Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RoyalAli said:
ask Neil Warnock...

Heres a funier phrase...

Noise at the Withdean.
Nope, you're wrong. Every now and then there IS noise at Withdean but there is NEVER an intimidating atmosphere at your place.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
WTF does Neil Warnock know? pretty much everybody in the league, including Sheff Utd fans, all agree the blokes a twat!

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
RoyalAli said:
Never when Brighton are in town...
Maybe people in Reading just don't take you seriously?

Quite agree. We are a light hearted jovial bunch who seldom take things seriously.

You didn't take us seriously at Elm Park why at the Syrupski stadia?

On the first day many Rs (is that u or QPR?) took us seriously but then the bankroll rolled in and we lost.

Tsk Tsk we must try harder and return with a better side funded by a really rich fellow.

I was in the west stand at the mad stad for the wigan game the other week as a neutral (ish anyway) viewer.

Quite honestly the atmosphere was pathetic and I got stared at several times for explaining to the ref that he seemed to have lost touch with his mother and father and they never seemed to formalise their relationship. I know home fans are always quiet but th atmos at mad stad is NOT intimidating.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I watch Reading fairly often and can honestly say the noise at big Withdean games (Chesterfield, Cardiff, Swindon etc) is much louder than anything i've heard from Reading at home. I'd say the attendance at Reading is about 7000 die hards + people who just want to see a match, not support reading.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good call Artois - it's own thread is fully deserved.

Is there a definition of "intimidating" of which I am unaware ? Is there emphasis on the "timid" ?

Perhaps it is the juxtaposition of "atmosphere" that changes it's definition.

I will have to pass this over to the NSC wordsmiths.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah but just imagine the WHITE HOT atmosphere at elm park for the RAUCIOUS Reading v Aldershot derby in front of nearly 5,000.

Proper passion, that was.

:jester:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the ONLY time the Mad Stad is full and possibly intimidating (if you're a barman perhaps):
_1623059_madjeski_300.jpg

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
RoyalAli said:
Never when Brighton are in town...
Maybe people in Reading just don't take you seriously?

Even when we came to you when it was a crunch title decider and a full house there was no atmosphere from the reading fans.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've been reading NSC for quite a few years and this is without doubt that daftest claim I have ever seen - even Twatford O's risible flights of fancy about Orient overtaking us etc. had more credibility.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
I've been reading NSC for quite a few years and this is without doubt that daftest claim I have ever seen - even Twatford O's risible flights of fancy about Orient overtaking us etc. had more credibility.
To be fair, no it didn't.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
To be fair, no it didn't.

Come off it, just have a little read of this again:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RoyalAli
intimidating atmosphere at the Madejski
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here