Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Teddy 'Mohammed'

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I'm really surprised that a fuss hasn't been made about this sculpture - This wooden sculpture in the Church of Our Dear Lady in Dendermonde, Belgium depicts Mohammed on the ground, clutching the Koran, being trampled on by angels. As first reported at The Brussels Journal, "The sculpture represents the triumph of Christianity over Islam." It was carved by the 17th-century sculptor Mattheus van Beveren.

Attachments

• Dendermonde1.jpg
    Dendermonde1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Dendermonde2.jpg
    Dendermonde2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 146

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Reminds me of an article written in the Daily Telegraph just before 9/11 by a professor of Islamic Studies at Islamabad Uni. He was writing about the "islamic law" that was being imposed in Afghanistan by the mujahadeen/Al-Qeda at the time with thought police prosecuting people for having TVs and suchlike. Their blowing up of the 2000 year old buddha along the spice trail too.

Basically, he called them semi-literate backward people who have no understanding of the faith, its teachings and how it should be applied. Morelike they adapted and warped the faith to fit their prejudices and world view (which was pretty unsophisticated and backwards by the standards of its other muslim neighbours). He said that it would be laughable if it were not so serious and predicted that it could harm the image of Islam greatly.

Yep. He was spot on there.

but the trouble is, someone will always interpret an ambiguous text with their own world-view. of course, a moderate muslim is going to say "allah doesn't want us to blow people up, it says so in the koran". whereas a fundamentalist is going to say "allah wants us to blow people up, it says so in the koran". we deplore these fundamentalists because it's what we want to believe. who's to say that they have not interpreted the text more accurately?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm really surprised that a fuss hasn't been made about this sculpture - This wooden sculpture in the Church of Our Dear Lady in Dendermonde, Belgium depicts Mohammed on the ground, clutching the Koran, being trampled on by angels. As first reported at The Brussels Journal, "The sculpture represents the triumph of Christianity over Islam." It was carved by the 17th-century sculptor Mattheus van Beveren.

The angel on the left appears to be a little too excited about the whole thing.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
From what I read (I think on the BBC website most likely) it's more to do with the fact that it was a teddy bear... although we see them as being cute 'n cuddly over here, to the Sudanese they represent something a lot more fierce and unfriendly. Naming an object that represents fear and terror after their beloved prophet was the main grievance. But I could be wrong.

Religion is great.

Muslims in general are quite embarrssed by the situation.

And those most embarrassed in Sudan have all now met up in their thousands calling for the woman to be executed. They're all so embarrassed that the woman has had to be moved for her own safety.

Thank f*** they're not angry or she'd be in big trouble.

See how those pictures above, (of 'angels' treading down Mohammed) highlight the utter stupidity and hypocrisy of religion?

"Our religion is better than your religion and we beat down the people who are spiritually attached to that"
Emdemic to human stupidity and lunacy. Most of them cannot even explain the religions that they fight and die for - and not one can prove it!

That teacher still should have known better than to have flirted with trouble, though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
See how those pictures above, (of 'angels' treading down Mohammed) highlight the utter stupidity and hypocrisy of religion?

"Our religion is better than your religion and we beat down the people who are spiritually attached to that"
Emdemic to human stupidity and lunacy. Most of them cannot even explain the religions that they fight and die for - and not one can prove it!

That teacher still should have known better than to have flirted with trouble, though.

She was doing that by going to Sudan in the first place another place full of self righteous religious zealots who have nothing better to do than look for excuses to pick on those westerners who think they might be helping to educate their children,and march the streets looking very macho(I notice there were very few if any women in the demonstrations which says it all) waving swords and threatening death and dire destruction.

whatever the religion,get a job and look after your family and especially your woman because without her you would be but a grain of sand in your godforsaken Country.

and don't expect the cheque in the post,we tend to lose important things like in the post.

and please refrain from sending your students to study here at our government expense.

thank you

She was doing that by going to Sudan in the first place another place full of self righteous religious zealots who have nothing better to do than look for excuses to pick on those westerners who think they might be helping to educate their children,and march the streets looking very macho(I notice there were very few if any women in the demonstrations which says it all) waving swords and threatening death and dire destruction.

whatever the religion,get a job and look after your family and especially your woman because without her you would be but a grain of sand in your godforsaken Country.

and don't expect the cheque in the post,we tend to lose important things like in the post.

and please refrain from sending your students to study here at our government expense.

thank you

We only kill Brazillians without trial or chance to answer for themselves, in THIS country ???

And NOBODY gets punished, loses a job, or takes responsibility for it.

It's always those OTHER countries that are crazy, full of mad zealots frenzied at the drop of a hat. Our murders are clean, corporate, diplomatic mistakes.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
We only kill Brazillians without trial or chance to answer for themselves, in THIS country ???

It's always those OTHER countries that are crazy, full of mad zealots frenzied at the drop of a hat. Our murders are clean, corporate, diplomatic mistakes.

Yeah indeed, we should kill the lady and cut off the Teddy bears legs.

