Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This KERFUFFLE surrounding the Delhi commonwealth games

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What's your take on it?

Some of the pics I saw made the athletes village look absolutely disgusting, and that bridge collapsing is pretty poor.

How can a country the size of India fail to do something like this properly? Not very impressive really!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's a farce and the games should be cancelled. The best quote was from one Indian government minister: "Western people have different standards of hygiene to us."

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
i see a false ceiling has collapsed in the main arena today too!
scotland have delayed sending their team out too...

is it gonna actually go ahead???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What's your take on it?

Some of the pics I saw made the athletes village look absolutely disgusting, and that bridge collapsing is pretty poor.

How can a country the size of India fail to do something like this properly? Not very impressive really!

Despite the fact that India is a rapidly growing economy it is still very poor and they have a lot of other things to spend money on. Most of the people of Indian extraction who've been there have told me how much the disliked it (make that hated) thanks in no small part to the poverty. I hope that they get it sorted as they could use the cash.

I might add that a lot of people moan about talking to call centres there but the poor sods on the other end have to follow a script and if they deviate from it they stand a good chance of being fired, something that is far more serious there than here. We use an Indian based monitoring service for the servers we support and you won't find a nicer bunch anywhere.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Do they not have inspection teams to make sure these things dont happen? Sadly its too late to hold somewhere else now.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This is a big chance for India to show the rest of the world how far they have come with the influx of new money. They have failed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got to say that I'm not entirely surprised. I was in Delhi just under a year ago and I remember looking at the stadium and site and wondering how the hell they were going to finish it on time.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Do they not have inspection teams to make sure these things dont happen? Sadly its too late to hold somewhere else now.

When it looked like Poland were slipping in their schedule for the 2012 Euros, UEFA made backup plans for some games to be hosted in Germany. That was a couple of years ago and the problems now seem to have been resolved. Nevertheless, I'm sure the threat of losing the games and also the knowledge that there were backup plans played a part in Poland sorting their act out.

The Commonwealth games bods should really have done the same a year or more ago - giving Dehli a kick up the arse and also ensuring that there are backup plans. There are plenty of other places with the stadia and the infrastructure, unfortunately now is too late to change anything.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
They've known since 2003 that they were staging these games.

Exactly right-it's not like they only had a couple of years to get ready.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Before getting too judgemental let's see if the 2012 Olympics break even and if and when they don't how long will it take to finish paying for it.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Well I think the botched jobs they've done have been excellent for the games.

I had no idea they were taking place until I heard this news.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Despite the fact that India is a rapidly growing economy it is still very poor and they have a lot of other things to spend money on. Most of the people of Indian extraction who've been there have told me how much the disliked it (make that hated) thanks in no small part to the poverty. I hope that they get it sorted as they could use the cash.

I might add that a lot of people moan about talking to call centres there but the poor sods on the other end have to follow a script and if they deviate from it they stand a good chance of being fired, something that is far more serious there than here. We use an Indian based monitoring service for the servers we support and you won't find a nicer bunch anywhere.

I know they are very polite always. It's not their fault, and I always consider this when they call me, but from my point of view its just impossible to sort anything out when the customer services are thousands of miles away and you have a problem with your bank account, internet and other services.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know they are very polite always. It's not their fault, and I always consider this when they call me, but from my point of view its just impossible to sort anything out when the customer services are thousands of miles away and you have a problem with your bank account, internet and other services.

Out of interest, how many miles away WOULD it be possible for someone to be located and sort out your bank account? Would Glasgow be OK? Merthyr? Why should that make a difference? I suspect that's a question of perception rather than genuine efficiency.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Before getting too judgemental let's see if the 2012 Olympics break even and if and when they don't how long will it take to finish paying for it.

There is a slight difference between whether a games will make money and whether a stadium will collapse killing atheletes and spectators

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

But that isn't the issue, this is to do with the standard of the facilities not whether it will make any money.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Quite so but who writes the scripts ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here