Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Holroyd chap....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I know someone who used to play for crawley and he told me that a couple of players were making more there than they used to get playing pro football.

They did have a regular job, but that coupled with what they get for football and it wasn't worth their while turning pro again

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
No idea what he's on, no idea what we've offered, and to be honest I don't care.

There is only one reason I hope he doesn't sign and that's because we've got far too many non-league players already.

I think that this is the point where people usually post a picture of a nail being hit on the head.

The general concensus seems to be that the guy is fast but other than that no great shakes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
well he has now been told "sign in the next 24/48 hours or no deal" by GP (see Argus) so we will know by Saturday morning whatever

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's amazing the number of people who must know the ins and outs of the contract negotiations here. I assume they do seeing as he's a "prick" amongst other things

Another case of someone believing contract negotiations are the same as portrayed in "Football Manager 2010" - make a bid & it's sorted within a day

FM is not that simple!! :rant: :lol:

If the rumours about his wage at Cambridge are true then he's probably on more than we would want to offer for an unproven non-league striker. Wouldn't be at all suprised if this falls through if those rumours are true. Might be able to negotiate a decent apps/goal bonus or wage increase after x number of games/goals though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its no great loss to us one way or the other. We're not desperate for another striker this season. Forster and Murray are both playing well, Dickinsons doing ok, and the midfield are chipping in with the odd goal here and there. If this chap doesn't agree terms by the weekend then so be it, we'll say goodbye and (if needs be) look at the loans market.

The SERIOUS recruitment will start in the summer. Barring injury, Holroyd would just be fringe player here anyway this season, a fact he is probably aware of.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem this prolonged negotiation (whether he's justified in delaying or not) is that if he finally signs, when he makes his début he will be met with a general attitude of "All right, you held the club to ransom, show us you're worth it!... What, five minutes not enough for you to turn around a 3 goal deficit? That's not good enough sonny. Let's drop him until he can actually show us he's worth the money."

He will have perhaps unrealistic expectations put on him, and won't get a fair shake.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You can't blame the guy for cutting a good deal for himself but I wonder if he knows how our fickle fanbase is likely to respond to the whole fiasco.

He could have arrived with a kind of Peter Ward fanfare (non league, speedy and skillful with something to prove). Instead he has been made to look ungrateful of his big chance by the club reporting his move too early.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I took so long to post that I see Acker kind of beat me to it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It's wrong to assume BSP players have other jobs. Excepting for 3/4 teams they are all full time pros, Cambridge included. The days of postman/refuse collecter/window cleaner etc. are confined to the majority of teams of BSQ South & North & leagues below these.
Cambridge are in financial trouble, as are Oxford etc. as their wage bill for some 'top' players is very high, and that is where the problem will lay.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Cambridge are in financial trouble, as are Oxford etc. as their wage bill for some 'top' players is very high, and that is where the problem will lay.

Its a problem that can affect clubs at all levels, and eventually will see the demise of the Premiership.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bit tough to blame the club for leaking the news when there is a full time industry focussed on finding out what is happening behind the scenes. It actually leaked from the Cambridge end first.

The reality is that when this lad went into non-league a year or so ago he had offers from league clubs but chose to go to Cambridge who are known to pay very well (£1200pw/£60Kpa has been suggested by their supporters as being Holroyd's current salary). Are we likely to have matched or bettered this for a relatively unproven talent? I suspect we have experienced pros on less........................

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The reality is that.........£1200pw/£60Kpa has been suggested by their supporters as being Holroyd's current salary.... Are we likely to have matched or bettered this for a relatively unproven talent? I suspect we have experienced pros on less........................

It looks very much like the Dean Hammond/Bas Savage issue from a couple of years ago. If we agree his terms then we'd be breaking the wage structure and it could lead to many more problems with the other players. Probably best to leave alone if he won't agree with our offer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or just do a Palace and pay him and his agent whatever the f*** they want. Worry about it later.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Or just do a Palace and pay him whatever the f*** he wants. Worry about it later.
Far to sensible answer for nsc.You know that, i know that but nsc doesn't work like that David.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here