Celtic v Villarreal
Dynamo Kiev v Fenerbahce
FC Porto v Arsenal
Juventus v BATE Borisov
Lyon v Bayern Munich
Man Utd v AaB
Real Madrid v Zenit St Petersburg
Steaua Bucuresti v Fiorentina

Each and every one of them is completely POINTLESS. Dead rubber. Meaningless friendly. Nothing riding on them whatsoever. ALL the big boys are through already. I ache, I ACHE for the old format of the European Cup, just Champions vs Champions all the way through, where everything is on a KNIFE edge in every single fixture.

Has there ever been a more meaningless night of European football than tonight ?

Probably not, but most will have been sold out long ago; the competition is all about.....

Attachments

• money.jpg
    money.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 154

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look at Leeds

I'd rather not.
But most clubs who make it to the CL are not blessed with a potless imbecile in charge of the purse strings. When it comes down to "How NOT To Run a Football Club", Ridsdale wrote the book.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Champions League, 32 teams, the top two from 'major' leagues (Spain, Italy, England, France, Germany), plus Champions from the rest, maybe 2nd placed sides if they come through qualifying. Two legged knockout tournament, unseeded draw, no away goals.

UEFA Cup (which is even more tedious with it's horrendous format - an uneven group stage to make the last 150 :rolleyes: ), also 32 teams, same format.

Triumphant return of the Cup Winners Cup.

European football, DONE.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
From a television watching piont of view the group games are pretty much rubbish, But from a father who's got a Chelsea supporting son they've saved me a fortune. It means I can take him to watch them for roughly the same cost as watching the Albion.

Stumpy Tim

Or how about a 2 divisioned European Super League, where the top 40 teams in Europe have their own competition, and we can have an interesting Premier League again? Say goodbye to Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd & Liverpool in England. Say goodbye to Rangers & Celtic in Scotland. That would appeal to me

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Why was it ever changed from the European Cup, Uefa Cup & Cup Winners Cup?... A format that actually DID work properly... Oh yes, of course, it's all about business and money grabbing ***** these days isn't it!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed about the boring and endlessly repetitive nature of the competition.
There actually was a game with something at stake last night as Steaua and Fiorentina were battling for a UEFA cup place.

The only aspect of this year's tournament that has been mildly diverting for me has been watching Anorthosis scare, and almost displace, some of the bigger sides and that is largely because my wife's family are Cypriot.

There actually was a game with something at stake last night as Steaua and Fiorentina were battling for a UEFA cup place.

And that, in a nutshell, says what is wrong with the competition. It's a complete and total farce when a team that finishes third (yes THIRD, that's one from bottom) of a group moves into the next competition. It's all done to ensure that the 'big' clubs remain in European football for as long as possible, and it's all BOLLOCKS.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Why are us Brighton fans concerned at the state of the champions League ? Not as if we are gonna be anywhere near it in our life time is it ? We should watching the lower leagues as thats where we're likely to be heading.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Why are us Brighton fans concerned at the state of the champions League ? Not as if we are gonna be anywhere near it in our life time is it ? We should watching the lower leagues as thats where we're likely to be heading.

Watch Setanta Blue Square Premier :thumbsup: Better than that Champions league shit

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
It's all about greed and keeping the top clubs richer than the rest. I lost interest when it ceased to be a competition for Champions. Ulitimately it's the greed of the top prem clubs that forces us to pay ridiculous prices to watch 3rd division football. If it wasn't for the relentless greed of all clubs to get on the Premiership gravy train we'd prob be paying less than a tenner a time to watch the Albion.

In 2006/7, Lyon earned 5,200,000 Euros from the Champions League in so-called 'prize money', despite not making it past the first knockout stage (nor indeed even scoring in the first knockout stage).

Whenever I hear Ferguson et al complain about 'player burnout', I scream 'then argue for the abolition of the bloated mess that is the group stage of the Champions League then, you complete nob'. And then wipe the spittle off my TV screen.

I hate the CHampions League; four years ago I vowed never again to watch a group stage match. I have stuck to that and, as a result, have found myself forgetting about the competition completely. I've seen the odd match (usually in highlights only) since then, and not watched any of the finals.

It's shite. Boycott it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or how about a 2 divisioned European Super League, where the top 40 teams in Europe have their own competition, and we can have an interesting Premier League again? Say goodbye to Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd & Liverpool in England. Say goodbye to Rangers & Celtic in Scotland. That would appeal to me

I think you will find that is exactly why the Champions League was formed, to prevent the G18 or whatever, breaking away and forming their own league. The problem is that the CL provides a product to meet the demand of the armchair fan. If no one watched the matches on Sky and ITV then they would soon ditch the tournament and the so called big four would lose that financial advantage. However, it won't happen because most of the people that complain about will still switch on to watch just because it's on. The TV companies can then justify their investment and reap the benefits of the advertising revenue. It's the same arguement with the Premier League. People complain but they still subscribe and watch the matches on a Sunday afternoon. It's all about supply and demand.

Exactly. I follow two teams, Brighton and England. The rest can go and screw themselves.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
EIGHT fixtures tonight:

Celtic v Villarreal
Dynamo Kiev v Fenerbahce
FC Porto v Arsenal
Juventus v BATE Borisov
Lyon v Bayern Munich
Man Utd v AaB
Real Madrid v Zenit St Petersburg
Steaua Bucuresti v Fiorentina

Each and every one of them is completely POINTLESS. Dead rubber. Meaningless friendly. Nothing riding on them whatsoever. ALL the big boys are through already. I ache, I ACHE for the old format of the European Cup, just Champions vs Champions all the way through, where everything is on a KNIFE edge in every single fixture.

Has there ever been a more meaningless night of European football than tonight ?

There is ,as I know you know,absolutely NO CHANCE of a return to the good old days of a champions only competition.This prolongs the absurd quest for the top four in the Premiership,so that second ,third,and fourth are as good as the winners with slightly less prizemoney and no pot.And what would we do without the pretentious claims of fixture congestion,etc,etc. from the managers of the top four?

Champions League? Misnomer,what?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I remember those "European " nights in the 70's when Liverpool were so good. There was no draw advantage right from round one and you could draw anyone from Real Madrid to some obscure club from Cyprus. two legs, home and away, winner progresses. Thats the real way to win a European cup... oh and only genuine "Champions" of each country's domestic league allowed to enter......

:thumbsup:

and the cup winners played in the cup winner cup and those who were not good enough to win their league went into the Uefa cup.

Champions league is crap - end of - even that song is crap

Mar 13, 2008
I am 100% sure you would all change your tune if we came 4th every year (in the prem).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here