Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is really quite sad...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was walking around town earlier, and as I went along the side of the park in the town centre, saw a lad aged maybe eighteen, nineteen, walking towards me, earphones in, listening to music.

As I passed him, he took his earphones out, turned around and said "Excuse me...I know this probably sounds really desperate, but I wondered where you work, and if you knew of any jobs going?".

Said he'd been looking for ages and couldn't get work anywhere. I explained what I did and said he'd be best off contacting the organisation etc etc. He said thanks, smiled and went on.

He seemed a perfectly decent, respectable lad, well spoken & dressed, didn't look like a dimwit, habitual criminal or whatever. Nothing that would make you think "there's a reason employers are turning you down, pal". Not sure quite what this has to do with NSC really, but I suppose I'm just deeply struck by the fact that a young lad is so desperate to find work in these times that he's stopping total strangers in the street and asking them. It's not like we even live in an area where unemployment is rife. Perhaps if I did, I wouldn't be so surprised at something like this happening.

How sad is that though? I don't mean what he was doing, as it does show a bit of initiative, not to mention balls, but at the fact that times are so tough he has to do it in the first place. Those of us with jobs perhaps don't always appreciate how lucky we are (or how much other people genuinely want to work).

I do hope he finds something soon. And anyone on here in the same position :thumbsup:

I was walking around town earlier, and as I went along the side of the park in the town centre, saw a lad aged maybe eighteen, nineteen, walking towards me, earphones in, listening to music.

As I passed him, he took his earphones out, turned around and said "Excuse me...I know this probably sounds really desperate, but I wondered where you work, and if you knew of any jobs going?".

Said he'd been looking for ages and couldn't get work anywhere. I explained what I did and said he'd be best off contacting the organisation etc etc. He said thanks, smiled and went on.

He seemed a perfectly decent, respectable lad, well spoken & dressed, didn't look like a dimwit, habitual criminal or whatever. Nothing that would make you think "there's a reason employers are turning you down, pal". Not sure quite what this has to do with NSC really, but I suppose I'm just deeply struck by the fact that a young lad is so desperate to find work in these times that he's stopping total strangers in the street and asking them. It's not like we even live in an area where unemployment is rife. Perhaps if I did, I wouldn't be so surprised at something like this happening.

How sad is that though? I don't mean what he was doing, as it does show a bit of initiative, not to mention balls, but at the fact that times are so tough he has to do it in the first place. Those of us with jobs perhaps don't always appreciate how lucky we are (or how much other people genuinely want to work).

I do hope he finds something soon. And anyone on here in the same position :thumbsup:

We have at least 3 a day walk into our reception area asking for work, some of them are 50+.

Makes me feel very grateful I have a job, one that I've been in for 20 years but also insecure that it could well happen to me at any time.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is indeed sad... and I worry for my kids and their employment and housing prospects. It is going to be a really tough over the next few years.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I work in recruitment, and I speak to a lot of unemployed people and it is sad sometimes,

I speak to guys that at one point in their career, they were the shit. They were earning megabucks in managerial roles, and within a 2 year period they cant find work and are applying for jobs that they were doing 10-15 years ago on less than a quarter of their previous salary...

And it's even harder for graduates or people that are looking for first employment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was just speaking about this today.

3-4 years ago I thought about changing my job.
I distinctly remember the Thursday Argus banner, being 'over 700 jobs in today's paper'.

After Cardiff I brought the Thursday Argus (assuming it's still the jobs day) it had just 27 jobs advertised.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We have at least 3 a day walk into our reception area asking for work, some of them are 50+.

Makes me feel very grateful I have a job, one that I've been in for 20 years but also insecure that it could well happen to me at any time.

Yeah, I'd expect someone with a bit of drive about them to go to companies and ask, but the idea of approaching random strangers on the street suggests the lad must be really struggling. Like I said, he wasn't stupid at all, he seemed smart enough, and 100% genuine and polite. There was nothing about him that might make you think twice about employing him.

This was in Burgess Hill, it's not like it's some northern ex-mining town with mass unemployment and a complete loss of hope. If kids around here are reduced to that, it's just a bit depressing.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
According to the unemployment figures published today

29,892 people out of work in Sussex 3.1% of the working population
6,959 of those are in Brighton & Hove

Oct 25, 2003
that's why i'm going back to uni......struggling to find work in this shitstorm so i'm just going to get as qualified as possible for when it starts to get better (hopefully)

Yeah, I'd expect someone with a bit of drive about them to go to companies and ask, but the idea of approaching random strangers on the street suggests the lad must be really struggling. Like I said, he wasn't stupid at all, he seemed smart enough, and 100% genuine and polite. There was nothing about him that might make you think twice about employing him.

