Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Teddy 'Mohammed'

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I have a serious question for anybody who can answer this.

The boy who chose the name Mohammed for the Teddy is called Mohammed, were his parents blasphemous when they named him (in the image of 'the phrophet')? Or for that matter, the literally millions of Mohammeds around the world.

Would it be blasphemous to call a Teddy Jesus, as people are also called Jesus.

If she had called the teddy 'The Prophet Mohammed' then fair point that it might offend (but hey get over it anyway), but for just calling the teddy a run of the mill Islamic name that the kids have chosen.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We should all read the comments from Muslims in the UK press.

They see this the whole thing as ridiculous and a localised over-reaction.

It isn't blasphemous to call a Teddy Jesus, but would seem a bit odd in this country.

In Spain, not only wouldn't it be odd, but it also wouldn't be odd to call your son Jesus either.

Luckily we don't have similiar "Christian over reactions" in this country very often, but look at America.

There's a church over there that turns up at soldiers funerals, stands outside the cementry with banners proclaiming to the family that the reason their son died is because God hates homosexuals.

This church has very few members but has had two major documentaries made on it by British television alone.

Does that tell you everything about Christianity ? Of course it f*cking doesn't - neither does the Teddy in Sudan tell you everything about muslims.

Just to make a point, she didn't call the Teddy anything -it was a child in the class.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Apparently it is seen to be lucky for Moslem parents to have a son called Mohammed as they are honouring the prophet, it is certainly not considered blasphemy.

I reckon that if a child in an English primary school suggested that the class hamster should be called "Jesus", someone in authority would "have a word".

If the teacher was Sudanese, she'd probably get into deep trouble if she allowed this to pass without comment.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I reckon that if a child in an English primary school suggested that the class hamster should be called "Jesus", someone in authority would "have a word".

If the teacher was Sudanese, she'd probably get into deep trouble if she allowed this to pass without comment.

Yeah, she'd get slung in jail, given a 15 day prison sentence without anytime to prepare a defence and then immediately deported... :rolleyes:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reading between the lines its little to do with blasphemy in the islamic sence, more the local sudanese take on how they set up their laws. Muslims in general are quite embarrssed by the situation.

im thinking someone at the school reported it to stir up trouble and the regliously pious groups jumped up and down, after all what is this white woman even doing teaching their children? in an effort keep the peace the authorities have then played through to conviction. Best thing for everyone is they just deport her right away, and hope we dont stop giving money in the next famine appeal.

reading between the lines its little to do with blasphemy in the islamic sence, more the local sudanese take on how they set up their laws. Muslims in general are quite embarrssed by the situation.

im thinking someone at the school reported it to stir up trouble and the regliously pious groups jumped up and down, after all what is this white woman even doing teaching their children? in an effort keep the peace the authorities have then played through to conviction. Best thing for everyone is they just deport her right away, and hope we dont stop giving money in the next famine appeal.

Best thing is that muslims stop thinking that everything the West does is done to insult their religion.

How much money has been wasted in Sudan on this ridiculous prosecution? And now the inevitable appeal?

I'm not sure that muslims in general are embarrassed by this-there have been numerous 'man in the street' interviews shown on tv and they all seem to share the same views: insulting the prophet, insulting islam, etc., etc.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have a serious question for anybody who can answer this.

The boy who chose the name Mohammed for the Teddy is called Mohammed, were his parents blasphemous when they named him (in the image of 'the phrophet')? Or for that matter, the literally millions of Mohammeds around the world.

Would it be blasphemous to call a Teddy Jesus, as people are also called Jesus.

If she had called the teddy 'The Prophet Mohammed' then fair point that it might offend (but hey get over it anyway), but for just calling the teddy a run of the mill Islamic name that the kids have chosen.

I believe it was blasphemous because you can call boys Mohammed but not objects.

How much money has been wasted in Sudan on this ridiculous prosecution? And now the inevitable appeal?

I think you overestimate the Sudanese view of rights to defend yourself, etc.

I knew she was in trouble last night when on the 10 o'clock news they said that they judge had only heard 2 defence witnesses, and after that he'd dismissed the rest and said he'd 'heard enough'. Hardly suggested she was going to get a fair trial did it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Best thing is that muslims stop thinking that everything the West does is done to insult their religion.

I'm not sure that muslims in general are embarrassed by this-there have been numerous 'man in the street' interviews shown on tv and they all seem to share the same views: insulting the prophet, insulting islam, etc., etc.

the interviews are as much about our media presenting a biased view. not all muslims think everything the west does is an insult, its just a very vocal minority, just the same as theres a few christian fundementalists that still hold onto creationism and want it to be taught as science.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I believe it was blasphemous because you can call boys Mohammed but not objects.

Ok, quite true TD, and as I said, if you are well clued up or a scholar of such things then ok, but it strikes me that this secretary woman who reported it is just stiring up religious and racial hatred for the sake of self importance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
At what point does it become offensive? Every bloke gives their meat and 2 veg a name. Mine are called Steve and the twins. Would it be offensive for the boy to call his winkie Mohammed? If so, what about his entire bottom half? Yes?

But calling the entire boy Mohammed isn't offensive so there must be a cut-off point. What a dilemma for muslims. They wouldn't get in this mess if they called their sons Dwayne or Frank.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ok, quite true TD, and as I said, if you are well clued up or a scholar of such things then ok, but it strikes me that this secretary woman who reported it is just stiring up religious and racial hatred for the sake of self importance.

To quote the popular brain that is Stephen Fry - "Religion - Shit it !"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I reckon that if a child in an English primary school suggested that the class hamster should be called "Jesus", someone in authority would "have a word"..
If I had a hamster, I'd like to call it Lord Bracknell. :blasphemy:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Damn, I also now have the song "If I Had A Hamster" by Trini Lopez as an unshiftable earworm.

"I'd hamster in the morning, I'd hamster in the evening" :Richard Gere:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Damn, I also now have the song "If I Had A Hamster" by Trini Lopez as an unshiftable earworm.

"I'd hamster in the morning, I'd hamster in the evening" :Richard Gere:

Hey, hey, MoH. It's Friday! In honour of Lord Bracknell and the prophet Mohammed we could have a post a picture of a hamster thread. Something like this:

hamsterbarbell.jpg

EDIT - and of course, out of respect for little Maddie.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Be interested to know if we or any other Western Country gives Foriegn Aid to Sudan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here