I once called Steve Coppell a Judas, I expect a heavy prison sentance.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

But if the kids had named the bear "Rupert" for example there would be no probem. I blame the f*cking kids! :lol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The schoolteacher in question has decided to publish her book, '' Is Allah a kunt '' once the kerfuffle has died down.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Yes,yes I feel for the poor boy,but how many times was he asked to leave the country because his visa run out ..............fate took a nasty hand there and has done the same in her case the teddy is an inanimate object,not a person.

And yes our police and Government could be better,but I am betting they are better than any in Brazil or Sudan and I also doubt either of them would have had any inquiry into a killing like that,and what if they had let him ride that train and he did blow it to kingdom come they would have been wrong there too buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

they were doing the job we pay them to do and I'm afraid thats the world we live in now.

Yes,yes I feel for the poor boy,but how many times was he asked to leave the country because his visa run out ..............fate took a nasty hand there and has done the same in her case the teddy is an inanimate object,not a person.

And yes our police and Government could be better,but I am betting they are better than any in Brazil or Sudan and I also doubt either of them would have had any inquiry into a killing like that,and what if they had let him ride that train and he did blow it to kingdom come they would have been wrong there too buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

they were doing the job we pay them to do and I'm afraid thats the world we live in now.

Well, you are just incredible proof that some people can excuse ANYTHING, and find any number of convoluted desperate arguments as long as it is defending OUR side and not some other country.

Yes yes glasfryn, it was FATE that shot the bloke numerous times into his brain on public transport on an ordinary average workday for a lad trying to make his way in a foreign country.
Visas and whatever other arguments the police put up to discredit JC Menezes? You really bought the cow the ob tried to sell/sold dincha? Don't forget the WIRES that were hanging out of his VERY BIG anorak, his VAULTING the guard-rails and turnstyle, RUNNING from his persuer who was shouting "stop, police" (all lies that the were attempted on the media to try and cover the mess up - but that's all reasonable in such times of terror, when our bobbies actually HELP the terrorists and make COMPLETE C***S of themselves)

Well that makes it alright, as long as you think Britain is failsafe and anyone we exact capitol punishment on without trial deserves what they get when the cops make a COMPLETE hash of it.

OMFG. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Well, you are just incredible proof that some people can excuse ANYTHING, and find any number of convoluted desperate arguments as long as it is defending OUR side and not some other country.

Yes yes glasfryn, it was FATE that shot the bloke numerous times into his brain on public transport on an ordinary average workday for a lad trying to make his way in a foreign country.
Visas and whatever other arguments the police put up to discredit JC Menezes? You really bought the cow the ob tried to sell/sold dincha? Don't forget the WIRES that were hanging out of his VERY BIG anorak, his VAULTING the guard-rails and turnstyle, RUNNING from his persuer who was shouting "stop, police" (all lies that the were attempted on the media to try and cover the mess up - but that's all reasonable in such times of terror, when our bobbies actually HELP the terrorists and make COMPLETE C***S of themselves)

Well that makes it alright, as long as you think Britain is failsafe and anyone we exact capitol punishment on without trial deserves what they get when the cops make a COMPLETE hash of it.

OMFG. :rolleyes:

You make a fair point NMH but lets get this into perspective, the JCM shooting was a very rare and isolated example of getting it wrong on a tragically immense scale, however the guys that shot him believed he was a suicide bomber. Whatever spin the media and the Met tried to put on it all it still didn't alter the fact that the shooters thought he was the real deal. In addition, it is highly likely although never confirmed that the shooters were not police officers but hailed from Hereford not that it makes it any less of a cock-up.

Compare this one incident with the many hundreds of thousands of human rights abuses, political murders and countless thousands of dissapearances in some other notable countries and I would still rather live here in the UK than any other country.

You make a fair point NMH but lets get this into perspective, the JCM shooting was a very rare and isolated example of getting it wrong on a tragically immense scale, however the guys that shot him believed he was a suicide bomber. Whatever spin the media and the Met tried to put on it all it still didn't alter the fact that the shooters thought he was the real deal. In addition, it is highly likely although never confirmed that the shooters were not police officers but hailed from Hereford not that it makes it any less of a cock-up.

Compare this one incident with the many hundreds of thousands of human rights abuses, political murders and countless thousands of dissapearances in some other notable countries and I would still rather live here in the UK than any other country.

Yes yes, I know all that stuff. But let's never forget that this did happen, and that Sudan was not on anyone's radar any more than the UK was on Brasil's until the shit hit the fan.
It's ALWAYS a few who let the majority down, and Sudanese law is probably dissipating fundamental fervour by being seen to do something in response to a religious faux-pas. Better jail than lashes or allowing the loons loose on her.

As much as you excuse the old bill and THAT amazing and outstanding gaff - I don't think it's okay to forget such, while calling a whole other country fanatical.

Some people just love to distort perspective about 'THEM', and glorify 'US'. As for this country over ANY other?? Hmm. I heard that exact thing from Americans who knew nothing about the rest of the world - and for myself I'm not waxing all jingo-istic about here and dismissive about 'there'.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What is all this crap with representatives trying to get her out of jail.

She was sentenced to 15 days FFS. They have spent a week so far in negiitiations. Just wait another week and it'll take care of itself.:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here