Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This priority for away games rubbish

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
If you go to away games then thats because you want to not because it will get you priority for another game. You choose to go and watch them because you enjoy it (either that or you're masochists). If I shop in Tesco every day and you just pop in once they will not give me priority on the last loaf of bread. It's first come first served. Whats the problem? By giving priority to regulars you will create a little elitist club that new followers will find it impossible to break into. Why would you want to do that?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Because supply will outstrip demand

You don't read all the threads do you

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Beach Hut said:
Because supply will outstrip demand

So? That may be true of any business but they won't give you priority over a limited item just because you shop there more regularly than someone else, because that would seriously limit their potential to bring in new custom.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Quoted instead of editing:dunce:

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You have absolutely no concept of retailing have you.

Ever heard of loyalty cards etc - deals in front of other (fairweather fans) etc.

Where have you been these last few years ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Beach Hut said:
You have absolutely no concept of retailing have you.

Ever heard of loyalty cards etc - deals in front of other (fairweather fans) etc.

Where have you been these last few years ?
Rubbish. They will send you coupons and crap that you don't want but, for example, if they have a sought after item on offer they will not give it to a regular customer over a one off visitor. Otherwise how would you attract new custom?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
you are a marketing dream to be hooked- clueless

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Ok. Take this scenario. You and I are in a supermarket. You are a loyalty card holder and I am not. I pick up the last tin of special offer baked beans (or whatever). You scream"hey I'm a loyalty card holder". Are they going to take the product off me and give it to you or will they look at you like you're a nutter (moreso than usual)? If you think that loyalty cards are there to reward loyal customers and not a cheap way for businesses to gather market research then I'm afraid that you are clearly the one that is clueless.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You missed the point:

I would have been offered the tin of beans cheaper than you way before we even got to the store.

Market Research began way before this scenario.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
But you would still not get priority on the product over me would you? If I got there first I would walk away with the item. Unless you hit me round the back of the head with a baguette and took it out of my basket obviously.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No because my offer would not necessarily be purchasing direct being in the store.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It's not a bloody business. People are passionate about following the Albion.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Beach Hut said:
You missed the point:

I would have been offered the tin of beans cheaper than you way before we even got to the store.

Market Research began way before this scenario.

How can you offer another clubs "beans" at a cheaper price ?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatboy said:
It's not a bloody business. People are passionate about following the Albion.

Due to a lack of sarcastic smiley I'm not sure if thats a joke or not but I hope it is otherwise I'm glad you're not in charge of the club.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Football is not a supermarket.

If Tesco have no baked beans then I will go to Sainsbury's. That would not bother me.

It is not the same with a football club. You cannot go to another game if you miss out on a ticket.

People that shop for baked beans every week should get priority over baked beans. Especially as there are still enough tins of baked beans to sell to some of those big bean charlies who only want to buy the beans this week as they come in a nice tin.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Rangdo said:
Due to a lack of sarcastic smiley I'm not sure if thats a joke or not but I hope it is otherwise I'm glad you're not in charge of the club.

Well clearly it needs to make money but it should not be run in the way other businesses are run where the business would not sell who is sold what so long as all stock is sold.

People that go week in, week out, all across the country should not miss out for tickets to "big games" just because other people can be bothered to get out of their armchairs for these games.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Not meaning to pick on you Rangdo, as you are one of many against loyalty schemes - I suspect as it would lessen the chances of you getting away tickets for the big games - but exactly what away games have you been to?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Its gotta be first come first served in my opinion. Speaking as someone who is a season ticket holder and goes to a lot of away games.

I tend to disagree with this "it's season ticket holders who finance the club and therefore they should get priority.."

The atmosphere the away fans give is phenomenal compared to Withdean. We all know why, but you can't dismiss their support and the lift it gives the team. McGhee has commented on this, this season, as have managers in the past.

At the same time I think it would be unfair on season ticket holders to be pushed out over those who choose not to visit Withdean very often.

So in my opinion , it's gotta be a free for all.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
clapham_gull said:

I tend to disagree with this "it's season ticket holders who finance the club and therefore they should get priority.."

As many people have said, season ticket holders get priority over home tickets.

There should also be an away season ticket or some sort of loyalty scheme were regular away travellers - ie those who travel all over the country every other week, not those who can only be bothered to travel to Reading, QPR and any big or important game we might have - get priority over away tickets.

It happens at many other clubs with decent support, and it happens for England games.

The club will never implement it as they do not want to piss of the fair weather fans who they hppe to fill Falmer in the years to come.

God help us if we ever have 22,000 home fans and have to allocate away tickets fairly.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatboy said:
Not meaning to pick on you Rangdo, as you are one of many against loyalty schemes - I suspect as it would lessen the chances of you getting away tickets for the big games - but exactly what away games have you been to?
I won't take it personally. If it means that much to you I'll pm them to you but it's not really that relevant. I've supported the club for 15 odd years but if a new fan gets a ticket over me then I'll just hope that they'll turn into a fully fledged supporter. If we don't attract newbies, and Spurs and Cardiff are perfect opportunities, then how can we ever expect to fill even half of Falmer. As Clapham Gull says a free for all is fairest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here