This was in Burgess Hill, it's not like it's some northern ex-mining town with mass unemployment and a complete loss of hope. If kids around here are reduced to that, it's just a bit depressing.

We're on the Victoria Industrial Estate in Burgess Hill.

For some reason my company has a policy of not even interviewing anyone who comes knocking at doors even though I class it as having a bit of gumption about you.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes it sad and all and I'm sure there are allot of young people out there who are desperate to find work and are really struggling. HOWEVER I'm willing to bet allot of those aren't trying as hard as they make out.

For example, I have two active roles at the moment and we're really struggling to fill them. One of them is entry level and no experience necessary. We have people apply and their CVs are so bad that you wouldn't even dream of seeing them. Then you get the people who you do agree to see, quite often they are late or simply just don't turn up or if they do turn up they are awful.

Was in our recruitment office last week speaking to our recruitment guy and he informed me they'd had a role which they had over 100 applicants, they whittled it down to 30, 18 confirmed they'd turn up for interview and only 8 turned up!

I have sympathy for anyone who is out of work as it's not a nice place to be BUT having been on the other side of the coin I don't buy all of their sob stories.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

For some reason my company has a policy of not even interviewing anyone who comes knocking at doors even though I class it as having a bit of gumption about you.

Strange policy by your company... Any idea why they are anti somebody pro actively seeking employment?

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton

I work on the same estate, and we have people coming to the office enquiring about potential job's, thankfully we take CV's in and if they are half decent we give them a call..but its not often...

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

That is very sad & one small example of what is wrong in modern day Britain. ie, lack of the personal touch. There's no logic to not accepting a CV from a personal caller. Oh yes, let me guess? The old chestnut, 'Company Policy'?

Another issue is many companies (ASDA for example) only advertise & accept applications via the Internet. All fine if you have Internet access & are computer literate. Not everyone owns a PC or has access to one. Those who are on the poverty line & seeking work may not be able to afford Internet? The chicken & egg syndrome. Not accepting CV's via personal caller certainly discriminates against these people.

So many companies make you jump through ridiculous hoops these days just for the most basic of jobs. If the boot was on the other foot & there was a Labour shortage, I'm sure the procedures may not be so rigorous?

But as the OP says, a sad story. I hope the lad gets fixed up soon.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
that's why i'm going back to uni......struggling to find work in this shitstorm so i'm just going to get as qualified as possible for when it starts to get better (hopefully)
I'm contemplating doing the same at the moment , it's a sad state of affairs

Strange policy by your company... Any idea why they are anti somebody pro actively seeking employment?

Sent from my iPhone using P+ R

I suspect as HR has been taken over by a woman who's daughter works in Recruitment it may be that. But that's just a suspicion.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I'm contemplating doing the same at the moment , it's a sad state of affairs

And I am doing the same now. Had a post-uni gap year working in a school last year and now doing a part-time MA over 2 years in conjunction with a part-time waiting job and full-time singing job (which I have just gained a promotion in). Not too sure about the career at this stage but being able to live within my means is as much as I can do at the moment, I think.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Yes it sad and all and I'm sure there are allot of young people out there who are desperate to find work and are really struggling. HOWEVER I'm willing to bet allot of those aren't trying as hard as they make out.

For example, I have two active roles at the moment and we're really struggling to fill them. One of them is entry level and no experience necessary. We have people apply and their CVs are so bad that you wouldn't even dream of seeing them. Then you get the people who you do agree to see, quite often they are late or simply just don't turn up or if they do turn up they are awful.

Was in our recruitment office last week speaking to our recruitment guy and he informed me they'd had a role which they had over 100 applicants, they whittled it down to 30, 18 confirmed they'd turn up for interview and only 8 turned up!

I have sympathy for anyone who is out of work as it's not a nice place to be BUT having been on the other side of the coin I don't buy all of their sob stories.

Completely agree with you. Currently we are advertising for 2 software sales roles - basically targeting graduate-style oportunities. Working for the UK's largest private software company on a £25k + £10k role. Based near Slough / Windsor.

I have interviewed 28 candidates since January 5th.

Made 5 offers all of which were met with the response - yes I'm really interested but would expect a basic of £30k as i am a graduate.

f*** sake!!!! How can it be this hard in this environment to find some people who have a little ambition, some drive, intelligent and articulate and want to get on.

Clearly it would seem it is very hard.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd happily accept a CV if someone wanted to hand deliver one, although I think it looks more professional to send them in, with a letter, to be honest.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Made 5 offers all of which were met with the response - yes I'm really interested but would expect a basic of £30k as i am a graduate.

There's an easy answer to that one, then, isn't there. Blimey, nearly 50% over the national average wage and they can't be arsed - can't be that desperate can they.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here