Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread of players you thought would be amazing but never lived up to their potential

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Title says it all really

Jeremie Aliadiere- Signed at 16 by Arsenal, Scored hat loads in the Carling cup, Looked like he could be 'The next Thierry Henry'. Currently unattached.

Richie Humphreys- Burst on the scene in 1996 at Premier League Sheffield Wednesday was tipped as a future England international. Slipped down the leagues before Settling at Hartlepool United.

Steve Sidwell- Made a huge impact during a loan spell with Brighton. Snapped up by Reading impressing in both the Championship & Premier League. Chased the money & ended up at Chelsea for a season before arriving at his current club Aston Villa where the collection of splinters in his arse is growing by the week.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sad, but true:

AdamHinshelwood_2402612.jpg

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Francis Jeffers, played once for England and scored, all went wrong when he went to Arsenal, don't even know who he plays for now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Danny Cadamarteri

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
For Brighton - Mickey Thomas. I was soooo excited when we signed him.
Football in general - ironically, Rod Thomas. I remember seeing him on telly playing for England Schoolboys (probably against Scotland) and he just looked absolutely brilliant. I thought he'd be superb, and even when he eventually showed up at the Albion, you could still see what was there, if only he'd been able to apply it, stay committed enough etc.

Also, there was a young lad who came on against us for Man Utd way back when. David Blackman. Whatever happened to him?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Carlton Cole
Joe Cole
Glen Johnson
Leon Knight
Harry Kewell
Alan Smith
Michael Bridges
Jon Harley
Lee Sharpe

So many South Americans- D'alassandro, Aimar, Ortega, Adriano, etc

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
more harsh then anything , didn't he have to retire due to injury at a young age?

Yes he did. He was such a promising young football and, from what people have told me, a really nice bloke to boot. I hope he does well in whatever his chosen career after football is, he has had enough bad luck to last a lifetime.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
freddy adddddddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wayne Rooney? Once lauded as potential world class.......I dont think he will actually achieve this now.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
freddy aduu, walcott (still got time but yeh..) eduardo!

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Freddy Adu is a bloody good shout, The American Pele? Think he plays either for Benfica reserves or a lower team in Portugal.

Mark Burchill- Burst on the scene in 1997 at Celtic aged 18 seen as Scotlands answer to Michael Owen won 6 internaitional caps. Became a bit of a journeyman making his way through the leagues in England & Scotland. Now at Cypriot team Enosis Neon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
jody morris
jermaine pennant
lee sharpe
leon knight
luke chadwick
richard wright
carl cort

Bit harsh that. The bloke played for England and collected a few medals on the way - he certainly would have had more but he got meningitis one season and fractured an ankle in another.

I remember several players who signed for Brighton who I thought were going to be superb and turned out to be toilet. Alan Duffy, who scored a great goal on his debut but turned out to be a fat slob, Bertie Lutton and Jason Peake are three who spring immediately to mind.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What about Lee Martin - that guy who scored in the Cup Final for Man Utd?

For the Albion - sadly - it has to be Jake Robinson.

Michael Ricketts deserves a mention, as does Anton Ferdinand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here