Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This KERFUFFLE surrounding the Delhi commonwealth games

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
But that isn't the issue, this is to do with the standard of the facilities not whether it will make any money.

The point is that we are throwing money that we think we can afford at 2012 whereas India is putting what it can afford into the Commonwealth Games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The point is that we are throwing money that we think we can afford at 2012 whereas India is putting what it can afford into the Commonwealth Games.
So you're saying we mustn't be judgemental because we're engineering our facilities properly but at considerable expense whereas India is cutting corners causing turds to float through the village owing to flooding, a bridge to collapse and a roof to cave in, but that's OK because they know they didn't have the money to do it properly? ???

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

but the facilities need to be built to a certain standard, if they knew they couldn't afford to do that then they should never have bid for the games in the first place. They have had 7 years to prepare, plenty of time to get things right and not be rushing to get it all ready at the end.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... The best quote was from one Indian government minister: "Western people have different standards of hygiene to us."
So bushy was right after all *strokes chin reflectively*.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

How on earth do you know that about Indian resources ?

Sources please.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Did I just wake up in 1975? ???

baycityrollers146.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So you're saying we mustn't be judgemental because we're engineering our facilities properly but at considerable expense whereas India is cutting corners causing turds to float through the village owing to flooding, a bridge to collapse and a roof to cave in, but that's OK because they know they didn't have the money to do it properly? ???

No I am making the point that we are spending a lot of cash which I think we will lose out on. Earlier this year I was working for a government quango that is heavily involved with the promotion of the London Olympics and judging by the amount of cash they on their own were spending I have grave doubts that this will pay for itself. The Indians cannot fork out what's needed but I think they will do their best to make amends.

At a time when we have a government that's going on about cuts to public services it's a concern.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
It's a farce and the games should be cancelled. The best quote was from one Indian government minister: "Western people have different standards of hygiene to us."

I had to laugh at that comment, I think even the most basic standards of cleanliness and hygiene wherever you are from in the world would generally include not finding faeces scattered around your room and a feral dog asleep on your bed :sick:

Unfortunately to many extents India is still very much a 3rd world country with the infrastructure, working practices and problems that go with it. Added to that the endemic ingrained corruption that infects every aspect of Indian life, It is no surprise that this games is looking like a train wreck.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I lived in Delhi from 2001 until 2005. During that time we saw a lot of investment in infrastructure and I am told by friends still there that this has continued apace since we left.

One thing that struck me about the big building projects that we saw was that Health & Safety considerations simply didn't exist there. One of the charities out there provided day care for children of manual labourers on these projects. If this service was not provided the labourers simply brought their children to the site where they would promptly drop off the end of a flyover, fall into a cement mixer, etc.

The tales that have come through in the last few days do not surprise me at all. I am afraid that tales of poor sanitation, badly installed plumbing and the like more or less come as standard in India.

It is very sad, as I would desperately like to see the country succeed in hosting the games but I really feel that they should be pulled. At the very least, I feel the Home Nations are perfectly entitled to say thanks but no thanks. Security is an issue and it is not as though this is simply a case of athletes missing home comforts. Dengue fever is a risk and arenas are falling apart.

After Delhi, I went to Abuja in Nigeria for three years. I almost shat myself when they applied to host the games.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
India has some incredibly rich people. Mumbai has more millionaires living there than New York, with the cheap labour available to them, there's no reason they couldn't have done this properly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How on earth do you know that about Indian resources ?

Sources please.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that India doesn't have that much money to chuck around does it ?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
After Delhi, I went to Abuja in Nigeria for three years. I almost shat myself when they applied to host the games.

Imagine that :ohmy:

"Dear Esteemed English Athlete,

I am honoured to report in this instance of your beneficial recipience of the amount of US$9.2 million due in part to the death of a Mr Daniel Akuba, the late organiser of the 2010 Commonwealth games who our records show died intestate and without any heirs. Our investigations conclude that you are the sole remaining familial connection and therefore heir to his estate. We would very much like to process this matter expediently to your satisfaction. We would ask that you remit in the first instance the sum of US$3,650 which will satisfy the solicitors and pay the Federal Reserve Bank of Nigeria's release fees and also guarantee a gold medal in your chosen event."

Marmaduke Umbuntu
Shack 6
Shanty town 2A
Lagos
Nigeria

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Out of interest, how many miles away WOULD it be possible for someone to be located and sort out your bank account? Would Glasgow be OK? Merthyr? Why should that make a difference? I suspect that's a question of perception rather than genuine efficiency.

I agree with adrian29uk but not because of the distance. I despise non-UK based call centres as they provide no felxability. The person can not move from the script and usually doesn't understand your issue.

I used to have by business banking with HSBC. Only once did I call their Indian call centre. I gave my account details and branch. Stupid idiot then told me they couldn't help as they didn't know where Crawley was - the branch I banked with !!!!! Strangely when I went to see my business manager and threaterned to move my account I was given the number of a UK call centre who were always willing and capable of helping even if it meant moving away from the script.

I now try and avoid using companies that use non-UK call centres ( even though I'm employed by one that does !!!! ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here