Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This may be a little harsh but...

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
"Of" is not a verb. In future I'd like to propose a lifetime ban for anyone who types "could of" when they mean "could have". I appreciate this might put me at odds with the people who argue that they are more interested in content than correct grammar but someone has to take a stand.

Thank you for taking a few seconds to listen to the childish rantings of a proud pedant.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agreed!

Although you could of said it in fewer words.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Of" is not a verb. In future I'd like to propose a lifetime ban for anyone who types "could of" when they mean "could have". I appreciate that this might put me at odds with the people who argue that they are more interested in content than correct grammar, but someone has to take a stand.

Thank you for taking a few seconds to listen to the childish rantings of a proud pedant.

:whistle:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I appreciate this might put me at odds with the people who argue that they are more interested in content than correct grammar but someone has to take a stand.
Try using a comma before 'but'.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Coulda shoulda woulda Giraffe. I'm nothing if not verbose. Thanks for your support.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Agreed. And also for people who spell lose, loose. Also those who want to say 'we are' by typing 'we're' but then don't bother with the ' so it's written 'were'. They do it on purpose just to annoy me. :rolleyes:

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
(insert one of those funny @ things here) London Blue - it's your duty as a fellow ex-East Preston resident to agree. Do it for Mr Phillips , Mrs Waller , Mr Hill and all those other great guardians of primary school educashun in EP in the 60s and 70s.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
could of but ain't got no clue wha ya on abiyt...

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Bozza, can I suggest you rename this board the Community Police Officer board. I know I wind people up, its just what I do without harm to anyone (it's called lighthearted). But heaven forgive you if you make a simple spelling mistake, they are on you like a rash (they know who they are). Lately, it's been cries of "ban" him or ban her if said persons do not agree with the posters thinking. From day one I have always read this board and still do but like many others who used to visit this forum as a "board of debate" feel it's becoming tedious that people have to offer an apology before they make their point. That was certainly not why this board was set up. In future when someone calls for a ban on anyone, dare I suggest they provide a full and frank case for calling that ban !

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I wasn't serious in proposing a lifetime ban Jimbo. I just started my Saturday morning browsing NSC and someone saying "could of" rather than "could have" stood out. It was intended as the kind of lighthearted thread you yourself (rightly in my opinion) highlight as being one of the reasons this board has so many posters. Totally agree that wanton racism and other offensive posts are more deserving of a ban.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"could of" is now accepted as part of English written speech , our language evolves over a period of time. Dont worry , in a few years time all posts on NSC will be in txt spk anyway.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I wasn't serious in proposing a lifetime ban Jimbo. I just started my Saturday morning browsing NSC and someone saying "could of" rather than "could have" stood out. It was intended as the kind of lighthearted thread you yourself (rightly in my opinion) highlight as being one of the reasons this board has so many posters. Totally agree that wanton racism and other offensive posts are more deserving of a ban.

serious question-is "have" due to a past tense kind of thing(??),English Lit & Lan was poor & i only (not a wind up)read the Sun.....

Edit:eek:k the Argus as well

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
serious question-is "have" due to a past tense kind of thing(??),English Lit & Lan was poor & i only (not a wind up)read the Sun.....

Edit:eek:k the Argus as well

Yes - As in "I could have done better but etc" typically gets shortened to "could've" in speech which is probably where of gets wrongly substituted in the written form.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's like-can you do that quickly
As soon as possible
a.s.a.p
&
now
A SAP

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!