Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Cook

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
This may be my ignorance, but I thought Thomas Cook were partly owned by Thomson?

Nope. Thomson merged with First Choice - now both brands exist under the TUI Travel umbrella.

Thomas Cook merged with My Travel

Regarding the OP - although you booked thru Thomas Cook, I don't think it'll actually be a TC package holiday since they don't fly to the States (I think they even dropped their Florida route a while back). Likely the agent has just booked flights with a scheduled airline, and accommodation booked in addition through a local supplier. So I don't think it'll necessarily have the same ATOL protection as a standard TC holiday package would have. If the airline/accommodation have been paid, then it should be fine.

I would be very surprised if they folded completely before next summer though. It would be interesting to see what happens if they eventually do though, since it's obviously such an old and well known UK business.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks for comments, just to clarify the holiday is in February and if you cancel you get nothing back. Yes the flights are not Thomas Cook so I suppose we just wait and hope it will be OK.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Thanks for comments, just to clarify the holiday is in February and if you cancel you get nothing back. Yes the flights are not Thomas Cook so I suppose we just wait and hope it will be OK.

I think you'll be OK financially as it seems the ATOL protection extends further than just their package holidays - and although Thomas Cook do allow you to cancel outside of 70 days (which is now until 01/02/12) with just the loss of deposit, the scheduled airline tickets are the issue:

Exception - Cancellation of certain transport arrangements, typically scheduled airline and Eurostar tickets can result in up to 100% cancellation charges regardless of the notice period given to us.

Fingers crossed. It's a shame, for sure. I actually work for their main rivals - but over the years, I've worked alongside a lot of Thomas Cook staff overseas and I still speak some of their departments on a daily basis in my current role. I can't imagine how it must feel to be seeing news about your company's debts on the news all day long. Horrible :( Fingers crossed for them all.

Fingers crossed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The flights are actually outward Continental and back United so having used Virgin last year which was very good what are these two airlines like ?

Continental good, not as gimmicky as Virgin though. United not quite as good but they are the same airline now, so mix planes etc!

Continental Biz Class is best in the game so if you get a chance - do it!

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
The mrs works in the air travel biz and has been speaking to some contacts about this. Apparently their finances are sound and they dont understand why the directors have asked for more money. But now they have gone public people will stop booking with them and they really will be in the shit. Also the belief is that they wouldnt be allowed to go under as they are too big. They would either get a bailout or bought by Thomson or Virgin.

We have a holiday to Florida in March booked through Thomas Cook's Signature but the flights are with Virgin sure that will be ok but will be sorting our travel insurance out sharpish!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here