Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts on Dicker?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
A player with vision that few at this level can match, and normally very strong on the ball, but he does tend to have games when he gives it away a lot, which I suppose is why he's playing in League One and not higher.

Hit and miss night for him I thought.
Agreed. Not his best game but not all bad either, people tend to notice losing the ball more than all the clever things he does.
Something I have noticed about him is that he seems to need a couple of games to get his form going, when he first signed, when Gus kept dropping him, when he's been suspended etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
quality player, does so much for the team as he always has the AWARENESS & VISION to pick out the right pass...is bold and adventurous in his efforts and this leads to him giving the ball away once or twice a match...one of our best players

Well said.
Any player who always wants the ball, never goes into hiding, and whose stock in trade is picking out passes all game will inevitable misplace a few more passes than others of a different style. Below par tonight but in general a classy cultured player who, on his day, is simply a joy to watch. I hope he sticks around for a long time to come.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Can't believe some of the comments on here. "Almost lost us the game tonight" - yup, would've been entirely his fault and nothing to do with Calderon being sent off.

Dicker is incredible, superb footballer.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
What I love about Dicker is he does so much by doing so little...often its feining to one side, or turning on the ball that leads his markers astray...he just uses his body and his brains to do the work...also, his pinpoint passes mean the ball does the work...quality and my favourite player

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Can't believe some of the comments on here. "Almost lost us the game tonight" - yup, would've been entirely his fault and nothing to do with Calderon being sent off.

Dicker is incredible, superb footballer.

spot on. it seems if a class player like dicker has an average game we get a thread of "is dicker really that good" ect ect.
very good player and we would be stupid if hes not given a 3 year contract

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What I love about Dicker is he does so much by doing so little...often its feining to one side, or turning on the ball that leads his markers astray...he just uses his body and his brains to do the work...also, his pinpoint passes mean the ball does the work...quality and my favourite player

And very well said again.

The little turns and feints that just open up the field of play and a world of options to him, again and again, are just lovely to watch.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Somewhere between the Wizard and 7.18 is probably right - quality player but prone to lapses in concentration and tonight one of them cost us a goal.
That said he pulled the strings on the free kick that lead to Murray's equaliser and he has done that a few times this season already. The number of misplaced passes is perhaps what keeps him in league 1 as a Brighton player and not someone already plying his trade in the Championship which he clearly has the skill to do.
He was below par tonight, but I generally agree with these sentiments. When he's top of his game, and playing with full confidence, he's simply a delight to watch, often showing grace, technique, awareness & passing ability well above the standard we're used to in League One. However as SG says, he's prone to lapses in concentration, and 'over-doing' the shield-the-ball-and-spin-your-marker-into-space move (you know the one), also he's not the most most mobile of players, nor does he get forward a great deal, or score many goals - which is why he's not playing at a higher level.

There's no doubt he could go onto be a decent Championship midfielder though, hopefully with us.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For what it's worth - I hope he does too.

Good, I wasn't suggesting for a minute that you didn't.

I was just adding it as an aside as I love watching him play and think he brings so much to the team.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought tonight, Dicker, like most of the team, seemed to not really be at the races for the first 25 minutes. I don't know if they needed to work off the rut having not played for a while or if it just took them time to get going, but the first 25 was really sloppy, but they worked hard, found their feet and ultimately put in a fantastic performance.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Gary Dicker is immense and gives the rest of the team so much confidence. Whenever I see him play he stands out a mile. Championship standard.

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
I love the way he works his socks off but doesn't he give the ball away a lot?

Not an ideal game for him to shine with less cover around him and less options on passes to play when we are down to 10. Yep he gave the ball away more than normal yesterday but he still is a quality flair player and is one of the few players we have who can change the direction of play with a bit of skill and space finding in the middle of the park!

We have done ever so well playing total football for half a season and remaining top, the second half of the season will be a different brand of football, a bit like last night although that being heavily influenced by 10 men!

sparky

Jan 17, 2009
whoever started this thread knows very little about football. dicker had poor game last night but he can play at higher level no question

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If a centre midfielder in a passing team never gave the ball away, sod playing in the Prem he'd be in the Champions League. This guy is in League 1 and one of the best here so great I'd say! Plus at such a young age no reason he can't develop into a great Championship player too :D

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
It's because he sets such high standards that people notice the odd error. He's only human. We're top of the league, have a terrific team who know how to play football and have delighted us with some fantastic performances. They have a never say die attitude which shone through last night. Personally, I can't ask for much more.

Everyone needs to adjust when playing with 10 men, especially against promotion rivals who had their tails up after going ahead so early on.

The whole team deserved real credit last night and no-one should be singled out for blame.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
When we played charlton at the valley dicker bossed the midfield and made their midfield look very ordinary,therfore i think he was targeted last night as our threat.Anytime he got the ball more than one charlton player closed him down and usually his little shimmy's and turns can beat 2/3 players at a time but it didn't quite come off last night.Without doubt not his best performance last night,still class for league one,no arguments!!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A very good player, If I was picking the side he'd be one of the first on the team sheet

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
shit thread.
dicker is class anyone that thinks different knows fuk all about football.
thread closed

Anyone who can't read shouldn't be allowed to post either. Look at the thread again and virtually everyone is describing him as a class act but that he is prone to some mistakes. Wasn't his best game last night but a long way from being his worst. He gave the ball away for the first goal and a couple of other times. However, he would always be a first choice if I was picking the team. The player we missed last night was Kishishev. I'd have him in the team instead of Sparrow who I felt did very little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here