foreign players across all four divisions. I'm not a xenophobe but do the math... for instance remember when we had so many class keepers that they were spoilt for choice ? now try to find a first team goalie who is English at a top club playing week in week out.

It does not matter who is managing if the manager has no competition for places.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

I don't think he would manage England in a million years!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Think about it. The caretaker job is for one match, and it's against old foes Wales. The bloke in charge doesn't have to be a tactical genius, he just needs to be a figurehead the players and fans can all get behind. This person must also be immediately available, well-respected and, preferably, have England international experience.

I would not advocate him as full-time manager or even over, say 2 or 3 games, but for a one-off all-British clash I think he fits the bill.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Think about it. The caretaker job is for one match, and it's against old foes Wales. The bloke in charge doesn't have to be a tactical genius, he just needs to be a figurehead the players and fans can all get behind. This person must also be immediately available, well-respected and, preferably, have England international experience.

I would not advocate him as full-time manager or even over, say 2 or 3 games, but for a one-off all-British clash I think he fits the bill.

It's been done... Keegan.

Over the years we have tried every type of manager with similar results..

The " gifted ex-International " Keegan and Hoddle

The " English through and through " Taylor and Revie

The " Respected Nice Bloke " Sir Bobby and Greenwood

The "Intelligent Foreign Coach With New Ideas but With a proven Track Record" Ericsson and Cappelo

The " Top Coach who The Players Can Get on With " McClaren and Venables

It's ALL been done so the wheellspins and its, "lets have a good 'ol English manager who knows the game inside out" this time.

It does not work ! we have to accept that we are a mediocre football nation who on occasions flatters to decieve.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you asked the Welsh would they rather face an England side under Cappello or Shearer I think they'd take Cappello on the basis he's a negative for England, whereas Shearer would be a neutral at worst.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I've got Jimmy Hill's autobiog written in the late 1990's. His comments about foreign imports and the effect of the Belgian bloke's court-case (senior moment here) were very far-sighted.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Get rid off Postman Patello now, bring back Hoddle as caretaker (he did have a 60% win ratio when in charge) and then wait for Mourhino, who is a closet Englishman after all.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Get rid off Postman Patello now, bring back Hoddle as caretaker (he did have a 60% win ratio when in charge) and then wait for Mourhino, who is a closet Englishman after all.

I don't think you are seeing the big picture

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here