Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Thomas Cook

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Thomas Cook passengers will be able to claim back against EU Package Travel Directive (2015/2302/EU) which protects European travelers for cancellation, repatriation and refunds, alongside that and EU Regulation 261/2004, for delayed flights, will be interesting to see which of these regulations are retained if we do leave the EU.

It was very thoughtful of Thomas Cook to collapse before 31 October, eh?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard Transport Minister Grant Shapps defending government decision not to bail out Thomas Cook on basis that they're a business subject to market forces and it wasn't the government's policy to bail out private sector business.

Apart from the banks...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I heard Transport Minister Grant Shapps defending government decision not to bail out Thomas Cook on basis that they're a business subject to market forces and it wasn't the government's policy to bail out private sector business.

Apart from the banks...

Banks going under would be catastrophic. Where do you draw the line on bailing out businesses - who would and wouldn't be eligible? And TC business model wasn't working. They could be bailed out for £200M to keep the lights on but they'd be in trouble again within 12 months.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Will be interesting to see if someone (Branson, TUI, ANO) make an offer to the administrators for the entire business. No idea what the numbers would be but it would be considerably below the 1.7BN debt and they get a going concern with ready made assets (aircraft, people, property) and travel partners. Put a decent management team in there that know how to run a travel business properly and I can't see it not being 'successful' I assume a price could be offered that honoured all forward bookings.

Unlikely I know but not beyond the realms

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
People on the radio just now moaning that they're being flown back to the UK on a replacement flight, on time, same day, for free, but they're having to catch a coach home (paid for, aka Free) from a different airport to the one they were supposed to land at.

People. Seriously.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
I went into a Thomas Cook shop to explore a ski holiday a few weeks ago. I noted their prices for an Inghams trip were the same as going directly via Inghams. Thomas Cook said they had to sell at the same price by law - meaning their profit would be a fraction of Inghams'. So. . . .I booked with Ingams directly. Phew!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
People on the radio just now moaning that they're being flown back to the UK on a replacement flight, on time, same day, for free, but they're having to catch a coach home (paid for, aka Free) from a different airport to the one they were supposed to land at.

People. Seriously.

I had to turn the TV off this morning - I couldn't listen to any more ''tales of woe'' - I feel sorry for all of them I truly do but when they get on camera and start to tell you all the tales of woe of their kids having ''Attention Deficit Disorder'' like that is somehow gonna miraculously get them onto a flight at the expense of someone else's misfortune, I couldn't listen anymore.

It's almost like whoever comes up with the ''tallest tale'' is going to manoeuvre them into a more privileged position than someone else. I really hope they all get sorted out and get off on holiday but the desire to outdo each other I just couldn't listen to any more.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I had to turn the TV off this morning - I couldn't listen to any more ''tales of woe'' - I feel sorry for all of them I truly do but when they get on camera and start to tell you all the tales of woe of their kids having ''Attention Deficit Disorder'' like that is somehow gonna miraculously get them onto a flight at the expense of someone else's misfortune, I couldn't listen anymore.

It's almost like whoever comes up with the ''tallest tale'' is going to manoeuvre them into a more privileged position than someone else. I really hope they all get sorted out and get off on holiday but the desire to outdo each other I just couldn't listen to any more.

It's X Factor 'tragic backstory' culture.

kjgood

Totally the same here. I hated the TC website so stopped using it and as a company they never came close to TUI. I have only booked through TUI / First Choice for the last few years. Their all inclusive resorts i’ve been to have proven excellent.

I may have misheard this in the early hours of this morning, but I think they said on LBC that TUI had a 55% holding in Thomas Cook. So what does that mean for TUI?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Harsh but fair, whilst I can really sympathise it really doesn’t matter what your circumstances are nothing is going to change because of it. Losing a holiday is really distressing but it doesn’t come close to losing your job, which 9000 people in the UK have done. You get your money back on a lost holiday, what about those who now can’t pay their mortgage and have to find a job double quick

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Will be interesting to see if someone (Branson, TUI, ANO) make an offer to the administrators for the entire business. No idea what the numbers would be but it would be considerably below the 1.7BN debt and they get a going concern with ready made assets (aircraft, people, property) and travel partners. Put a decent management team in there that know how to run a travel business properly and I can't see it not being 'successful' I assume a price could be offered that honoured all forward bookings.

Unlikely I know but not beyond the realms

Branson owns very little of Virgin, basically Delta owned.

I imagine Virgin will bid for the slots here and in Orlando.

There is a massively reduced amount of seats to Florida now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

TC pax are going into full meltdown at the contact centre staff saying how we have a duty of care towards them and refusing to pay our prices, I’ve been called a vulture already today. Haha

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
TC pax are going into full meltdown at the contact centre staff saying how we have a duty of care towards them and refusing to pay our prices, I’ve been called a vulture already today. Haha

Well you are obviously personally setting the rebooking prices so I get where they are coming from :wink:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Mate good luck to you working there, couldn’t think of anything worse than going on a holiday with a lot of these passengers in the first place [emoji23]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

People. Seriously.

a few decades ago that coach trip would have been their holiday. (cue Yorkshireman sketch)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Harsh but fair, whilst I can really sympathise it really doesn’t matter what your circumstances are nothing is going to change because of it. Losing a holiday is really distressing but it doesn’t come close to losing your job, which 9000 people in the UK have done. You get your money back on a lost holiday, what about those who now can’t pay their mortgage and have to find a job double quick

Totally this.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I hope some of those gobbing off on the tv about their kids get done for taking them out of school if school age [emoji23]

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

You could offer to rebook them on a holiday to Sanditon?

Sanditon2-760x376.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here