Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This February weekend in 1997

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
same weather
same opposition
same result?

where you there? always good to hear the stories of the day when football came together

brighton-fans-united-feb-1997-1.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unbelievable day, never replicated since despite efforts from us and other clubs.

The game that saved us, on and off the pitch, IMHO, as that was when we started to believe there was a way out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep - truly wonderful.

However thinking back, what we need this season is a replication of our home form in the second half of that season.

From 'today' onwards we played 9, winning 8 and drawing 1.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair Bozza, our home form isn't exactly shocking this season, give or take a couple of draws that should have been wins...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Remember heading down not knowing what to expect, seeing more and more cars displaying other teams' colours. Got to the Dyke Road roundabout in the fog and saw a bunch of Norwich fans broken down, looking for directions to the ground...that was the moment when we realised something special was going to happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair Bozza, our home form isn't exactly shocking this season, give or take a couple of draws that should have been wins...

I'm not suggesting otherwise. But those results could count for little if we're not able to keep going strongly.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ah yes It was Feb 8th wasn't it? Two Arsenal Fans and Spurs fan I had worked with in the City down. Plus my old boss Maurice who was Stockport fanatic , who actually appears on the clips holding his Stockport scarf (bobble hat and 90's beard) I think he was one of the first 'away' fans there, so courted much of the media attention about midday. Shh..... he only lived in Nevill Road.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm not suggesting otherwise. But those results could count for little if we're not able to keep going strongly.

The only games we have dropped points from at Home were to last minute equalizers to Bristol Rovers Bournemouth and Rochdale and Kish's last minute missed sitter against Charlton.

Three of those games should have been well out of reach to the oppostion once the board went up.

Saying that though I have an uncomfortable feeling about this afternoon isn't this the first club we have met who have aleady beaten us this season?

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great day,in a nightmare season.Anyone remember the bloke in the north stand on someones shoulders orchestrating the Go left Go left song with his own words?.It was so funny but the only bit i remember now was 'go left go left,Archer has got some front,Ballotti is a f*****g C**t'!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The goals we scored that day were the difference in the end, as Steve Gritt played his part in dragging this wonderful club up to the absolute height of our expectations for that season, 23rd!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I remember the Real Madrid flag in the West Stand? North Stand was rockin. At the time, I did not really know what it was about. I knew it was Fans United with fans from all over the world and it was to save the club.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Is the chap who came up with the idea lost? Someone should find him in time for the opening of The Amex.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Fantastic day - although framed by anger, desperation and sadness - it was genuinely moving to see so many other clubs' fans show up in support

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I travelled down from Birmingham - stopped at the pease pottage services and there were fans from all over and all coming to Brighton. I didn't know until then just how much impact our situation had made

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
amazing day, hough was worried the fog coul ruin it. The gut leading the 'go left go right' chants was a Chelsea fan and not long after Matthew Harding died in the chopper crash. remember a nice chant of 'one Matthew Harding' in the second half to show our appreciation.
Having said that, thinking of thre 'thank you for coming' chant still sends shivers down my spine. felt so proud that so many people came to help our cause

FOOTBALL UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here