Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Thomas Cook

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mate good luck to you working there, couldn’t think of anything worse than going on a holiday with a lot of these passengers in the first place [emoji23]

I’ve switched to replying to stuff on Facebook now.

So many of the people had quotes with us and smuggly told us they booked with TC because it’s cheaper.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I had to turn the TV off this morning - I couldn't listen to any more ''tales of woe'' - I feel sorry for all of them I truly do but when they get on camera and start to tell you all the tales of woe of their kids having ''Attention Deficit Disorder'' like that is somehow gonna miraculously get them onto a flight at the expense of someone else's misfortune, I couldn't listen anymore.

It's almost like whoever comes up with the ''tallest tale'' is going to manoeuvre them into a more privileged position than someone else. I really hope they all get sorted out and get off on holiday but the desire to outdo each other I just couldn't listen to any more.

Quite, I mentioned earlier about the woman saying how unfair it was she would have to get a coach from Scotland to Birmingham. I also saw somewhere about these two women (ultra fat) who only had enough tablets for their "life threatening" condition to last until the day they were due to fly home. Well if you are so stupid not to take extra tablets with you which would save your life should their be any issues you probably need to succumb to natural selection.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quite, I mentioned earlier about the woman saying how unfair it was she would have to get a coach from Scotland to Birmingham. I also saw somewhere about these two women (ultra fat) who only had enough tablets for their "life threatening" condition to last until the day they were due to fly home. Well if you are so stupid not to take extra tablets with you which would save your life should their be any issues you probably need to succumb to natural selection.

Bet she doesn’t pay for her script either [emoji23]

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

LOL LOL LOL - I know I shouldn't laugh but couldn't they pop back home and get more - After all, they won't be going anywhere for a while.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’ve switched to replying to stuff on Facebook now.

So many of the people had quotes with us and smuggly told us they booked with TC because it’s cheaper.

It’s bad enough flying short haul with these type of passengers and airlines, I couldn’t think of anything worse than a 10 hour experience in an A330 to Cancun.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Will be interesting to see if someone (Branson, TUI, ANO) make an offer to the administrators for the entire business. No idea what the numbers would be but it would be considerably below the 1.7BN debt and they get a going concern with ready made assets (aircraft, people, property) and travel partners. Put a decent management team in there that know how to run a travel business properly and I can't see it not being 'successful' I assume a price could be offered that honoured all forward bookings.

Unlikely I know but not beyond the realms

Very, very unlikely. They went into compulsory liquidation, not an administration. This means that they’ve ceased trading entirely. It’s just possible that small parts of the business may be bought, but even that’s unlikely - a purchaser would have to move very swiftly (within about 24-48 hours); any UK employees of those parts of the business would be TUPEd over.

Any hedge fund who had a credit default swap position (I don’t know if there are any) will now do very nicely out of the liquidation. So that’s alright then.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never been on a package holiday in my 48 years, does one not have some kind of insurance or guarantee when using someone else to provide you with imagination for your holiday ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've never been on a package holiday in my 48 years, does one not have some kind of insurance or guarantee when using someone else to provide you with imagination for your holiday ?

A bit harsh - Package holidays offer great value to people who cannot necessarily afford to do things independently. I know it's not always cheaper to do things as a package but it allows people to budget easily - As in, this is what you get for £300, no need to worry about any extras etc. Also, not everyone is a confident traveller, packages give people great peace of mind.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sorry my fellow Boro friend, but I've already explained on the Brexit thread how/why Brexit is partly to blame.

Mismanagement is a factor yes, but debt can be managed based on futures. People booking less holidays for the sake not wanting to suck up the additional cost of spending money and hotel prices blows a hole in any debt management plans.

Meanwhile a real life expert tells the real story, nothing to do with you know what.

Shares in other travel companies like TUI and On The Beach, have risen since the collapse of Thomas Cook.

Sarah Coles, personal finance analyst, told Sky News that Thomas Cook's business model had a "fundamental flaw" by borrowing money at this time of year to bulk buy hotel rooms and lease claims, and then making it back throughout the year.

Ms Coles said that in contrast, TUI doesn't book anything until it's received money from the customer, by buying things like hotel rooms further downstream.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A bit harsh - Package holidays offer great value to people who cannot necessarily afford to do things independently. I know it's not always cheaper to do things as a package but it allows people to budget easily - As in, this is what you get for £300, no need to worry about any extras etc. Also, not everyone is a confident traveller, packages give people great peace of mind.

Also some people just need to get away to recharge the batteries, so a bit of sun, swimming pool and a bar does the trick.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Meanwhile a real life expert tells the real story, nothing to do with you know what.

Shares in other travel companies like TUI and On The Beach, have risen since the collapse of Thomas Cook.

Sarah Coles, personal finance analyst, told Sky News that Thomas Cook's business model had a "fundamental flaw" by borrowing money at this time of year to bulk buy hotel rooms and lease claims, and then making it back throughout the year.

Ms Coles said that in contrast, TUI doesn't book anything until it's received money from the customer, by buying things like hotel rooms further downstream.

Are we talking part or in full?

Because TUI have payment plans in place, so I find it highly unlikely they won't reserve a space until it has been paid in full.

In which case if they did, they run the risk of not being able to provide what they sold.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Because TUI have payment plans in place, so I find it highly unlikely they won't reserve a space until it has been paid in full.

In which case if they did, they run the risk of not being able to provide what they sold.

Here’s the full article, anyone with a modicum of business savvy will tell you their model was flawed and their customers have suffered, although the ones who have already had their holidays no doubt payed next to nothing for their holidays to Orlando and Cuba so they were alright.

She said they have broken into cruises too, which has helped. Thomas Cook was not able to invest because it was running with debts.

She said that On The Beach is benefiting because it has more customers available since Thomas Cook has collapsed. However, she warned they will have problems going ahead because packages aren't too hard to put together.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Here’s the full article, anyone with a modicum of business savvy will tell you their model was flawed and their customers have suffered, although the ones who have already had their holidays no doubt payed next to nothing for their holidays to Orlando and Cuba so they were alright.

She said they have broken into cruises too, which has helped. Thomas Cook was not able to invest because it was running with debts.

She said that On The Beach is benefiting because it has more customers available since Thomas Cook has collapsed. However, she warned they will have problems going ahead because packages aren't too hard to put together.

Of course they have gone up, it doesn't take a genius to work out why.

similarly when Monarch went down other airlines shares rose. The quote doesn't answer my question in practical terms. Are they trying to say they only book a room when booking/deposit is made or that they don't book a room unless it has been paid in full?

I'm not for one second saying TC themselves are to blame, I don't think anybody believes this, only that their model was more exposed to Brexit and downturn in GBP.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Banks going under would be catastrophic. Where do you draw the line on bailing out businesses - who would and wouldn't be eligible? And TC business model wasn't working. They could be bailed out for £200M to keep the lights on but they'd be in trouble again within 12 months.

Absolutely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not what my TUI pal has said in the past - he's regularly spoken about trips he's made after which they have pre-bought an entire hotel's availability 18/24 months ahead........

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here