Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This turn around in the performances...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I know it's a bit early to get excited about watching the Albion at the moment, but I am genuinely impressed with the turnaround of the players' performances over the past couple of games.

The Blackpool live game was the utter nadir of Albion performances, arguably worse than Stoke City at the end of last season. The fact that the Blackpool game was live on telly I think has embarrassed the management and the players into a major re-think of everyone's suitability and position.

The effect appeared to be immediate, with an excellent and unexpected win at Scunthorpe. Northampton was a tough encounter - I think we badly missed Revell - but went straight back on form against Huddersfield. And then last night's demolition of albeit some pretty mediocre opposition was very satisfying.

My point is that, I honestly feel we have 'bottomed out' (ooer!) and since that Blackpool game - a real red letter day - the players are now playing with some confidence, composure and belief at last. And that is down to Dean Wilkins. Fair play to the fellow. As most of the team are still very young, they can only improve, and that can only be a good thing.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Footnote: they'll probably make a complete pig's ear of it at Bradford now. :(

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Agree with all that, especially the Bradford bit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well said grumpy :clap:

Yes it is down to DW. Fair play to him he took the flak when we were losing so praise is due!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Been watching brighton for 2 long to get excited over 2 good performances.

WAS impressed last night though- confidence is the key, 7 goals in 2 cant be bad for moral.

MUST keep it up at bradders, clean sheet and i'll be well happy .:albion:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
yeah , DW is suprising me and the team are actually looking good. I will exclude the Northampton game as I still think we were shit in that.
I am concerned that a team that was so dreadful can now look so good though, Im hoping it never ends as Im loving it at the moment.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think at the moment it's just an upturn in form, give it another month and if it's still going as well as the last few weeks have then I'll be getting excited.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
All Iknow is that the Leyton Orient, QPR,West Ham,Dirty Leeds and Gillingham supporters that I work with in Arsessex have stopped "popping in" every Monday to take the p*ss!

Gimps.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dougal said:
yeah , DW is suprising me and the team are actually looking good. I will exclude the Northampton game as I still think we were shit in that.
I am concerned that a team that was so dreadful can now look so good though, Im hoping it never ends as Im loving it at the moment.
Interestingly, I would turn both those points around. One, I am not surprosed a Dean Wilkins team is looking good - really I'm not. Also, I would ask how can a team which looks so good have been so shit a month ago.

The personnel hasn't changed, the management hasn't changed (since Blackpool), but attitudes and belief have. Tactically, it was a case of fine-tuning. Putting El-Abd in the middle of midfield is a masterstroke. Well, maybe not that - but quite good. Similarly, Robinson is on fire at the moment.

As was said, it's a bit early to get excited, but we have what the lads are capable of, and while we won't get it every game, I do expect to see a bit more of this improvement in the future.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
All Iknow is that the Leyton Orient, QPR,West Ham,Dirty Leeds and Gillingham supporters that I work with in Arsessex have stopped "popping in" every Monday to take the p*ss!

Gimps.

Marvellous. My QPR, Orient and Norwich-supporting workmates have been equally quiet :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
. Also, I would ask how can a team which looks so good have been so shit a month ago.

Simple imo, young players getting a break (Scunthorpe down to 10 men early on) and the confidence of youth taking over again. I fully expect some more dire performances when we get decisions and refs seeming to be against us and we lose a couple on the bounce.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bevendean Hillbilly said:

Gimps.

How on earth could any of these fans take the p*ss?

If I were you I'd start giving some Payback!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Always think its a sign of a decent manager if they can solve the sides problems and turn them round if they are in a slump.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Careful Les I hear the great one warming up his fingers in defence of a previous manager....

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
My mate who has never been to a Brighton game until last night was amazed how young our squad was, but how well they played. He thought most of them looked about 15. Obviously excluding Butters. :lolol:

The team look top notch at the moment, the defence looks pretty solid and we're going forward with conviction now.

Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd say there are three main reasons - Whing joining and stabilising the RB position, Butters and Hinsh renewing their partnership and Robinson becoming more confident with every game.

We've now gone from being a team that expects to concede to one that expects to score.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Careful Les I hear the great one warming up his fingers in defence of a previous manager....

I haven't had a row with him in weeks Tone. I don't even intend to, this a new Les your seeing here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Icy Gull said:
Simple imo, young players getting a break (Scunthorpe down to 10 men early on) and the confidence of youth taking over again. I fully expect some more dire performances when we get decisions and refs seeming to be against us and we lose a couple on the bounce.
'Expect'?

Interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here