Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Cook

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right now Thomas Cook is a much safer bet!

Really? I think anyone would be utterly foolish to book a trip with these guys at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the ABTA insurance is also subbed by the Government so quite a lot at stake her if they do go tits up, oh and San Francisco

If you must use a tour operator go Virgin to San Fran. Or even better book the flights with them and stay somewhere independant; there's some lovely and cheap places to stay outside of the package hotels.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you must use a tour operator go Virgin to San Fran. Or even better book the flights with them and stay somewhere independant; there's some lovely and cheap places to stay outside of the package hotels.

Looked at Virgin prices and very expensive compared to others for San Francisco, have used Cosmos for main summer holidays.

In fact quite surprised as last year used Virgin for a Vegas trip and very reasonable.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looked at Virgin prices and very expensive compared to others for San Francisco, have used Cosmos for main summer holidays.

In fact quite surprised as last year used Virgin for a Vegas trip and very reasonable.

Fair enough, San Fran and Tokyo are Virgin's two most expensive flights. Probably because they're the two nicest places they fly to IMHO.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

We did LV, LA & SF last year with United Airlines Vactions - they were excellent and much better value than UK companies

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We did LV, LA & SF last year with United Airlines Vactions - they were excellent and much better value than UK companies

No one should ever fly NorthWest. Awful airline and the fuckers cost me a shed load of cash when I missed my outbound flight and had to totally re-book all three flights with them at short notice. Toss pots.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
oh, and please please no one use BA.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Also, if you book the component parts yourself you do not loose the whole trip if something goes wrong; you only need find an alternative to the component which has screwed up e.g. flight not flying then get another flight. Hotel screws up just book another. As I understand it when a holiday firm folds you loose the lot.

In theory yes, but what happens when your flight is cancelled a few days before or on the day (snow/volcano etc) a replacement flight (if available) would cost a packet and it will be weeks if not months before you get your money back from the original flight. And if you cannot go your hotel and other costs are up the swanny

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In theory yes, but what happens when your flight is cancelled a few days before or on the day (snow/volcano etc) a replacement flight (if available) would cost a packet

True, but at least you have a choice.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Stick it on your credit card and it's covered. Failing that I have a year round travel insurance policy which covers such things (I think).

Also, if you book the component parts yourself you do not loose the whole trip if something goes wrong; you only need find an alternative to the component which has screwed up e.g. flight not flying then get another flight. Hotel screws up just book another. As I understand it when a holiday firm folds you loose the lot.

It's not just simple to book another flight if the airline goes TU, all the prices to that destination go up straight away as there is less capacity and more demand, and the less time before the holiday the more expensive the flight as the cheapest classes will likely be sold out.

Most insurance policies only cover if you cancel the holiday, not the operator " Provides cover for travel and accommodation and excursions, tours and activities that have been pre paid or you are contracted to pay for and cannot get back if you cancel or cut short your holiday"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not just simple to book another flight if the airline goes TU, all the prices to that destination go up straight away as there is less capacity and more demand, and the less time before the holiday the more expensive the flight as the cheapest classes will likely be sold out.

Most insurance policies only cover if you cancel the holiday, not the operator " Provides cover for travel and accommodation and excursions, tours and activities that have been pre paid or you are contracted to pay for and cannot get back if you cancel or cut short your holiday"

Fair enough but you have a choice. Maybe fly out later or fly elsewhere and travel the last bit by road or something. This thread originated from BH who is going to San Fran. If a TC flight to there went tits up then there are plenty of options remaining which yes will be pricier but you have choice. I'm pretty sure Barclaycard would pay out on a tits up flight.

All things considered I prefer to book my own stuff and have total control. And the times when things have gone a bit screwy I have always been able to resolve it easily with a few adjustments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The flights are actually outward Continental and back United so having used Virgin last year which was very good what are these two airlines like ?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I can understand people's concerns about their own holidays but spare a thought for all those people that actually work for them. They are based in Peterborough and have thousands of employees locally and all around the world. The real shame is and I have no connection with them is that in my experience they have always been really helpful and knowledgeable.
I agree with others who say they do not know how they have survived with all the web sites etc, but if they do go, and I hope they don't I will miss their attention to detail and good service. Yet another UK company vanished forever.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Always fly ba where I can...never had a single issue in over 20 odd flights.

Flew with Luftwaffe once....blimey

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just make sure your insurance covers scheduled airline/tour operator failure.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If you have a package holiday booked then ATOL will cover you. If the company is ABTA covered then that is the other route.

If you have only booked the flights then coverage will be via travel insurance or credit card guarantee

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The flights are actually outward Continental and back United so having used Virgin last year which was very good what are these two airlines like ?

We were impressed with United - we went online and paid extra for their equivilent of premium economy which was quite reasonable

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Well have booked a trip with them for me and the wife in February whilst Mini is dispatched on the school skiing trip. I paid by credit card in full so should I be worried in the light of todays news :down::down:

BBC News - Thomas Cook shares dive 75% on news of bank talks

If you have booked a package trip with accommodation then you are covered by ABTA and if not you will be covered by your credit card as stated in previous posts.

Thomas Cook are an airline as well as a tour operator and they may use their own airline for your flight or operate on an alternative carrier - do you have your flight numbers yet? If your flight number begins with TCX then it is Thomas Cook's own aircraft if it is MON (Monarch charter), ZB (Monarch schedule) or TOM (Thomson Airways) - anything different to that let me know and I can tell you which airline.

I think it is very unlikely that Thomas Cook will go bust in the short-term (although you never can tell). If you get away on your holiday and you have got a package then don't worry if anything happens while you are away as you should all be sorted out under ATOL protection.

If it's any consolation - many year's ago my wife and I and our 1 year old daughter were on a 2 week holiday out in Kos, Greece when our tour operator went bust, we stayed in our accommodation and got our flight home with out any problem. To our surprise and delight when we got home we discovered that our tour operator had only ever taken an initial £40 deposit off us and no further money was ever taken. Two week holiday with accommodation and flights in Greece for 2 adults and baby for £40 - result!!! :lolol: :thumbsup:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
is your son going on the newman ski trip by any chance? I am as a sixth former, can't wait!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here